Healing Understanding

90 Dwarf Warrior
So a little while ago I decided to make a Priest Healer because hey, its a change of pace from DPS, and I've noticed there seem to be distinct lack of Alliance healers whenever you need them.

I now understand why. I understand why so few people want this job; because I'm only Level 30 and I've developed a deep-seated desire to murder everyone on my own faction.

Spend a significant portion of BGs running around desperately trying to stay alive because my DPS would rather sit and trade blows with the Horde (while that Horde is being healed I might add) rather than getting this Rogue/Warrior off my !@#.

Get yelled at because I, our team's singular healer, am not at Lumber Mill, Blacksmith and Stables all at the same time.

Get kicked from Dungeons because people keep running away and picking up MORE mobs, and keep getting out of heal range. Then dying.

So to people who have been doing this since the start, I salute and respect you even more than I did before. And thank you for not rising up and slaughtering the rest of us in a fit of unhinged rage.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Part of being a healer means that you develop a deep-seated resentment for your raid/party/BG members.

>.>

They cause nothing but trouble, I'm telling you!

As for the people kicking you because they run off to Egypt while you're trying to loot, or run around corners and ask you why you can't heal through walls, they're really dumb and deserve to die. Consider that party kick a get-out-of-jail-free card freeing you from the horror of a bad group. :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Welcome to the club :)

I made a blog post sometime last year about how everyone should level a healer, at least to a certain level and actually experience what we experience. It certainly makes tanks and dps way more aware.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
I'd like to think that I am pretty easy on the healers as this char, since I tend to avoid most things that get people killed.

Off topic: Is it just me, or is it a bit odd that Panda's can be Priests? The majority of them have been separated from the Light-worshipping races for ages. Their religious needs are fulfilled by monks and over forms of worship, and their healing needs are taken care of by medicine and Mistweavers. So where'd the Priests come from?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Off topic: Is it just me, or is it a bit odd that Panda's can be Priests? The majority of them have been separated from the Light-worshipping races for ages. Their religious needs are fulfilled by monks and over forms of worship, and their healing needs are taken care of by medicine and Mistweavers. So where'd the Priests come from?

Priests don't all follow the same "religion". Look at Night Elves. They worship the moon, and have druids. But they still have priests. Think about it more as being spiritual, and less as "Light". Light is more of a Paladin thing.

Aaaanyway, on topic:
I love healing. So much.
But I hate healing PvP. Well I'm not a big fan of PvP in general, but PvPing (especially without people who know what they're doing - aka most random BGs) as a healer often feels like you're a walking target.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
I actually love healing, been healing for almost 8 years. I've always heard from peeps on how hard it is, never understood why, until I tried tanking, it's just something you have to get used to I guess. I'm the worst tank of all-time in this game.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Part of being a healer means that you develop a deep-seated resentment for your raid/party/BG members.

>.>

They cause nothing but trouble, I'm telling you!

As for the people kicking you because they run off to Egypt while you're trying to loot, or run around corners and ask you why you can't heal through walls, they're really dumb and deserve to die. Consider that party kick a get-out-of-jail-free card freeing you from the horror of a bad group. :)

this

and the grass is just as grey on the horde side... i really dont do bgs anymore because of that sole reason...
standard dps-"WHERE THE !@#$ ARE THE HEALS?!?!??!"...

me- "umm right where you left them... before you tunnel zoned into dps and left your heals behind to get pummeled"
Edited by Jarshie on 4/17/2013 1:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
04/17/2013 10:32 AMPosted by Baluin
I now understand why. I understand why so few people want this job; because I'm only Level 30 and I've developed a deep-seated desire to murder everyone on my own faction.

LOL. I know how you feel. I used to resent Hordes, but after healing BG, I welcome their presence in this game. They can do what I can't (or sort of can't, you know what I mean :P).
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
PvP in general is awful, doubly awful pre-90, and extremely awful as a healer in any sort of random or pick-up group (note: most RBGs are pugs nowadays too).

Part of being a good healer is adapting to the situation and moving with the group, being in the right place when your heal goes off, anticipating what will happen, etc. Your skill increases with time and experience just like any other skill one might develop.

