Boomkin needs help with resto spec

100 Night Elf Druid
Hey guys, I have been a boomer for years now, and avoided healing except where needed. The resto spec just is not a big appeal to me, I prefer blasting away on the boss.

That being said, my guild has asked me to step in as a healer more frequently lately, and while I have read EJ quite a bit, it makes everything so situational that it is difficult for me to grasp a lot of times. (Lack of real interest probably has a bit to do with it)

What would help is if some of you restos could give me a "healing for dummies" kind of idea for raiding.

IE

#1What is your typical healing rotation in "typical" phases? In other words not when there are large bursts but the other 75% of the raid encounter when it is just moderate healing for good players.

#2 What is your strategy when "that guy/girl" stands in fire and plummets, how do you get them back quickly?

#3 What do we do when there is a "burst" of damage across the board? I know we have HOTS but when everyone drops 75% due to an AOE or other mechanic how do we recover them quickly

#4 As a boomer, I am used to my "eternal pool of mana" When I heal I see it quickly becomes the "plummeting pool of mana". What tricks and suggestions do you have for mana conservation?

Thanks so much for this. I greatly appreciate it!
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
The resto sticky in the druid forums is a good place to start, but to try to answer your questions:

1) Keep Lifebloom rolling on the tank (either one, depending on damage patterns). If a single person is taking moderate damage, put a Rejuve on them. If the melee clump takes moderate damage, put Rejuve on the one with the lowest health, and Swiftmend them. If a group of people moderately spread out take damage, Wild Growth one of them. If one person is taking moderate damage and is likely to continue doing so, Regrowth. Keep Harmony up at all times via Swiftmend, Regrowth, or, if absolutely nothing is happening and nothing will continute to happen for the next 5 seconds or so, Nourish. That is the only time you should ever use Nourish.

2) Nature's Swiftness + Healing Touch or Rejuve + Swiftmend, or, if those are both on CD, Regrowth spam. Alternatively, let the holy pally/resto shaman deal with it. :D

3) Tranquility. If you are spec'd to Soul of the Forest and can predict the burst in advance, you can Rejuve, Swiftmend, then Tranq.

4) Always have Lifebloom rolling. Always. Use the Clearcasting procs on Regrowth. If no one is taking damage, Regrowth the tank to refresh Lifebloom and put Living Seed on him/her. Don't cast an expensive spell on someone who doesn't need it. You aren't the only healer in the raid, and Rejuve will most likely get sniped if the damage isn't high or continuous. Get used to mushrooms. Place them somewhere, even just on the tank, when you have a free GCD or two. They can be a mini-Lay on Hands if a tank gets spiked, or a decent AoE heal if there is a melee scrum on top of them. Always use them on fights with predictable stacking (Jin'rokh).
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Thanks for the advice. I am boomer at heart, but I am trying to be a competent raid healer while keeping it simple.

Unfortunatly, with my gear level (while not specced for healing) current dungeons are a joke to practice healing in ( I can heal them in Boomkin spec for God's sake), and LFR is not exactly great practice either. Is there any way to "practice" persay without embarrassing myself in my raid group?
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
BGs. Lots and lots of BGs.

Of course, you may not have time to get into any real rotation.... :D

But seriously, LFR is actually a good place to practice a new spec and "rotation". You will get some of everything, and, unlike dungeons, bosses will live long enough for you to get used to your CDs and their timing. I would recommend starting with MSV LFR, as the fights are boringly easy, so you won't waste time with wipes and the inevitable chat-rage after said wipes. There is still enough damage in there going out that you will have plenty to heal.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Thanks, I gave LFR MSV a try and it seemed a cake walk (chat rage still there, there are always one or two who feel everyone is a moron, everybody sucks, and they are the only awesome players in wow...you know how it goes)

Healing that was cake....so then I decided to try the brand new LFR......yep, I got LOTS of work to do after THAT disaster! LOL
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
The second half of HoF is decent practice, without having the absurdity of LFR Garalon mechanicsfails.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
This is healing Jin' 10 man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ECjOgpwBsQ

And how very different a 5-man is for us

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIyHLpmol3Y

Both show you a lot in terms of spell usage and how you can dps too depending

The very first thing you need to do is to have information displayed for you exactly like when you're dps. You watch your dots and CDs and resto is no different in this regard. What is different is instead of one target you have an entire raid to monitor.

