Is Raiding in current content really worth it

90 Blood Elf Death Knight
This is my very first expansion doing Normal 10 man raids and I have been a part of a raid group for about 4-5 weeks now. I collected full valor gear as well as a couple LFR pieces in prep. I knew I was not going to get much of anything worth while in MSV and now that my guild has cleared HoF they do not want to do it again because of the massive about of mechanics and high requirement for our group to play at is best. In all of these weeks of bonus rolls and loot I have only gotten 2 pieces of MS gear and we have only had about 4 or 5 pieces of Tank gear drop 2 of them being DK tier tokens. (Both me and out main tank are DKs) I was wondering if this is normal for raiders.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
It doesn't sound like you enjoy normal raids, in no small part to the fact that your group is pretty bad. You don't have to force yourself to keep doing stuff you don't like.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
It's more fun when your group is on a similar skill level to yourself. Being the best player gets you frustrated at the other idiots, and being the worst player gets you feeling bad because everyone else hates you.

If your group are doing stupid things (e.g. die in attenuation, uncoordinated healing etc.) and they don't seem willing to improve then maybe you should change groups.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Not really, because you're a tier behind. When MoP hit, heroic dungeons gave 463 items. LFR wasn't out initially and even when it was it came out slowly. Valor items cost far more (I think 2-4 times more?) and charms had half the loot chance. This means almost everything that dropped in MSV (and then HoF/ToES) was useful.

My guild has cleared normal Throne of Thunder and has two heroics down - in the past month I've gotten the following:

Shoulders
Chest
Bracers
Gloves
Leggings
Trinket
Off-Hand

I've also gotten Belt, Ring, and Trinket from Valor. So about two new items a week on average. So even in a worst case scenario, you might expect at least an item per week when a new tier releases for a while if you're in a decent guild.

Your main problem is you need a new guild - unless you agree with your guild that there is a "massive amount of mechanics" and dislike that fact. Normal (and heroic) raiding IS mechanics and DO require group play - that's the whole point.
Edited by Balkoth on 4/9/2013 9:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
If you don't plan to do HoF normals, what are your plans? I could see focusing on normal ToES, a couple heroics in MSV and, at least, Jin'rokh in ToT.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
I consider getting 1 piece of gear per week per spec is better than average for normal mode raiding.

However, I don't bother with farming coins, so my expectations might be lower than others' for this expansion.

Also consider that as you kill more bosses per week you'll start getting more gear.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Sounds less like you don't enjoy raiding and more like your guild is just bad
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Sounds like you are valuing gear over raiding. If all you're looking for is upgrades, yes, you're probably going to get more upgrades out of ToT LFR than out of t14's normal modes.

But if your guild is rolling mid-490s and has issues with the HoF mechanics, all that you're going to do in ToT is clear Jin'rokh, then wipe on Horridon for the next six months (or longer). Sure, you'll eventually unlock all the S-PA valor gear and get everyone's ilevel into the 500s, then be able to make up for mechanics problems, but that'll be a long and annoying summer.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Having the same classes tank is a terrible Idea. 1, loot distribution will be !@#$ed up because you'll be splitting the gear. 2, if you come up to a problem where you get gimped by an ability because you don't have the toolset (early H:Garajal), you are at a loss because you cannot try a different combination.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Yeah instead you should just kick a friend out you've played with for years because he plays a suboptimal class.

Good god.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Yeah instead you should just kick a friend out you've played with for years because he plays a suboptimal class.

Good god.

Where did this come from? Nastirr's suggestion is reasonable. OP said they've only been in the raid group for a month ... not that he and the other DK are BFFs who have played together since they were in shortpants.

And yes, having doubles of the same class for a role isn't the best idea.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
stop caring about loot so much
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage

Good god.

Where did this come from? Nastirr's suggestion is reasonable. OP said they've only been in the raid group for a month ... not that he and the other DK are BFFs who have played together since they were in shortpants.

And yes, having doubles of the same class for a role isn't the best idea.

OP is not the only person in the raid. What his suggestion is (I presume, since he does not actually suggest anything to remedy the issue, as you imply he does) is for the other guy to either change his class, for OP to do so, or to get rid of one of them because of loot distribution, all of which are terrible ideas.
Edited by Mahourai on 4/11/2013 10:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
04/09/2013 09:25 PMPosted by Autumni
Being the best player gets you frustrated at the other idiots

Too bad everyone thinks they're this guy.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
OP is not the only person in the raid. What his suggestion is (I presume, since he does not actually suggest anything to remedy the issue, as you imply he does) is for the other guy to either change his class, for OP to do so, or to get rid of one of them because of loot distribution, all of which are terrible ideas.

And continuing to run with two DK tanks is also a pretty bad idea, especially if OP's reason for raiding is getting loot. Otherwise every kill is going to lead to one of the following scenarios:

1. No DK tank gear. Two unhappy tanks. All those pretty shields, yeah, they're gone.
2. DK tank gear. One unhappy tank that needs to wait until next week, and pray that that item drops two weeks in a row.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
04/11/2013 10:28 AMPosted by Kerranggaroo

And continuing to run with two DK tanks is also a pretty bad idea, especially if OP's reason for raiding is getting loot. Otherwise every kill is going to lead to one of the following scenarios:

1. No DK tank gear. Two unhappy tanks. All those pretty shields, yeah, they're gone.
2. DK tank gear. One unhappy tank that needs to wait until next week, and pray that that item drops two weeks in a row.

Loot aside, having 2 of the same tank or even 2 of the same healer is just a bad idea boss-mechanic-wise. You want a diverse tool set.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Sounds to me your only motivation to raiding is loot, not the activity itself.

If it's not the challenge or social aspect, then of course it's not worth it.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
I was wondering if this is normal for raiders.

I am not 100% what u r asking?

If it is common to not get many drops? Random luck but usually people end up getting a good number of drops after a while combined with valor gear. & making sure to get & use your coins each week. It does depend on your groups makeup.

Having 2 DK tanks is going to make gear drops not much fun. In my raid group we only have one other person on my token and I am the only one to use ranged weapons & the only agility mail wearer. So I only share cloaks, jewelry, trinkets. And the loot gods have been favoring me a ton lol
On my alt I share tokens with 2 others in the group and as a pally healer I get all the caster plate but share everything else with other healers/casters meh. She has not had much luck at all.

if you are asking if people skip content and/or do content a tier behind? Then yes all the time. it just depends on your group. Alot of people skipped through HoF because it was not fun IMO lol. My alts team started near the end of last tier and just skimmed through HoF once, did the first few bosses a few times but focused on MSV & Terrace and now ToT. But we did stay back doing Terrace for like the last 2 weeks or so gearing up people some more.

I see you have cleared Terrace & the first boss in ToT so...? It looks like your raid group is moving forward. i wouldn't worry about older gear. Look at running lfr (all of the new lfr, as I see u havent yet?) and just valor capping each week for the 522 valor stuff. Then it is just drops in ToT as you guys push forward.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]