What is this server like?

100 Night Elf Druid
I'm interested in rolling a toon on an RP-PVP server because I really like my experiences with RP servers and I'm interested in trying a PVP server. I believe I'm walking into it with my eyes open, ready for the possibility of being ganked and whatnot, I just want to find a server community that is more mature than the average PVP server, but active enough where PVP does happen.

The two places I've been considering are here and Emerald Dream. I haven't yet looked into the community on Emerald Dream, but just from dungeoning experiences on my Greymane toons, it seems that there are a large number of immature children on that server. But it would have the advantage of being populated enough that I could probably do some kind of pugging on what would be a low-priority alt that I wouldn't be playing every day.

I've been hearing good things about Ravenholt, so I rolled an Alliance lowbie this evening to check it out. The lack of CRZ is appealing to me because I like the idea of a server community where the people I see out in the world are on the same server. I miss that on my home server. So I was expecting it to be pretty quiet in the starting zone, and it was. I eventually moved on to Ironforge and Stormwind to try to gauge the activity level and it was also kind of empty.

Did I hit the server at the wrong hours, or roll on the wrong faction, or is it generally really quiet on this server? I don't mind rolling horde if it would improve the community involvement (I <3 tauren), but I thought I should ask here first.

I've also noticed that maybe around half of the toons I've seen around have been lowbies. Has there been a recent influx of people? Is the server mainly the kind where people roll alts that they don't put much time into, with their mains being located on another server? Would I be an outsider on the edge of a close-knit community if I rolled an alt that I don't put much time into, with my main on another server?

And what kind of activities does the community do together? I like raiding a lot, but I don't really have any need to do it here if I roll a toon here because I do it on my Greymane toons, though I wouldn't be opposed to joining a casual raid here or there if those happen. I'm curious about world pvp, though from what I hear on the wow forums, it's largely a dying/dead part of the game. I like leveling, but I don't really want to roll a toon only to find out that the only thing I can do with people on the server is dailies, especially when I avoid them like the plague on my primary toons.

I'm sorry if I'm phrasing this in kind of a negative way at all, I'd just like to get a feel for the server and see if it's a place I'd enjoy or not, and I don't know how much of the picture I'm getting from a lowbie toon. Also, I'd like to know whether the server would welcome someone who doesn't plan to make it their home server, but wants to just have fun with a different style of gameplay every now and then.
Reply Quote
PVP does happen

A friend and I raided Stormwind for about 2 hours yesterday. In trade district. That count?

04/03/2013 06:20 PMPosted by Shauandara
I've also noticed that maybe around half of the toons I've seen around have been lowbies. Has there been a recent influx of people?

Oh yes. The amount of people in the enemy shrine has nearly tripled since 5.2 came around. The more victims, the better.

And what kind of activities does the community do together?

Quite a bit of PvP. Very tight-knit groups of people who stand up for each other in general. World PvP, in particular, is often booming; Isle of Thunder is essentially a huge battleground with tension ready to burst whenever someone dares to enter the PvP daily area.

I don't know how much of the picture I'm getting from a lowbie toon

Unfortunately you won't get much of one at low levels. Due to lack of CRZ you will see next to nobody leveling, as it is a medium population server. Whether you consider this a blessing or a curse varies.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I will simply say welcome to Ravenholdt once you set foot and hoof on our great realm. Seeing how you are one of the choose few to be a druid, I would extend a warm welcome to join our noble Tauren race as we seek to cleanse this land back to its orginal state of purity.

I also wish to congratulate you on obtaining the Ravenlord mount...a mark of a true druid.

/tips Horns
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Thank you. I see that you also have it, so congratulations to you, too.

I think I'll give it a shot rolling a hordie toon on the server. I don't mind a fairly quiet leveling experience, I just wanted to see what things are like at higher levels on the server, and it sounds like it's pretty interesting. :)
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
You Horde keep swiping our new transfers. Cut it out! We would all benefit from a better horde:alliance ratio, at last count it was 75% horde here. No wonder it seems quiet..
Reply Quote
Hello there! We're happy that you stopped by the Ravenholdt forums to ask us some questions. Hopefully we can give you some insight into our server and our community. We'd love to have you join us!

Did I hit the server at the wrong hours, or roll on the wrong faction, or is it generally really quiet on this server? I don't mind rolling horde if it would improve the community involvement (I <3 tauren), but I thought I should ask here first.

The lower level zone on Ravenholdt are going to be pretty quiet. As you know, we are CRZ-free so that means that we're the only ones out there questing. Also, the Alliance is the smaller faction. We're generally "quiet" in that we don't often get embroiled Trade trolling, or chatting in the general channels. We do have an RP channel on the Alliance (/join RP) where the RPers gather, chat, and get to know one another. It's a great channel to join if you're looking to get to know a little more about us. I would also recommend checking out the Ravenholdt RP Sanctum (ravenholdt.us). It the RP site for the server and another good place to meet people!