So what you need is is a way to apply your healing to that raid. This isn't a trivial choice and will effect the way you learn to heal but luckily you have a few choices. As you see in my video I am using VuhDo healing frames. It has pretty much everything one needs in terms of

Information - Hots either with icons or plain dots with timers etc, curses, poison diseases and debuffs. You also can set missing HP, bars to class color or plain, missing HP, max HP. You can even see other healer's hots or more important the tank's own CDs and you can place those icons anywhere on the frame and even size them individually!

The ability to click-cast without targeting i.e. built-in mouse-over (or you can set it to do that too).

You can also set macros through it's interface. All of your needed spells are set directly through it.

Two of the most important things to monitor as a resto are -

HARMONY
LIFEBLOOM

You can monitor both as you do with moonfire - I use NEEDTOKNOW add-on as you see in the video as BARS. Very easy to setup.

But you don't need to use this add-on. You can simply use the default Blizzard UI with a simply add-on called Clique. Clique after installing is located on the last TAB on your spel book and you simply click it and go to what spells you wish to assign with it and simply click the spell in your spell book. For example - I use LEFT MOUSE for rejuvenation. So after clicking on the Clique Tab on spell book I simply LEFT CLICK rejuv and it's done. Now target someone in game and left click on their default frame and presto.

Since you haven't had any former spells tied to any particular key-binds I'll tell you what I use. You can of course modify it later but I think these combos are grewat for healing.

Rejuv - Mouse Left click
Nourish - Mouse Right click
LifeBloom - Ctrl + Right mouse click
ReGrowth - Ctrl + Left mouse click
Healing Touch - Shift + Left mouse click
Swiftmend - MiddleMouse DOWN
WildGrowth - MiddleMouse UP
Nature's Cure (dispel) KEYBOARD E
Tranquility Manually
Nature's Swiftness - Macro through VuhDo
Cenarion Ward - Macro through VuhDo
IronBark - Macro through VuhDo

Now there are other healing frames such as Healbot, EvilUI and Grid+Clique. Grid+Clique is just as popular as VuhDO although VuhDo does everything whereas Grid_Clique requires multiple add-ons for it to do everything VuhDo does straight out of the box. Simplicity at it's finest imo.

Watch the video and if you have any questions as to particulars of healing ask and I'll try and explain more here. There is a lot to learn and it takes a little bit of time to become efficient as it did when you were first learning to DPS.
Edited by Moophious on 4/4/2013 8:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Ooh, I like the appearance of that Lifebloom tracker!

*Scurries off to change an add-on.*
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Ooh, I like the appearance of that Lifebloom tracker!

*Scurries off to change an add-on.*

Yes that add-on is TELLMEWHEN
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
04/03/2013 08:07 AMPosted by Darksomethin
#1What is your typical healing rotation in "typical" phases?

I wish every fight had more "typical" damage. In those cases, have LBx3 on a tank and RJ on anyone taking enough damage to justify it. Regrowth will likely be your main method of refreshing LB on the tank. Use WG for any raid damage.

#2 What is your strategy when "that guy/girl" stands in fire and plummets

I let them die.

Really, depends. If they're smart enough to get out of the fire and there's no incoming damage, I'll hit a RJ on them and let it take it's course. If it's an absolute emergency, I'll hit them with a NS-HT. If it's important to give them a good, quick heal now, I'll RG, maybe followed by RJ. If they're near others and likely to stay still, I'll RJ-SM.

#3 What do we do when there is a "burst" of damage across the board? I know we have HOTS but when everyone drops 75% due to an AOE or other mechanic how do we recover them quickly

Depends. For example, on Elegon, when the protector explodes, everyone drops. But because that's it for a while, WG is enough. Pre-primed mushrooms can do well, also. And of course, Tranquility.

