Who's your favorite Old God?

Hate to rain on your parade man, but Y'Shaarj isn't dead.

Blizzard has said that Y'Shaarj is dead.

At the end of the Klaxxi questline, the mantid mentioned that at one point in time, they worshipped Y'shaarj, an old god. However, he was slain by the Titans and was split into "shadows of his former self". Is he, in some way, in relations with the Sha and will we see Y'shaarj in future content patches?

Y'shaarj breathed love and exhaled hate, inhaled peace and breathed violence... Plus, his name was y'SHAarj. It's pretty safe to connect the dots. :smileyhappy: But Y'shaarj itself is very, very, very dead.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/2932-Best-Buy-Developer-Q-A
Edited by Haaely on 4/19/2013 4:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
04/19/2013 04:44 AMPosted by Haaely
Hate to rain on your parade man, but Y'Shaarj isn't dead.

Blizzard has said that Y'Shaarj is dead.

At the end of the Klaxxi questline, the mantid mentioned that at one point in time, they worshipped Y'shaarj, an old god. However, he was slain by the Titans and was split into "shadows of his former self". Is he, in some way, in relations with the Sha and will we see Y'shaarj in future content patches?

Y'shaarj breathed love and exhaled hate, inhaled peace and breathed violence... Plus, his name was y'SHAarj. It's pretty safe to connect the dots. :smileyhappy: But Y'shaarj itself is very, very, very dead.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/2932-Best-Buy-Developer-Q-A

So...... Did you just read that line, and then nothing else in my post?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPg5C7kUwXg

Y'shaarj is literally talking !@#$ to the idea that he's dead.
Reply Quote
So...... Did you just read that line, and then nothing else in my post?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPg5C7kUwXg

Y'shaarj is literally talking !@#$ to the idea that he's dead.

You only said like 2 things and then linked a video.

I already pointed out in a previous post that previous Lore has said that the Old Gods don't follow life and death or whatever you would call it.

So yes Y'Shaarj is dead, but it's not possible to completely destroy an Old God.

Edit: I'm not trying to argue or anything. I just wanted to provide the link and everything where Blizzard states that Y'Shaarj is very very dead.
Edited by Haaely on 4/19/2013 4:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

I said, "He's not dead" and, "Here's what happened instead", then I linked a video wherein Y'Shaarj talks to the player characters.

So yes Y'Shaarj is dead, but it's not possible to completely destroy an Old God.

Then he's not dead.

Unless it's Y'Shaarj's GHOST that's sealed up in that box. In which case, he'd be undead.

Sorry, but i'm not aware of any definition of the word "dead" that allows for the person in case to be telling you that they're getting stronger by the second.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Edit: I'm not trying to argue or anything. I just wanted to provide the link and everything where Blizzard states that Y'Shaarj is very very dead.

The quote in question was taken some time ago, around the release of MoP, if i'm correct. This new lore is..... Well, new lore. It comes first.
Edited by Veloran on 4/19/2013 5:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/19/2013 05:02 AMPosted by Veloran

I said, "He's not dead" and, "Here's what happened instead", then I linked a video wherein Y'Shaarj talks to the player characters.

Then he's not dead.

Unless it's Y'Shaarj's GHOST that's sealed up in that box. In which case, he'd be undead.

Sorry, but i'm not aware of any definition of the word "dead" that allows for the person in case to be telling you that they're getting stronger by the second.

What we know is the Titans killed Y'Shaarj. Blizzard has clearly said that he/she/it is dead.

I realize there is some sort of interaction with Y'Shaarj and it's heart I'm not a fu*cking idiot I've seen the video more than once.

I already said I'm not trying not to argue I am just presenting the facts of what has been said. It's completely possible that Y'Shaarj has some how regenerated or come back to life or something.
Reply Quote
04/19/2013 05:06 AMPosted by Veloran

The quote in question was taken some time ago, around the release of MoP, if i'm correct. This new lore is..... Well, new lore. It comes first.

Thanks for pointing that out I wasn't sure if I remembered.

Although technically 5.3 isn't released yet, but that's just a small technicality.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
04/19/2013 05:07 AMPosted by Haaely
What we know is the Titans killed Y'Shaarj. Blizzard has clearly said that he/she/it is dead.

Some time ago.

