What the Alliance is Missing

90 Dwarf Paladin
Blizzard should really read this, many good points are made.

http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/04/15/another-take-what-is-the-alliance-missing/

MoP is much better in regards to story telling for the Alliance than previous expansions, especially Cataclysm, but that isn't saying much. The way Blizzard treated the Allliance in Cataclysm is nothing short of embarrassing.
It didn't take long for Blizzard to go back to telling the story purely from the Horde's perspective. Patch 5.0 to 5.3 Blizzard was doing better, I almost thought they cared for a second. Now with 5.4 around the corner the Alliance's point of view is non-existent once again.
This is just as bad as Alliance story progression being told from the Horde's perspective, Cataclysm Silverpine forest questline for example.

We all know Blizzard favors the Horde in regards to story telling and development, but do they have to make it so obvious?
Reply Quote
http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/04/14/know-your-lore-what-is-the-alliance-missing/

Mentioned in the article link posted above and also worth a look at.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Make it so the lore you guys get isn't completely focus on humans, seriously.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
This, OP, is an amazing article. It really is.

I want the Alliance to have agency in our story. I'm playing Alliance right now not out of a sense of pride or belonging, but because it has two races I really like: worgen and night elves. I haven't (yet) seen this series of events which is going to lead to Alliance pride as Mr. Metzen promised us (though to be fair, 5.3 and 5.4 are still to come), I just see us in 5.3 PTR revelations once again being the tag-alongs to the Horde story. It should be no concern to us that Vol'jin, Lor'themar and Baine Bloodhoof want Garrosh removed as Warchief; we should want, as the Alliance, Garrosh's head on a pike for the atrocities committed in his commanding the assault on Gilneas, his depredations in Ashenvale, and the bombing of Theramore. We should be blasting Orgrimmar down to Durotar's bedrock as recompense for his offenses, and telling Vol'jin "Stay out of our way; we want him dead on our own. We've earned the right to revenge here. We won't be held responsible for any collateral damage if your soldiers get in the way. You've been warned as a courtesy. Reform whatever Horde you think you can after we're done."

But we don't get that. We do some espionage on the outskirts of Orgrimmar in preparation for an assault both the Horde and Alliance are making, presumably together, in 5.4.

It's hard to have pride in your faction when your faction keeps showing its flexibility and appreciation for Crisco.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
PLEASE, for the sake of all those who DON'T play humans, this.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid

This would be lovely.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Both those articles should be required reading for the story developers.

Personally, I've been dismayed at the story for the Alliance in MoP and it only seems to continue what we saw in Cataclysm.

Patch 5.0 and 5.1 started off well but the recurring theme from previous expansions of the Alliance getting castigated for defending itself from the Horde (Taran Zhu, Anduin, etc.) made the Alliance storyline unsatisfying and flat. Any victory we achieve makes us feel guilty. Not to mention the fact that by building up Varian in the scenarios the developers have made every other Alliance leader look like whiny fools.

I'm happy that Horde players get a fantastic storyine with Vol'jin and the Horde rebellion. But where is the Alliance equivalent? Chasing down Zandalari trolls with Moira? Where's the quest chain where Varian and other Alliance leaders discover what Garrosh is up to with the Sha and start planning the invasion? Where's the quests where we pave the way for the Alliance assault? Why can't the Alliance have a satisfying storyline separate from the Horde storyline in the same patch?

I can already see it coming in the final patch - Vol'jin's rebellion is successful and he becomes the new Warchief. Thrall sacrifices himself to defeat Garrosh and gets the final blow. And Varian and the rest of the Alliance tag along and are told they have to leave Orgrimmar after the Siege because any further violence will cause the Sha to infest all of Kalimdor. Hoorah ...
Edited by Athelaris on 4/16/2013 12:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I want Gnome lore.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
04/16/2013 12:30 PMPosted by Ragefang
We should be blasting Orgrimmar down to Durotar's bedrock as recompense for his offenses, and telling Vol'jin "Stay out of our way; we want him dead on our own.

I disagree. We shouldn't tell Vol'jin to stay out of our way, AND we shouldn't band with him. Everything that's been done was done by the Horde. A lot of the worst offenses from the Horde in recent memory were done without Garrosh's approval. And frankly, Vol'jin never breathed a word to stop them.

Support Vol'jin? He's just another Horde leader. Another voice that didn't speak up when Southshore was scourged. When Gilneas was torn down. When Ashenvale burned. We should be glad that the Horde is infighting, but the very fact that ANY of them have the audacity to want or accept Alliance help is infuriating.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
04/16/2013 12:30 PMPosted by Warrbull

I think any lore that doesn't make us the bat signal for the horde would be great, bonus points if its draenai.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid

100x this.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/04/14/know-your-lore-what-is-the-alliance-missing/

Mentioned in the article link posted above and also worth a look at.
Yes, I should have included this article too, my bad.

