Issue with MBPr FPS been fixed?

there is a known issue with MBPr where unless the system is set on the default resolution all the resolutions in WoW will be all kinds of screwed up.

has this issue been fixed and if not what is the timetable?
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Human Priest
Regardless of what resolution your set your machine to, WoW uses a hardcoded set of resolutions, which as you noted are "all kinds of screwed up", at least from a VESA standpoint.

They still do their job, but some of them seem to invoke the GPU scaler twice, which adds to the blurriness.

You can bypass the odd resolution and make WoW use a specific resolution of your choosing by performing the steps outlined below:

Open the Terminal and enter the following line, followed by the Enter key:

defaults write com.blizzard.worldofwarcraft DesktopModeIsDefault 1

Once entered World of Warcraft can use your current desktop resolution as if it were the native resolution. In order for this to work, you must first set your desktop resolution to whatever you want World of Warcraft to run at, and then launch World of Warcraft.

To revert your preference file, issue the following command in Terminal:

defaults delete com.blizzard.worldofwarcraft DesktopModeIsDefault

You should make a backup of this file before attempting this, just in case. The file is located here:

~/Library/Preferences/com.blizzard.worldofwarcraft.plist

This will allow you to use a lower resolution for World of Warcraft like you used to without the added distortion/UI offsets caused by the non-standard resolutions that are now hard-coded into the game.

Edit: Tech supporting multiple threads and not managing clipboard = D'oh!
Caution: This cookie bites back.
Edited by Tiapriestess on 4/18/2013 10:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I have mountain lion. does that make your argument invalid?

No MBPr were shipped w/o Mountain Lion
Edited by Khamard on 4/18/2013 9:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
also the file you referenced above is simply not there.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Human Priest
I have mountain lion. does that make your argument invalid?

No MBPr were shipped w/o Mountain Lion

Hrm. Looks like I forgot to empty my clipboard when I posted. That's mybad. I'll fix that.

also the file you referenced above is simply not there.

To which file are you referring?

Reply Quote
you made reference to a file to write to change the hard coded resolutions. No offense but did you even read what you wrote?

Also --- those "hardcoded" resolutions are all screwy and it has nothing to do with the fact that I'm on Mountain Lion.

So I guess we're back to the original question asked.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Human Priest
You said you were unable to find the file I mentioned. Would that be this one?

~/Library/Preferences/com.blizzard.worldofwarcraft.plist

If so, I have a feeling you are looking in this directory:

/Library/Preferences/

You need to look in this directory to find your file to back up (if you choose to back up the file that is):

/users/UserName/Library/Preferences

The terminal command I gave you lets you bypass the "weird" resolutions you are given inside of World of Warcraft by making WoW use whatever your desktop resolution is as its own internal "maximum" resolution. That is, if your native display resolution is 2880x1800 (Retina), you can use the Terminal command above and then switch your resolution to say, a more manageable 1920x1080 and WoW will think that is your monitor's native resolution and use it.

If you attempt to use the pulldown list with or without the Terminal command in effect you'll still get the "weird" resolutions listed, but at least with the Terminal command you can first choose your own desired resolution in the OS and then run WoW. You'll incur a fair bit less blurring than with the pulldown resolutions menu.

As to when the pulldown resolutions list will be "fixed", believe it or not, that resolution list is the current fix for several bugs that compounded on each other both when switching to/from fullscreen mode and with being not being able to display in progressive scan mode on a 1080p display (the game would previously force 1080i instead of 1080p causing massive blurring).

So for now, you can either use those resolutions, which are of the same aspect ratio as your display is, or you can use the Terminal command I listed and bypass that by choosing your own resolution and have a better looking game. The choice is yours.

Reply Quote
/users/UserName/Library/Preferences

thanks for your help and patience

When I use this path --- there isn't a Library folder. Is something hidden from my view?
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
yes it is, on 10.7 or higher. the proper way to get to it is to do following

1. In Finder, choose "go" from menu bar
2. Now hold down "option" key. This unhides library from that menu and lets you select it
Reply Quote
Hi.