#4 What tricks and suggestions do you have for mana conservation?!

Try not to waste heals. For example, if a mage takes a hit and you RJ them and you know that will be enough, don't then think "well, I'll RG them too so they heal right away". Let your HOT do its job. Ditto with clipping your RJs -- you don't spam Moonfire/Sunfire, so treat RJ the same way. Use Innervate early and often. Keep Harmony up, and keep LB up for OOC procs.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
#4 What tricks and suggestions do you have for mana conservation?!

There are what we call 'core spells' namely Lifebloom, WildGrowth and Swiftmend. Then there are 'filler' spells such as Rejuvenation, ReGrowth and Healing Touch.

We also have minor CD spells such as Nature's Swiftness coupled with ReGrowth or Healing Touch and IronBark.

For major CDs we have Tranquility, Incarnation and Nature's Vigil. NV and Incar are talent choices.

So typically in a standard healing scenario we keep Lifebloom rolling on the tank and utilize the glyph to switch between either both tanks or another party member depending - the key is to save yourself the 3 GCDs and switching it when it's needed.

We also normally but not always keep a Rejuvenation rolling on the current tank.

We normally but not always SwiftMend on CD. This (if spec'd into Soul of the Forest) boosts our next WildGrowth by an considerable amount (NOTE: we can also boost Rejuvenation) by adding more ticks to the base amount.

Simply casting LB, SM, rejuv and WildGrowth won't cause your avg resto druid any mana concerns. What does cause concern is spamming your filler spells too much, namely rejuvenation and ReGrowth. But because we keep Lifebloom rolling, we get Omen of Clarity procs which we utilize mainly for a free ReGrowth.

The key to all this is to use your core spells as much as needed and to fill with fill spells less often. This is of course entails managing your tool-kit correctly so as to not use more mana than your current gear/spirit level allows.

As has been stated already - make sure to use innervate about 80% and on CD after for the remainder of the encounter unless of course you're at full mana.

Use you big CDs when you know big damage is coming (on the raid). If you use Incarnation you have the ability to spam LB on multiple raid members and take advantage of the extra Omen Procs to get free ReGrowths. Use Tranquility when Incarnation is on CD.

If you spec into Soul of the Forest you'll want to utilize it with WildGrowth as much as possible. It simple as (4pc t14 use it on every WildGrowth, No 4pc t14 use it every other).
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Thank you all so much for the help. Last question, is how serious a detriment will it be with my gear specced to boomer? I am gemmed mostly towards crit, and I really do not feel like re-gemming and reforging each time my guild needs me to be a healer.

It sucks that wow destroys the pervious gem every time you regem. If you could just "switch it out" it would make life a lot easier. I just dont feel like dropping 1K gold on gems every time to "switch"
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
You will be gimping yourself. How much? It is hard to say, as I have never used boomy gear for resto, although I have done the reverse. The main issues will be: your Spirit will be waaaaay too low, the Haste breakpoints are different, and Mastery is to Restos as Crit is to boomies.

You will also be missing your tier bonuses, which, with low Spirit, will be painful. You would almost be better off farming a resto set from the T14 raids, and keeping it gemmed and reforged correctly. It doesn't have to be a complete set, just something that will get your Spirit over 8K, the Haste breakpoint where it needs to be, and Mastery as the main stat after those other conditions are met.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I know I'm not a Druid (the highest I got with one so far is 56) but perhaps I can offer something.

#1 There really is no rotation for healers in the same way as DPS. When raid damage is low I use the smallest heals possible. In the past I've just popped a totem, tossed out a RT and stood and regen mana, especially if I know a heavy heal phase is coming up. I'll also plan for the heavy damage phase and makes sure everything is ready for it.

#2 I don't really heal stupid anymore. I will however toss out heals for a few seconds to give them time to move. I understand sometimes people get tunnel vision or sometimes all the stuff on the floor makes it hard to see that you are standing in something. But after that, if they still don't move and/or they have had a history of not getting out of the fire on other mobs I'll switch to healing wave. If they can stay alive with that - lucky them. If they die before I can get the first one off, well perhaps they'll learn to move now.

