Is Sim City worth the buy?

5 Human Priest
It has been about a month now since it has came out. It has had really negative reviews and publicity. A lot of bugs, removed features, server crashes. Yet, I have seen some recent videos on Youtube of people enjoying themselves. Though they haven't fixed certain things like traffic and whatnot, apparently it is supposed to be fixed. For those that have played/bought the game, are you still playing it? If so, do you think it is really worth $60? I would have bought it for maybe $30. Can't justify paying double for a game that many call a failure on epic proportions. Thoughts?
Reply Quote
58 Human Death Knight
i would say no, but that is because i am completely opposed to drm. also from what i have seen, it looks like the new sim city isn't that much more graphically appealing than sim city 4....

if you are ok with an always online quarter version of sim city 4 then you will be happy with the new sim city.
Reply Quote
5 Human Priest
Though I am not a fan of DRM, playing WOW, Starcraft2, and Diablo3 has made it so I consider it no different than the same notion. SC and Diablo used to be single player unless you wanted to connect to battlenet. So, it doesn't bother me that much. I just hate the idea that servers can be restarted and rolled back and you could potentially lose all your progress. That would be frustrating!
Reply Quote
55 Draenei Death Knight
No, I heard you always have to bee online for that, best to just tell EA to go !@#$ themselves.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
I remember making HUGE cities in SimCity 2000. Dozens of Arcologys all over. A ton bridges, airports, stadiums. Just a massive undertaking........

Can't do that anymore.

Build here, here, here or here. Oh and we won't give you a world editor like before. Maybe they will make you buy one in a DLC.

Oh, they did release their first free downloadable content. A Nissan Leaf recharge station. I hope they start adding 7-11's so I could watch my property values plummet.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Apparently the AI in the game is terrible.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Fun game, but the cities are too small so once you make a town, you're presented with a lot of the same issues that require the same fixes, so you end up doing the same things and never really being inventive.

So after five to ten hours, you're pretty much done and bored. At least that was my experience.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
SimCity 4 is better then 5 with the HD texture mod it looks better and has lots more options to play around with.

I have SimCity 5 as well as 4 and 5 is garbage hardly any thing works correctly, servers get reset all the time so you loose your cities, cheetah, achievements, leader boards disabled.

Buildings build on roads or other buildings and the budget problem.

Once you you progress and make a 100 population city you now have a budget problem of at least 30k in debt so there is no way to get out of debt once the game auto pauses.

This forces you to start a new city yet when you do you can't transfer money to the city in debt because you have to first fix the budget problems that you can't fix.
Reply Quote
5 Human Priest
Seventhwinds, you bring up a good point. Would it be better to get Sim City 4 and mod it out over buying Sim City 5? I mean, people in WOW say Vanilla is the best and blah blah blahy. However, the changes in WOW have been for the better, regardless if the content of raids is better. Kinda like not upgrading to Windows 8. Though 7 works fine, Windows 8 is advanced and improved. So, I am asking to all is Sim City 5 really a step backward than Sim City 4 and one would be better off buying Sim City 4 and modding?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Seventhwinds, you bring up a good point. Would it be better to get Sim City 4 and mod it out over buying Sim City 5? I mean, people in WOW say Vanilla is the best and blah blah blahy. However, the changes in WOW have been for the better, regardless if the content of raids is better. Kinda like not upgrading to Windows 8. Though 7 works fine, Windows 8 is advanced and improved. So, I am asking to all is Sim City 5 really a step backward than Sim City 4 and one would be better off buying Sim City 4 and modding?

I guess in some ways you can say that, but there are new features in it too. The graphics doesn't even compare though. You do need a decent card if you want to run it on ultra.

A lot of the issues listed here are fixable so once it is what else is there to say? I haven't personally had any server issues and there is still fun to be had.

It's definitely different and I can enjoy both, but it would be frustrating for me to go back and not having the road layout control that you have in 5.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

Well SimCity 5 will be great when the bugs are fixed I have not asked for a refund because EA usually fixes the bugs with there products then I fall in love with it.

Currently SimCity 4 + HD texture mod + all the building mods, curved roads, foliage and other mods can really make the game an amazing experience.

Oh and there is a multiplayer multi city mod for SimCity 4 that does what SimCity 5 does in terms of allowing you play with friends.

I have all the SimCity games and find SimCity 4 is better then 5 but SimCity does have its moments even with the bugs when it is a lot of fun.

For instance the music in SimCity 5 is fantastic for and really puts you in the mood for building stuff
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
SimCity 5 seems irrevocably smaller in scope than the previous games. Between the small maps and the resources (that encourage you to have inter-city trade) means you'll never see cities remotely as large as what was previously possible.

I also miss the undo button. Having an always on requirement and no undo feels like the city is always lurching forward.

It's a pretty game but I think fundamentally flawed due to decisions they've made stemming from the multiplayer/always online requirement. I'm less annoyed at the fact that the DRM exists so much as I'm annoyed that they've forced the game to operate differently in order to accommodate it.