I followed your directions to a T -- they didn't work. What kind of resolution is 3840x2400 anyways???

Give me a break.

I wan to keep my Retina display on 1900x1200 but when I do I get resolutions like 3840x2400 in WoW. Ridiculous.

Why can't I keep my desktop resolution at 1900x1200 and the in game resolution at 2880x1800 like I did pre 5.2?
Edited by Khamard on 4/19/2013 8:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Human Priest
I followed your directions to a T -- they didn't work. What kind of resolution is 3840x2400 anyways???

WoW is accessing resolutions that the graphics card is capable of, but which OS X typically cannot see. You see, the way the Retina MBP works is that for all of its non-native resolutions, it internally renders the image at twice the selected resolution and scales down to create a more crisp image than an image that is simply scaled up from the lower resolution to the rMBP's native screen resolution.

So if you choose 1900x1200, which is the highest resolution you can normally pick within OS X, the rMBP's hardware actually renders it internally at 3840x2400 and scales it down. This has the effect of making it appear more crisply than a true 1920x1200 image scaled up to the rMBP's native pixel resolution, but at a significant cost in performance.

I wan to keep my Retina display on 1900x1200 but when I do I get resolutions like 3840x2400 in WoW. Ridiculous.

See above for why WoW can see those higher resolutions. And know that it is not wise to select any resolution higher than your screen's actual pixel count.

Why can't I keep my desktop resolution at 1900x1200 and the in game resolution at 2880x1800 like I did pre 5.2?

You can't do it the old way because the way the game handles resolutions has been changed to accomodate any display, including those with 1080p native resolutions which were being rendered in interlaced mode instead of the proper progressive scan mode.

When using the Terminal command I gave you above, WoW will use whatever resolution you are currently at on the Desktop (operating system) and use that as if it were your monitor's native resolution, thus making that the maximum resolution the game client can see.

I gave you the Terminal command because at that time you did not specify that you wished to set your desktop resolution to 1920x1200 and have the game use the screen's native resolution. There is, however, a way to have your cake and eat it too. Here's how:

The following link is to an article that details a utility called QuickRes that was originally designed specifically for the Retina MBP. It lets you select your native resolution within OS X itself.

This is useful to you because while you're not playing games, you can select 1920x1200 from its list of resolutions, and with the Terminal command I gave you (which you have to set only once until you decide you do not want to use it anymore - basically a "set it and forget it" thing) you can use QuickRes to select 2880x1800 and then launch WoW and the game client will then use that resolution. You'll never have to touch the in-game resolutions menu again because with the Terminal command in this thread, the game client uses your desktop resolution, which you will have set to 2880x1800 with QuickRes before you launched WoW.

And with that, you have harmony at last. You get your 1920x1200 resolution for regular work, and 2880x1800 for WoW. Just understand that when you increase your resolution like that for WoW, you will take a very noticeable performance hit. You are after all driving a lot more pixels than you were at 1920x1880. To be exact, you'll be driving 2,304,000 pixels at 1920x1200 and a whopping 5,184,000 at the rMBP's native screen resolution of 2880x1800. That's more than twice the pixels for the GPU to drive, so expect a performance hit.

Hopefully this helps you understand the why, and how to get around the "why".

Reply Quote
Thanks for more information.

Why then at the native Retina resolution selected in the system preference does WoW give the option for 2880x1880?

Why doesn't WoW double the pixels like MacOS? If I chose a "lower" resolution when I have my desktop set at 1920x1200, which you're telling me is actually double, and WoW is showing me the real resolution instead of doing what the OS is doing, which you're saying is scaling down to make it more crisp. -- All those other resolutions are so fuzzy they're not even worth looking at.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Human Priest
Have you tried the "Best for Retina" setting? That seems to be the best compromise for most players, both for performance and looks.

Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Not once in the thread have I mentioned performance.

2880x1880 works fine in WoW in terms of performance. I can only get that resolution if I have my desktop set on "Best for Retina"

I want my desktop on 1920x1200 (or whatever its scaled to) and WoW at 2880x1880 like it was pre 5.2.