#4 Don't use a big heal when a small heal will do. In a lot of ways this just takes practice and knowing the fights.

If you're going to heal in Boom gear it's probably going to be a rough ride. This Shammy healed LFR on Monday with an equipped ilevel of 450 and 5k spirit. It was doable, I kept up with the other healers but mana management was tricky and I had to work hard to make sure I wasn't leaving myself oom during phases where we needed a lot of healing. I know the fights well enough from running it on my Priest to do it, but I certainly wouldn't recommend doing normal modes that way.

HoF is definitely more challenging to heal then MSV, the latter which I normally atonement heal through and always found easy in LFR. (God some of the trash pulls in HoF will make you cry). For some reason, I've found HoF's LFR to be a lot harder and more punishing if a group is unwilling to pay attention then ToES.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
3) Tranquility. If you are spec'd to Soul of the Forest and can predict the burst in advance, you can Rejuve, Swiftmend, then Tranq.

I'm going to have to say no to this. All the SoTF buff gives you is a quicker channel time, to me it's a waste of the buff. Even if you can't SM/WG, a fast ticking Rejuv (SoTF will add extra ticks to this) on the tank will offer more than a quick channel will.

2) Nature's Swiftness + Healing Touch or Rejuve + Swiftmend, or, if those are both on CD, Regrowth spam.

You have to watch this though bc Regrowth spamming w/out a ton of Omen of Clarity procs is going to zap your mana in a quick second. Although it's always nerve racking when someone is bathing in fire, you do want to give your HoTs the chance to work. As long as they move out of it, you're HoTs will do a lot of the work for you.

Last question, is how serious a detriment will it be with my gear specced to boomer? I am gemmed mostly towards crit, and I really do not feel like re-gemming and reforging each time my guild needs me to be a healer.

I would agree w/ Pip in that you're really going to be hurting yourself. If you don't want to regem every time, start asking your guild for OS loot ( not always the easiest thing, I know) so you don't have to keep regemming/reforging your gear). We already have issues with overhealing as it is, having that much crit is really going to make it worse.

I would also recommend weak auras. It's great for setting reminders (like when innervate comes off cd) because you can have audio queues for when something is ready. I find this helpful bc you can focus more on the raid then watching timers. There's also a really great string out there for weak auras that shows you exactly how charged your mushrooms are so you don't have to click over them mid fight. It really helps w/ placing them in time to get used.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I want to thank everybody for all the help. I have been practicing, and I have healed ToES, MSV and now on TOT. Because of all your help, I have been typically #2 on a 3 heal fight, occasionally at the top of the heal charts.

I have run headlong into my first roadblock, Horridon. By door 4 I am completely OOM, no matter how conservative I try to be. I realize this is because I didnt listen to people here, and have continued to run with my 5200 or so spirit, using the falling leaves pot to get me over 6000 spirit.

Looking at my gear, I see with regemming and reforging, I can be at 11,800 spirit, with potion, I would be at 12,800 spirit. My question is, will this solve all my mana issues? How big of a regen difference is this? I looked on EJ and I see that its .56 or .58 mana regen per point of spirit every 5 sec. My issue is I really do not know what that regen increase means in terms of gameplay. With that level of spirit is my mana issue now solved?

I ask because in raids I know I will be asked to heal, I can regem and reforge, but obviously this gets expensive fast. If it is going to make a huge difference, then it is worth it. However if it is more that I have to learn to be even more conservative with my healing, then I would appreciate if you let me know.

Thanks so much for all of your help!
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I generally run with around 10k spirit, and find that it is all I need at the moment. Granted, I haven't completed the tier on normal, much less even peeked at heroics, and granted, I do have two regen trinkets equipped most of the time. Carrying more for Horridon isn't a bad idea, as all the dispels can get expensive. I would say, try running a lot of spirit, and if you get the kill and have more than 25% mana left, reforge back down until you are comfortable. That fight isn't about huge spike damage (well, it shouldn't be, if everyone does the mechanics correctly), so losing some other secondary stats in favor of spirit shouldn't hurt your overall healing much.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]