It's similar in a way to how gameplay has been balanced in Diablo III due to the RMAH. The fact that it's optional doesn't matter, the game still accounts for it and everyone suffers on because of it (other than the players of the upcoming RMAH free console version, apparently.)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
The gameplay itself is good, but it still has some game-breaking bugs, such the "Cannot process this city at this time" error. When this happens it gives you 2 choices : "Rollback" or "Abandon" city. If you choose to rollback, the time it puts you back varies (10 min, 30 min, 2 hours, etc), but there's a chance that you could lose your city.
Edited by Zerofury on 4/8/2013 6:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
5 Human Priest
What I can't understand is why they are not fixing these problems. I feel as if they are ignoring them. For example. Nissan DLC. Really? Rather than fix a broken game, they implement this. That makes no sense. I really like Sim City games. And I want to play. But I can't support $60 for a broken game. I guess I will have to wait and see if they fix things because right now, it doesn't seem like it.

Edit:

And might I add that they are making money if people do continue to buy the product and the game is STILL broken. I feel sorry for the people who have no idea that they are purchasing a broken game.
Edited by Pricecheckn on 4/8/2013 11:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Have not had a rollback in a while now & cheetah speed has been patched back in, having a lot of fun the fixes are coming slowly but surely. My only real complaint is map size, I would pay another 60 bucks for double the space.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
What I can't understand is why they are not fixing these problems. I feel as if they are ignoring them. For example. Nissan DLC. Really? Rather than fix a broken game, they implement this. That makes no sense. I really like Sim City games. And I want to play. But I can't support $60 for a broken game. I guess I will have to wait and see if they fix things because right now, it doesn't seem like it.

Edit:

And might I add that they are making money if people do continue to buy the product and the game is STILL broken. I feel sorry for the people who have no idea that they are purchasing a broken game.

They have and they are. They've released couple patches already and they have announced a big patch 2.0 coming.

Honestly guy what business do you have criticizing when you even haven't played the game? The game is actually playable and enjoyable. Since you have no interest anyways why did you even bother making a thread about it? Instead of whining you could've bought the game earlier which was going for $40 on amazon and got a free game out of it like simcity 4.

The issues are fixable and I'm fine with waiting because I know it takes time, but it's not really "broken" per se when some people have clocked hundreds of hours on it already.

I hear skyrim was really broken though.
Reply Quote
5 Human Priest

Edit:

They have and they are. They've released couple patches already and they have announced a big patch 2.0 coming.

Honestly guy what business do you have criticizing when you even haven't played the game? The game is actually playable and enjoyable. Since you have no interest anyways why did you even bother making a thread about it? Instead of whining you could've bought the game earlier which was going for $40 on amazon and got a free game out of it like simcity 4.

The issues are fixable and I'm fine with waiting because I know it takes time, but it's not really "broken" per se when some people have clocked hundreds of hours on it already.

I hear skyrim was really broken though.

Just because I haven't physically played it doesn't negate that I know about it. My friend has it and I have watched him play. I have seen the problems 1st hand. Being encouraged to buy a game that I KNOW for a fact has problems allows me the right to criticize it just as much as someone who bought it. Only difference is that I didn't buy it. Thus, I am asking others who have if they felt it was worth it. Your opinion is that its worth it. Fine. Fair enough. But watching someone play the game, talking with them AS they play it, and witnessing the problems gives me just amount of right to voice the problems that I see. MY thread. MY business. You said your piece. Now, keep it moving. Unless you want to sound like a fanboy, then feel free to complain more. My input and point of view is MORE than valid.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Just because I haven't physically played it doesn't negate that I know about it. My friend has it and I have watched him play. I have seen the problems 1st hand. Being encouraged to buy a game that I KNOW for a fact has problems allows me the right to criticize it just as much as someone who bought it. Only difference is that I didn't buy it. Thus, I am asking others who have if they felt it was worth it. Your opinion is that its worth it. Fine. Fair enough. But watching someone play the game, talking with them AS they play it, and witnessing the problems gives me just amount of right to voice the problems that I see. MY thread. MY business. You said your piece. Now, keep it moving. Unless you want to sound like a fanboy, then feel free to complain more. My input and point of view is MORE than valid.

Well I didn't know about your friend so that's fine then. What I don't get is why bother even making this thread if you seem so dead set on negativity?

Your input if any since it isn't detailed isn't much or hasn't been covered already. You could for instance take a look at oh the simcity forums?

Again what's the point? You only seem to want to hear that it sucks so go ahead and play the other games then. Or would you feel better waiting another 6 months before buying the game then?
Reply Quote
5 Human Priest

Well I didn't know about your friend so that's fine then. What I don't get is why bother even making this thread if you seem so dead set on negativity?

Your input if any since it isn't detailed isn't much or hasn't been covered already. You could for instance take a look at oh the simcity forums?

Again what's the point? You only seem to want to hear that it sucks so go ahead and play the other games then. Or would you feel better waiting another 6 months before buying the game then?

Been to the Sim City forums. Their forums are more negative than mine. They complain about all the problems. I came here for another perspective. Hence the title. Or did you not read that. It's that simple. Is it worth buying? I am stating BASIC problems wrong with the game and asking people if it was worth their $60. How can you possibly not see a point in that? It seems that you are defending the game to the max. An idiot could see that. You like the game. You think it's worth it. I hear you loud and clear. However. Many don't share that same sentiment. I am still skeptical about it. I actually like Sim City. Just sad to see it not doing well. Thus, making a post, stating the negative aspects of the game, and asking for people's opinion is a logical, reasonable thread. Stating your opinion and defending the game is one thing. It just seems like your mad that someone is bashing a game you like. Any thing else? Or are you still mad?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]