I'm sure this isn't your intention but it seems you're talking about of both sides of your mouth. the OS does it but the game doesn't.

if a Retina is set on anything other than "Best for Retina" resolution WoW is unplayable because the scaled up resolution of 3840x2400 does cause performance issues and any resolution less than that is too fuzzy to play.

You've been telling me this whole time that this change is intentional.

this post right here says its a known bug.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6489880421

It clearly can't be both.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Human Priest
I'm sure this isn't your intention but it seems you're talking about of both sides of your mouth. the OS does it but the game doesn't.

I'm actually speaking the truth. The game's handling of resolutions was changed, as I noted above for the reasons I noted above. I was one of the first to test it to help fine tune it, and it isn't a perfect system. But it does get around a few rather irksome bugs in the OS itself.

The weird resolutions (not the very large ones you can't realistically even use) are in fact intentional. We used to get straight up VESA resolutions like 1600x900 and such. Now we get stuff like 1598x898. Not quite VESA, but still the same aspect ratio. Only thing is those oddball resolutions tend to invoke the GPU's scaler not once, but twice. I have a little utility that I can't give out that allows me to shut off the primary GPU scaler and it sharpens those resolutions noticeably (but not perfectly - they're still somewhat blurry).

You've been telling me this whole time that this change is intentional.

this post right here says its a known bug.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6489880421

Looks like I missed one, but that has only to do with you seeing the rather excessive (and larger than your display can handle) resolution. You are right though, that particular behaviour isn't intended. /selffacepalm for not catching that one.

"Best for retina" is actually 1440x900 internally rendered at 2880x1800. It's pixel doubling, but in the case of the Retina display, because it's exactly pixel doubling to the correct native resolution and those pixels are so densely packed, you get a rather crisp image. OS X proper doesn't give you access to 2880x1900, ever. Many games do, and before the resolutions handling change, so too did WoW.

2880x1880 works fine in WoW in terms of performance. I can only get that resolution if I have my desktop set on "Best for Retina"

The reason you could get that resolution is because of the scaling trick Apple uses as I mentioned above. If you're getting >40 FPS, especially in the MoP areas under that listed resolution, then you are almost certainly running 1440x900 scaled (which looks really good on those Retina displays). Driving WoW at true 2880x1800 would drop your framerates fairly significantly.

I used to actually use this scaling technique on my old PowerMac 7500 back in the day. The incoming video was 320x240 and my monitor was natively 640x480, and when the video was presented in fullscreen mode, it was pixel doubled, just like the Best for Retina setting is. Looked sharp as a nail. Unfortunately, unlike these days, there was no vSync for those computers and I got lots of screen tearing on fast moving games.

Hopefully once that bug gets fixed you can access your proper resolutions again.

Quick question, since I don't have an rMBP to test this with: If you set the machine at "Best for Retina" (which is again 1440x900 scaled to 2880x1800) with Terminal command active, do you get access to 2880x1800 in the pulldown menu at all?

I suppose a screenshot of what you can get would be helpful, at least so I know what ranges it's giving you. For what it's worth, 5.2 and Diablo 3 1.0.7 reintroduced the bug where if you don't use the Terminal command listed in this thread and have a 1080p TV/monitor like I do, the game forces it into 1080i mode.

I actually had to research exactly what "Best for Retina" really meant with these rMBPs. That Apple chose to make OS X not allow access to the screen's native resolution is puzzling to say the least, but hey, they aren't exactly known for being straightforward with anything these days. And if you don't believe Best for Retina is upscaling, try to remember that 2880x1800 on a 15" display would render text so small that it'd be unreadable for most people. Crisp, but too small. And the reason Best for Retina runs pretty good in games is because at 1440x900 scaled up, the GPU only has to render one fourth the amount of detail as it would at 2880x1800 (whenever you double resolution, you quadruple pixel count). I guarantee you'd notice that performance loss. Playable, yes. Smooth? Not really.

