Paladin or Monk for a casual healer?

90 Draenei Paladin
I'm just coming back to the game with less time available than I have had in the past, and I'm trying out healing which I haven't done in a long time.

I have a Paladin and a Monk, both near level 90, which I have been thinking about sticking with. Which of these are fun to learn with at a casual pace in the opinion of people who have done so? Not looking for the best options, just fun really.
Reply Quote
I find my monk to be a hell of a lot of fun to play, the most fun I've had as a healer since WotLK when I played my paladin. Granted, I haven't played my paladin much since Firelands in Cata..

In any case, I had an off set for tanking / dps for when I did dailies and such, but I never use it anymore as I actually do more damage specced as a healer as of 5.2. Being able to kill !@#$ as a healer has always been fun to me, which is why I think I enjoyed my pally so much in LK. I could run around using HS and both levels of whatever that shield bash type ability was. Good times..

But yeah, monks are super fun. Running in circles throwing green misty crap on people and pooping green orbs.

Do you like green? You'll love a monk.
Reply Quote
83 Worgen Rogue
I find my monk to be a hell of a lot of fun to play, the most fun I've had as a healer since WotLK when I played my paladin. Granted, I haven't played my paladin much since Firelands in Cata..

In any case, I had an off set for tanking / dps for when I did dailies and such, but I never use it anymore as I actually do more damage specced as a healer as of 5.2. Being able to kill !@#$ as a healer has always been fun to me, which is why I think I enjoyed my pally so much in LK. I could run around using HS and both levels of whatever that shield bash type ability was. Good times..

But yeah, monks are super fun. Running in circles throwing green misty crap on people and pooping green orbs.

Do you like green? You'll love a monk.
I do in fact like green. I guess I am just concerned that there will be Monk over-saturation and that I'll be in the same place as a DK back in WotLK.

EDIT: Oh, this is the OP, forgot I switched characters.
Edited by Swat on 4/19/2013 1:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Switched my profile back to the right character to ask about off-specs. I'd rather not make more threads than I need to, so I'll ask here.

Assuming I want to do any tanking at all for LFR or old content for transmogs, are Monk tanks easy to pick up, relative to other classes you've played? I see you have a Brewmaster off-spec.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
If you want healing fun, I think I would try out the monk over the paladin. Despite all the incredible utility buttons that paladins have, there is little that can defeat the ability to deal damage for healing. In heroics and LFR, for example, now that I outgear them the dungeon runs are very, very straightforward. Spamming a single (expensive) dps spell like denounce is not half as nifty as rolling around, spinning against mobs, and being awesome.

I wouldn't worry about oversaturation, Monks are not one of the higher population classes at level 90, especially compared to the paladin.
Reply Quote
91 Orc Monk
TBH even while leveling I tend to see more Pallies and DKs than Monks. Monk healing so far has been one of my favorite experiences of the recent patch, damage output sure, OHSHIIII button yep, interesting resource management: you bet. All in all very much enjoying it.
Reply Quote
If you want healing fun, I think I would try out the monk over the paladin. Despite all the incredible utility buttons that paladins have, there is little that can defeat the ability to deal damage for healing. In heroics and LFR, for example, now that I outgear them the dungeon runs are very, very straightforward. Spamming a single (expensive) dps spell like denounce is not half as nifty as rolling around, spinning against mobs, and being awesome.

I wouldn't worry about oversaturation, Monks are not one of the higher population classes at level 90, especially compared to the paladin.

Pretty much this.

I outgear heroics by so much now that I can pull 100k+ dps in them while healing. I've been able to comfortably heal heroics just by fistweaving since around a 490 iLvl, it's just gotten easier with more gear.

As for monk saturation, I really doubt monks will ever be like death knights were back in WotLK. MoP has been out long enough that I think most people have settled into their mains.

In my personal experience, it seems that monks are one of the less-represented classes (which I don't mind!).
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Monk healing is great in my personal opinion, and if you don't mind potential changes to how the class works it might end up being fun for you as well. If you're looking at tanking offspecs, the Brewmaster spec has a lot of room for you to turn into a rogue tank (aka you're squishy) but is also very rewarding and active compared to other tanks.

Really though the best way to figure this out is to play'em both for yourself and with the 33% nerf to xp needed to hit 90 coming in 5.3 that might be more viable for you soon.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]