To all those QQing about how "bad" ret is.

90 Human Paladin
THANK YOU ALL!!

Personally I saw no need for any further buffs, I looked at 5.3 notes and saw the cost reduction of might and kings and nodded in contentment, the charts are topped and all is right with the world (providing encounter mechanics aren't too severely detrimental). Next thing I know, I check again a couple days later and find this happy surprise. I used to think to myself "all those bads QQing about how ret is trash, are just bad or severely misinformed/delusional." I take it back, you guys are all champions for convincing blizz to effectively double my raid efficacy with "Sword of Light: Increases the damage you deal with two-handed melee weapons by 30% (Up from 15%)." I am truly grateful to you all. In the event blizz decides not to grant me this massive nuke, that's ok too since I felt it wasn't necessary anyway. I'll just continue to Faesrololololololololololol happily along either way.

Again thank you guys so very much :D
(purely from a PvE perspective because i could care no less for PvP)
Edited by Karnoffel on 4/19/2013 2:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I am just wondering how big of an effect it will make. Will it be like a 7k increase in dps, or move us from the middle of the dps charts to the top of the dps charts (theoretically).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
And I'm sure enhancement shaman, feral druids, and WW monks complained just as hard to get their 5.3 damage buffs too. /eyeroll

The truth is ToT is very hostile for all melee specs. The toll is especially high for melee hybrid DPS, especially as more guilds progress through the content and realize their hybrid's healing or tanking specs may be more beneficial. Of course, you can only bring so many tanks and healers... They had to do something to boost melee hybrids.

So what you are saying is that they should make ret a caster spec?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
IKR?!?! I personally do great in bgs with damage, so this 15% buff is only making things easier for me
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Yup.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The problem is if this effects PvP they will end up nerfing something about Ret utility. Which I value far more as a PvE player than my flat DPS.

Or maybe it will just be a repeat of that season we do not speak of. Where Ret was free rating :P

Why? Ret damage isnt even that high, I would say we hold the lowest sustained damage and our burst is on 2 min CD compared to what other classes can do with 45-1min CDs our burst is a joke.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I would have rather seen some improvements to ret survivability, but this damage buff will be nice to help us keep pressure on in between offensive cds. There is a lot of QQ about how ret is "fine" but how much do you see anyone looking for a ret for rbgs, arenas or raid groups? There are far better alternatives than ret in pretty much any team comp aspect the game, so be happy we are getting some attention for next patch. If you think this damage buff will make ret a free rating next patch I'd like to know how that is, being that ret is a support spec that will still get trained. Who cares about how much damage you're doing in random bgs? Right now all rets are is random bg heros, which doesn't mean squat. Id rather see ret stay how we currently are and have other classes toned down and weaker classes such as enhancement shammans buffed.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I don't think QQ got people anywhere.

They are constantly sitting back and evaluating specs as they perform in PvP/PvE. Probably saw that Retribution was behind in PvE and decided to give them a boost overall. Looked at PvP for a moment and realize that the collateral damage from giving them a PvE buff likely wouldn't boost them to ridiculous levels. If Ret Paladins were buffed to do more damage than a Rogue in a raid, you would likely see raids swimming in Retribution Paladins (BoPs, Devotion Aura and Sacs for everyone!)

I don't agree with it but I can understand from a game play stand point WHY they have to keep classes with one role relevant. I don't like it anymore than most of you do but if a class like Rogue/Mage is awful they have to play something else, you do have other options although ideally it's not a great way to balance a game.

PvE they do need a boost. This boost won't put them at top but it will put them a lot closer. You're still going to do less damage than a DK/Rogue (likely) but with the gap being narrowed the utility difference starts to shine.

PvP this will be a good change but it's not what you necessarily needed. I'd take it anyway.

Retribution needs a defensive to deter them from getting trained so much, especially in arena. Bring divine intervention back for retribution only, make it a 90 second CD that procs below 'x' percent. A heavy percent healing taken buff + a shield (like the old talent in cataclysm) or a large percent damage reduction for like 10 seconds.

It should be a 10% buff to your overall DPS come 5.3. Which is rather significant. I do like 210k on Heroic Jin'rokh on my DK, our Ret Paladin does close to 190k. With the change the difference in our DPS will be a couple thousand, which is a lot more fair IMO, considering he actually brings utility to the raid and I herpaderp the DPS.
Edited by Gròmmash on 4/19/2013 12:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Orc Warrior
The problem is if this effects PvP they will end up nerfing something about Ret utility. Which I value far more as a PvE player than my flat DPS.

Or maybe it will just be a repeat of that season we do not speak of. Where Ret was free rating :P

Why? Ret damage isnt even that high, I would say we hold the lowest sustained damage and our burst is on 2 min CD compared to what other classes can do with 45-1min CDs our burst is a joke.

Not to mention how easily countered we are, being a hybrid, a disarm, silence, fear, horror or stun ect ect completely cripples us..
Disarm does nothing for a Mage just like silence does nothing for a warrior yet ret cops it from every angle then gets stuck with a 1:42 second cd after being chained out of our awesome burst.. So yea most of he QQ is from a pvp perspective.
Reply Quote
I love playing along side ret pallies in raids, always have. You don't need the buff, but if it helps us kill quicker, why the hell not? amirite? Blizz just has to keep us warriors tight cause I don't want to be losing hair over losing out to my ret buddy ;^)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
and i reiterate,

(purely from a PvE perspective because i could care no less for PvP)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

i find my sustained keeping me above the vast majority until their CD's pop. then shortly after if not at that same moment, mine are up once more and i maintain above/overtake them again
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Retribution DPS like Elemental Shaman are all about peaks and valleys. You peak during CDs and start to head down in the valley while waiting for stuff to come off CD.

In 5.3 this model will stay in tact, just an overall shift upwards for both ups and lows.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
You say that at 3/12 normal mode. lol.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
You say that at 3/12 normal mode. lol.

Bumping a thread to armory troll.

You so funny.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Do not get too excited yet we do not know for sure if this will make it to live i extremely hope it does but i am not holding my breath.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]