BTW, if you boot into Windows via Boot Camp, you'll gain access to the true 2880x1800 resolution. It doesn't use scaling like OS X does, so you'll see much smaller text at native resolution in Windows.

Thanks for making me go take another look at the 5.2 bugs thread. I hope it gets fixed, for both of us.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
thanks so much for your response and I also am sorry for being a bit of a !@#$% as you have been nothing but helpful.

As long as the rMBP is set to "best for retina" the "normal" resolutions are in WoW.

I prefer my rMPB desktop set at 1900x1200 which pre 5.2 allowed me the option of choosing 2880x1800 in WoW.

Now, the only way I can get this resolution is if I have the rMBP desktop set at "best for retina"

with the rMBP desktop set at "best for retina" there is no reason to use the terminal command because it will give you the option of 2880x1800 in WoW - its only when you deviate from the "best for retina" resolution do you get the "screwy" ones.

My first world problem is exactly that....a first world problem. the best fix that you have offered was the QuickRes app. I did try that and it would allow the rMBP to be at a resolution of 2880x1800 and you're completely correct --- virtually unreadable on the desktop.

the reason its such a big deal is I often command/tab out of WoW to do other things and I loved the 1900x1200 resolution.

In any event....I think we can consider this specific issue addressed until there is a fix issued.

....first world problems...I tell you.

=-)
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Human Priest
thanks so much for your response and I also am sorry for being a bit of a !@#$% as you have been nothing but helpful.

Meh. One develops a thick skin when taking part in any kind of customer/tech support role. It comes with the territory. :D

the reason its such a big deal is I often command/tab out of WoW to do other things and I loved the 1900x1200 resolution.

I'm sure the ginormous resolutions in the WoW in-game pulldown menu will get fixed, but I have a sneaking suspicion that CMD-Tab giving you a change to your desktop resolution may not be coming back anytime soon. S4d1k's been having to finagle the code to try and get around WoW basically doing a UI restart whenever CMD-Tab is used in addition to various OS X related shenanigans.

The poor blokes that get these game clients ready for us really aren't getting a whole lot of help from Apple on these issues, since Apple continues to throw monkey wrenches into the mix time and time again.

If OS X actually handled resolutions properly like every other operating system in the world does, a lot of these problems wouldn't even be happening.

Fun Fact of the Day: Using QuickRes on a non-Retina class display and enabling HiDPI mode renders the screen at half of the resolution. So a 1920x1080 display shows 960x540 in the QuickRes menu, and to top it off forces TVs into interlaced mode, invoking both the GPU scaler and the TV's internal scaler netting the exact opposite of the desired effect.

Score one for Windows on the resolutions front.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
Tiapriestess,

Thank you for posting the helpful console command! This really made a big difference in my performance while playing WoW on my MBPr.

WoW would set the resolution slightly above 2880 x 1800 (1440 x 900 retina) which made the MBPr try to perform harder and less efficient. I would at best be at 20 FPS but would drop down to 10 FPS during highly intensive moments.

Now, with the console command now setting a fix 2880 x 1800 resolution, I'm constantly between 35-50 FPS – and can turn the camera a full 360 without stagger and tear! It has also cause the MBPr fans now to whirl up all the time.

Thanks again!

Here are some other helpful programs that helped me increase my performance playing on this machine:

FreeMemory: A program that will free up your memory. Its free on the AppStore.
gfxCardStatus: It informs you if you're using either the integrated video card or GPU as well as giving you the ability to switch between the two on the fly. It is also a free program that you can find at gfx.io.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
you can do the memory thing by just doing "sudo -purge" in terminal. that's probably all that app does.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Does this still apply to the 2013 13" MBPr? I did not see any difference with or without running the script? I am guessing that maybe that this was changed in game? I am trying to maximize my performance on this machine. My OS is set for best for retina and in game is set to 2560x1600. Most settings on fair (since everything is so crisp at this resolution). I am getting around 50 fps in the AH.

Please let me know if anyone has found a better/best setup for this macbook.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]