Overall, our community is small but close-knit. We know one another, we have our friendly little rivalries, we joke around, and we've really created a great server here. While it might not be as active as you're used to, it's a good place to call home and we'd love it if you visited us =)

I've also noticed that maybe around half of the toons I've seen around have been lowbies. Has there been a recent influx of people? Is the server mainly the kind where people roll alts that they don't put much time into, with their mains being located on another server? Would I be an outsider on the edge of a close-knit community if I rolled an alt that I don't put much time into, with my main on another server?

We have had some new transfers to the server, especially after Durh's thread on the General Forums reminding people that we are CRZ free. But I don't think this is a server where people roll alts and actually play somewhere else. I would say that with the community we've built up, we tend to get their mains too. Just ask Myaka!

And what kind of activities does the community do together?

Check out the progression thread sticky to see where we are in terms of progression. We're not at the cutting edge, but guilds here definitely raid together. We also have some fun world PvP and sometimes the factions work together to set up cross-faction RP-PvP events. Several of the RP guilds have regular events - for example, the Horde have a tavern called the Cantina, and Twilight Empire tries to put on a couple of server events a month. Check out the Sanctum to get some ideas of events we're discussing! If you don't find events that suit you, then feel free to create your own! We're all very supportive of one another and we try to help out making things work.

As long as you stay away from Twilight Empire/Sentinels you will have a great time =]

Yes. Stay away. Far, far away. Run for your lives! *Puts on her grrrr face* It's an Aer without coffee!

...But seriously, Virina isn't that scary....is she?
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
I was going to post a welcome post but then Aerana posted...
Aerana - Queen of Welcoming

I'll just add that it feels to me that Ravenholdt is a more adult server which is a blessing but it also means population grows in evenings and on weekends.
And I would urge you to remain Alliance since like some have mentioned the ratio is heavily slanted toward Horde and we could use the help to beat those fools down!

Whatever you decided I'm sure you'll feel right at home. Welcome!
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
04/04/2013 10:02 AMPosted by Aerana
. I would say that with the community we've built up, we tend to get their mains too. Just ask Myaka!

I don't know what your talking about Aer, its not like I rolled here to just try RP out, then suddenly I didn't want to leave RH...its perfectly normal to be unwilling to play a tauren hunter you considered your main for three years unless you realm transfer =P (Even then, the poor thing doesn't get near the attention she used to)

I'd do a welcome post, but Aer beat me to everything so I'll just say this! Ravenholdt is a small server in the lower level stuff, due to us missing CRZ, but if you join in channels like /rp always someone to chat with! and its a very close community, I've made friends with people outside of TE, which never happened on my original server, where I didn't know anyone outside of my guild there.
Edited by Myaka on 4/4/2013 11:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
04/04/2013 11:06 AMPosted by Myaka
I'd do a welcome post, but Aer beat me to everything so I'll just say this!

^

If you're not looking for a crowded server with a ton of impersonal toons scuttling about, then you'll be happy you made the move to Ravenholdt!
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I'm trying to figure out why anyone would suggest avoiding Twilight Empire. They're peaceniks, to be sure, but you know, decent folks.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
(please don't feed the trolls. Report and move on.)
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
<Snorts>...

You Horde keep swiping our new transfers. Cut it out! We would all benefit from a better horde:alliance ratio, at last count it was 75% horde here. No wonder it seems quiet..

I am try to build a large population of customers horde side so I can extort gold from them from my over priced transmog gear...hold...is this Darkspear forums or Ravenholdt...hell it does not matter...I just want more gold.

Damn tiny little female gnome lap dancers can carry more gold than you would think possible

<Female Gnome Addict>...
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Hunter

If you wish, I can teach you the ancient Ravenholdt Alliance Hunter technique called Multi-shot. It can be performed with any hunter weapon (which I see you have already equipped)... Though I am skeptical the likes of a Paladin can master it.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
04/04/2013 07:05 PMPosted by Ryöka

If you wish, I can teach you the ancient Ravenholdt Alliance Hunter technique called Multi-shot. It can be performed with any hunter weapon (which I see you have already equipped)... Though I am skeptical the likes of a Paladin can master it.

<couch>...<Cough>...

Anything a hunter can equip is a hunter or can be made into a hunter weapon...

An awesome replay in honor of the NE hunter above me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uTrOc0lfXY
Edited by Bobcat on 4/4/2013 7:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Hunter

Anything [or anyone that] can be [defined with a noun or pronoun is] a hunter weapon...

fix'd. Best video ever.
Edited by Ryöka on 4/5/2013 7:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]