The problem you are realizing is that most people at this game are terrible, but unfortunately you don't need to be a healer to realize this so I'm not sure why you're posting in this section.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
Oh it's all so true. Healing in PVE will come with practice. I suggest either making all your heals mouseover macros or use something like Clique. Clicking unit frame then hitting a heal button is horrible and you shouldn't do that (if you are, I have no idea).

As for PVP, yup. People expect healers to be everywhere at all times (and you guys complain about universal health care :p ) and expect you to be some sort of superhero while they run around being terrible and not lifting a finger to assist an under-attack healer.

I used to enjoy healing in BGs, back in Wrath and Cata, but now, I stay as far away as I can and only go in when I absolutely need to (eg the Black Prince's quest). If it's isn't your horrible team-mates running around like idiots, it's the steady stream of CC that happens as soon as I poke my head out. It's honestly no fun at all.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I agree, but I still love healing. I've been a healer since day 2 of vanilla. Day 1 was spent as a huntard. I did spend some time tanking in TBC and LK with my pally.

You learn to self evaluate your skills and performance and not rely on anyone in your party to actually appreciate your efforts. I act like an elitist and generally don't respond to random criticisms that have no merit which is why you have to self evaluate. The one thing I do do when I dps is to be sure to thank the poor sap healing me through stupid.

Even dating back to vanilla it was always the healer slowing things down and balancing speed versus mana is always fun.

You can always tell when you get a tank who has a healer alt. most do like I did when I tanked and keep and eye on how bad I'm taxing the healers mana pool with my pace. I then would whisper the healer to confirm they were comfortable with my pace.

I do have to agree. I used to enjoy BGs but not anymore. The shear amounts of stupid randoms these days is mind boggling. My personal favorite is AB after fighting for BS. Healers stop to drink and all the dps run off leaving the flag with 2 healers guarding it and then complain when we don't follow. I used to love sitting there and getting all the honor from kills at all the nodes, finishing 1st in honor with almost no healing done because I sat at the flag they left me at.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Deep seated desire to both punch, mutilate, and forcibly destroy your party and raid member's computers and/or faces. Yep, that's a healer's real job.

Yet there's nothing like looking at a kill on a boss and counting how many times you pulled a dps or tank back from death. You see your dps numbers, mister mage? Half of those are belong to me.Raid group: ALL OF YOUR DPS IS HALF MINE! Muahahahahahaa!

Also brings me a sick satisfaction popping a full raid wall on a tank (all the bubbles possible) on the pull and watching his health not move for a good 10 secs. Take that dragon/statue/bird/thingy I killed!

My back hurts from all this carrying. :3
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Welcome to the world of healing. It gets no better when you're at max level. It only gets worse.

Albeit a little more people are understanding. Kind of.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't really have resentment towards these people anymore. I find it funny. I think it's easier that way.

You have to sigh and then come up with a way to make it funny for everyone.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Priest

>.>

This is so true. SO dang true. Honestly, I wouldn't play a healer if I didn't actually REALLY enjoy being angry.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

>.>

This is so true. SO dang true. Honestly, I wouldn't play a healer if I didn't actually REALLY enjoy being angry.

Which is why, as a form of anger management, we play whack a mole with health bars...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Healers often take the blame for people dying a lot of the time, even if it isn't our fault. To be a healer means to accept this, for better or for worse. Not many people want to deal with taking the unfair blame, and I don't blame them for feeling this way. I've seen people get kicked out of LFR for 'not healing enough' even though they died halfway through the fight and their HPS before their death was still very respectable. Oh, and they died to adds that people didn't take off them. *eyeroll*

Tanks and healers are the ones that get blamed very often for any sort of screwup. As far as leveling, it is simply easier to solo and level as a DPS spec. Tanks and healers are important in dungeons, but not everyone decides to level solely in dungeons. When I first leveled my druid, I leveled to 80 as resto (I don't know how I did it). After I came back, I leveled as boomkin... and it was SO MUCH FASTER. Recently, healer DPS has been nerfed to balance out the fact that we are very hard to kill, so leveling as a healer is much harder than it used to be. Not many people are going to take the time to learn more than one spec, nor do they want the sort of attention being a healer brings you.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Little tip, pretend you are god. YOU get to chose who will live and who shall die, i have a habbit of laughing maniacally on vent and saying live live live DIE as im healing. It really helps trust me.

An when people try to yell at you, just tell them of your powers and there life is in your hands an at your sole discretion and can be crushed at your slightest whim.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]