I already said I'm not trying not to argue I am just presenting the facts of what has been said. It's completely possible that Y'Shaarj has some how regenerated or come back to life or something.

That's very possible. Either way, he's not dead now.

Which means, in regards to Dryker, no. The Titans couldn't permanently kill an Old God. Just, at most, inconvenience one for a while.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Although technically 5.3 isn't released yet, but that's just a small technicality.

True. They could pull/revamp his dialogue for 5.3.

But, he'll probably still have dialogue.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
What's up with the old gods anyway? Why are they so bent of being dicks?
Did somebody steal their cupcakes when they were Baby Gods?

Also C'thun. His voice always gave me the heebie jeebies.
Reply Quote
55 Draenei Death Knight
Azeroth- there a reason, why the titan could not be removed. The old god IS the planet
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight

Also C'thun. His voice always gave me the heebie jeebies.

Well, think about it. The Titans came in, decided they didn't like the Old Gods, and proceeded to kill one of them and then lock the rest up. Then afterwards, they put their own people on the planet to live there.

Imagine someone coming into your house, deciding they didn't like you, killing someone in your family, locking you in the basement, and then moving their family in to live there.

You'd be pretty ticked, wouldn't you?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Its more like the cops removing a squatter since the old gods are not from here.

The Titans destroyed Y'Shaarj almost completely he has no power(at least none he can use willingly) only his heart remains for all intense and purposes hes dead . Guldan was slain and only his skull remain yet it could talk with whoever wielded it death is not permanent in WoW.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
04/19/2013 04:37 PMPosted by Nathreim
The Titans destroyed Y'Shaarj almost completely he has no power(at least none he can use willingly) only his heart remains for all intense and purposes hes dead .

Almost.

They still feared Y'Shaarj enough that they were forced to imprison him in a huge, magical prison, and to leave a Watcher with an army of constructs to keep him there. If they could have actually killed him, they would have. But they didn't. Because they couldn't.
Reply Quote

It's an HP Lovecraft thing. Also, they aren't happy about the way the Titans moved in on their action.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Praise be to glorious Yog-Sothoth... I mean Yogg-Saron.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
I cant wait until its revealed that we've been living on Azathoth..er...Azeroth..and that its a super old god.

Final expansion of WoW: We fight the planet itself
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Y'Shaarj - he's not big, he's not bombastic, he's not even a behind the scenes manipulator. But he's just living- nay, DEAD proof that, hey, maybe the horrible tentacle beasts are just lying to you to inflate their own writhing egos.

5.3 SPOILERS AHEAD, BEWARE!

I think that Old Gods can never truly "die", just as it has always been thought in the past. You can destroy every piece of their physical body and they can still live on in essence (the Sha). I think it is revealed somewhere that while the Titans may very well have killed Y'Shaarj, killing the Shas around Pandaria is actually helping to revive him.

His "heart" is locked away beneath the Vale, which is, in my opinion, the reason why the Mogu built the wall to keep the Mantid out. The Mantid who worshipped him may very well know of a way to resurrect his physical form so that he can return to Azeroth. The death of Y'Shaarj is more like sleeping, as he has no actual influence and can't really do anything, but he is still there, and he wants more than anything to wake up.

All that said, my favorite OG is Y'Shaarj, mostly because in my crazy Tinfoil Hat dream he is the one responsible for corrupting Sargeras. (Look back on the "prophecy of C'thun" thing, mostly where it says that a Titan "fell" and so did an Old God, rather than a saying they were killed. Sargeras is the only Titan ever referred to as "Fallen", and Y'Shaarj could easily be the Old God thought to have been slain by him. Sargeras "kills" Y'Shaarj, sees the Chaos that erupts from doing so, and loses all faith in his mission to bring Order after seeing that it only brings Chaos.)
/Tinfoil Hat off.
Reply Quote
48 Night Elf Hunter

Lies. Lies and propaganda all of it. There is and never was any reason to take any of the Old Gods or their minions at face value on any of their claims. They can't be killed because... they say so?

Ummm... because otherwise the Titans would have just simply killed them instead of imprisoning them.

It even says in Halls of Stone that this is the case.
Reply Quote
48 Night Elf Hunter
And to answer the OP Y'shaarj. So far I like what I've seen. I also like how all the sha are basically a sort of cursed form from him that take on people's emotions. Hopefully we get to fight him before the expansion ends.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]