04/16/2013 12:30 PMPosted by Warrbull

The Worgen were completely forgotten outside of their own starting zone, unless you were Horde. The Dreanei, well lets just say Blizzard should be very disappointed in themselves, their story is more forgotten than the Dance Studio.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
I want more people, and especially Blizzard to see this.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Where the hell is the cultural clashing between the extremely diverse cultures that make up the Alliance? Stormwind, Gilneas, Bronzebeard, Wildhammer, Dark Iron, Night Elf, Highborne, Gnomes and Draenei all have very different cultures - arguably more diverse among any three of them than Orcs, Trolls and Tauren are.

The Gnomes are the only democracy in Azeroth. Where is that? Why are they okay with so much unilateral leadership, no matter how well-intentioned? And hereditary leadership? Where are the gnome NPCs going, "See? Garrosh is what happens when you let people lead based on their name. Now, this Anduin kid, he seems nice and all, but... And how about Moira's son, eh? Isn't that a bag of slagged cogs? How do the people think she has any right after what she's done?"

The Wildhammers aren't the Bronzebeards' drunk hillbilly cousins, they're Shamans that have a kinship with the land. Where is that? Where is the distrust for the Alliance's increasing reliance on technology?

Huge cultural division between Darnassus and the Highborne, where is THAT? Why aren't the night elves making a fit and gritting their teeth about working with Dalaran?
Edited by Anjafira on 4/17/2013 7:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I want Gnome lore.

I'd rather see original race lore before draenei lore for practical considerations.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Where the hell is the cultural clashing between the extremely diverse cultures that make up the Alliance? Stormwind, Gilneas, Bronzebeard, Wildhammer, Dark Iron, Night Elf, Highborne, Gnomes and Draenei all have very different cultures - arguably more diverse among any three of them than Orcs, Trolls and Tauren are.

The Gnomes are the only democracy in Azeroth. Where is that? Why are they okay with so much unilateral leadership, no matter how well-intentioned? And hereditary leadership? Where are the gnome NPCs going, "See? Garrosh is what happens when you let people lead based on their name. Now, this Anduin kid, he seems nice and all, but... And how about Moira's son, eh? Isn't that a bag of slagged cogs? How do the people think she has any right after what she's done?"

The Wildhammers aren't the Bronzebeards' drunk hillbilly cousins, they're Shamans that have a kinship with the land. Where is that? Where is the distrust for the Alliance's increasing reliance on technology?

Huge cultural division between Darnassus and the Highborne, where is THAT? Why aren't the night elves making a fit and gritting their teeth about working with Dalaran?

The biggest problem is that the Alliance story is told in books outside of the game and the horde one is told in game.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I want to win, I don't want Taran Zhu being mean to me, the Horde is bad and we should beat them up and we can't have pride as Alliance because we're not beating up Horde and being personally thanked by Aman'thul for doing it 'cause the Horde are meanbads and we should be mad and win fights and and and and...

You people will never learn...

Everything Anjafira said.

^ For God's sake this.

And as an extension of that, this.

But even more than that, the Alliance needs more ALLIANCE lore and less "we don't like the Horde" lore.

'cause you know what that turns into?

HORDE LORE

But there are too many that are simply too proud to ever admit that their faction has problems at its core and needs help from the ground up. No amount of "winning" is gonna make it all better. You need to outgrow that petty garbage. You need to be willing to lose, willing to travel uncertain paths for the sake of a well told story. This isn't a boxing match people, winning isn't everything, it's a damned book and your parts are the boring parts.
Edited by Leucen on 4/17/2013 8:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Can we have a thread without the Horde going on like the Alliance wants free candy and cakes? I've played both factions since release, I have to agree that my Alliance characters have felt increasingly less compelling of late. Not every player is going to be able to pinpoint why it is that they feel dissatisfied - the point is more that they feel dissatisfied.

I believe it's possible to keep the Alliance as the mostly designated good guys if it felt less like the faction lately was the Amazing Adventures of Wrynn and Son and their Multicolored Friends. (I even like Anduin - it was a good thing having him get beat up and taking a while to recover, btw, Blizzard - it's keeping him off the scrappy heap.) Thrall having to step down around the time WoW got really into trying-to-be-an-RPG was probably a good thing, or the Horde would have suffered the same way.
Edited by Anjafira on 4/17/2013 8:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Blizzard should really read this, many good points are made.
Uh... this is one of the (if not THE) premiere zeen(s) for the industry and the game. You really think they haven't read it already? LOL! They probably got an advance copy and knew what it would say before it was available to the rest of us!

/facepalm
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
04/17/2013 08:00 AMPosted by Anjafira
Can we have a thread without the Horde going on like the Alliance wants free candy and cakes?

Bah. All they ever talk about in threads like these is whether or not they've won or how they're the good guys and the Horde are the bad guys as if that's all that matters. I just wish, for once, Alliance fans would stop concentrating all of their efforts on one upping the Horde and look inward...and find that there really isn't much there, and get mad about THAT.

It's not like the Alliance has never been cool. In the Warcraft series they've had plenty of awesome stuff going on, but in WoW? All they ever do is react to external forces in the same way they always do... Holding the moral high ground and thumbing their noses. Whether they try to play the nice guy or the victim, it's always the same.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]