Weird glowing textures that vanish close up

100 Pandaren Mage
Hey guys! I'm having a really weird issue crop up as of late. Textures have started to glow in the distance. It looks a lot like green static, sort of hovering over the ground. When you get close it goes away. It also appears at the corners of the chat bars, and even items. [But again, once you scroll in it gets clear like nothing is wrong with it.]

I don't think its overheating. I'm on an imac, and the temperature has never gone past 45-50c. [And honestly, I've never seen it at 50.]

I just updated my OSX about a day or two ago, and never experienced these problems before updating. But its possibly a coincidence, too.

Here's a screenshot and my specs:

http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq345/acitylost/ohdear.png

Software:

System Software Overview:

System Version: OS X 10.8.3 (12D78)
Kernel Version: Darwin 12.3.0
Time since boot: 13:38

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac12,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Boot ROM Version: IM121.0047.B1F
SMC Version (system): 1.72f1

Graphics/Displays:

AMD Radeon HD 6770M:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6770M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6740
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-C0170F-170
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.544
Displays:
iMac:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Connection Type: DisplayPort

Other:

Input Source ID: com.apple.keylayout.US
Keyboard Layout: ANSI

Thanks so much!
Reply Quote
88 Human Paladin
I've got the same iMac as you (with a 6770M) and I've noticed the same glitch since 10.8.3 and even with latest 10.8.4 beta which got updated ATI drivers.
Edited by Dugnar on 4/5/2013 4:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Mage
While I'm not glad its happening, it is good to know I'm not the only one! Hopefully its a fixable issue.

Edit: While I didn't get a screenshot, another graphical glitch occurred during Sha of anger. The clouds of smoke had square static bars from a distance.
Edited by Wulon on 4/5/2013 5:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
Thanks for the report. I'll send this up for review.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
This is actually very similar to my report ( http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8568957929 ), the distortions i observed vanish when you get close enough. the 7950 i think just gets a more severe case of it than my 5870. the 5870 saw VERY little distortion and it was usualy on reflective surfaces like water when flying VERY high above it.

the common theme though is 10.8.3 ati drivers. between these distortions and the rain effect bug, i'm going to guess something is just borked at driver level
Edited by Omegal on 4/7/2013 3:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Yep! I have the exact same thing with the rain going on too. Its very sporadic as to when it happens or not.

I've got another screenshot that I think really clearly shows the weird nature of it. Here it is clinging to one of the officer bars in the guild: http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq345/acitylost/glitch.jpg

Looks kind of like entering into the matrix...
Edited by Yao on 4/8/2013 5:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
An update. Still seeing the issue in a lot of strange places.

http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq345/acitylost/moreglitch.png
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
Have you tried to reset your UI? I've had this happen on my 320M Mac Mini and it went away when I reset my UI. Maybe corrupted temp files?
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
This is almost exactly what i'm getting too. resetting UI doesn't fix it. relaunching wow typically does for a short period of time. it seems longer wow is open the worse it gets, it subsides or goes away for a while when you exit wow and relaunch fresh.

Yao, does your problem go away for a short time when wow is launched fresh?
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
This is almost exactly what i'm getting too. resetting UI doesn't fix it. relaunching wow typically does for a short period of time. it seems longer wow is open the worse it gets, it subsides or goes away for a while when you exit wow and relaunch fresh.

That's odd. If it were purely a driver problem it should be occuring all the time, not just after a period of playing. Could it be that we've got batches of cards with faulty VRAM in the upper address banks? Or perhaps these cards' heatsinks aren't making good contact with the GPU and/or VRAM chips, or VRM modules.

The symptoms as you describe it Omegal indicate hardware problems more than software problems.
Edited by Tiapriestess on 4/15/2013 2:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
The symptoms as you describe it Omegal indicate hardware problems more than software problems.

I been wondering that too. Hard to say without some real feedback from ATI. but considering i'm on a 7950 and he's on an imac card, and problem started at same time. it could still be wow.

these problems happen ONLY in wow. Diablo 3, portal 2, and sc2 are fine. Minus gamma issues in SC2 but those have been around over 2 years so that's nothing new. Only wow is misbehaving which indicates maybe wow is doing something funny with way it does stuff? Maybe wow starts acting up after it fills up vram and starts cycling textures in and out of it?

Should actually get some clarification from Yao though. we don't actually have your system specs. We have OPs specs. what are yours?

What we do know. 2 imacs on 10.8.3 acting up. One mac pro with ati 7950 acting up. 1 mac of unknown spec acting up.
Edited by Omegal on 4/15/2013 3:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Human Priest
I wonder if the common link here is 10.8.3. That would be something I'd be very interested in finding out.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
My apologies! Actually, I am the OP. I got my accounts switched when I was posting elsewhere.

However, here are some notes about what happens with me:

- Its typically very random, and it has happened immediately upon loading WoW. The screenshot where I'm looking at the stairs happened immediately upon loading a character.
- They do not get worse over time for me. It seems to be one random spot and then I might only ever encounter it once again in a new area.
- I can go days without seeing it. I actually thought the problem might have been patched until I posted the second set of screenshots.
- It seems to be always terrain, or a small object on my character that glows green. But if you hold the camera to it, or you zoom in, it vanishes.
- I have not seen it again appearing on the UI, but it has on occasion.
- It looks weirdly like 10101010101 numbers in the glowing texture.
- I have never seen the problem just happen. Its always already on the terrain by the time I 'arrive' there, not just randomly popping up after game time. And I can erase the problem by going close.
- I also have the rain glitch that causes rain to 'stop' when you are walking. It sort of freezes in midsplash. This happened at the same time as the glowing textures started.

- I do a lot of graphical editing and other things that make use of the video card. [Zbrush, photoshop, ect] I've seen no errors that might indicate a card dying or overheating.

While I cannot say for certain, I never saw these errors before updating to 10.8.3
Edited by Yao on 4/16/2013 11:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
88 Human Paladin
Seems fixed in latest 10.8.4 beta build (12e33a) which include updated ATI drivers (1.8.18).
Edited by Dugnar on 4/18/2013 10:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Human Priest
Let's hope this stays fixed in 10.8.4. 10.8.3 seems to be filled with bugs galore.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]