5.3 PTR Story Notes [SPOILERS]

90 Human Warlock
There have been a couple of threads with a few pieces of ptr info and then lots of reaction to them. It would be nice to have a thread that largely just posts info w/o too much debate.

I didn't see one of those, so I'm starting this one. Not sure how far I'll get into the PTR, but here goes... (starting next post)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Again, SPOILERS!! If you don't want them, don't read this thread!!!

5.3 Starting Quests/Scenarios
Both ally and horde start exactly the same way:
1) Quest from Lorewalker Cho to run ally scenario (Blood in the Snow)
2) Quest from Cho to run Horde scenario Dark Heart of Pandaria.
3) Starter quest in Durotar (SI agents for Ally; Vol'jin for Horde).

Blood in the Snow is apparently meant to show Ally unifying. As you probably know, ally player (or xformed Horde player) help Varian and Moira defeat some trolls in the usual troll area in Dun Morogh. Supposedly there are Zandalari involved, but if it weren't for a few mob names and being told Zandalari are involved, you wouldn't know that. [Edit: Its pointed out by others below that last boss is using a Zandalar 5.2 model.]

Dark Hear of Pandaria basically shows how Garrosh (through Mokoron) gets his hands on a Remnant of Y'shaarj. Kill some elementals, do a Mario'esh coin (artifact) collection, then deal with some mobs and an xformed goblin who briefly gets powered up by Y'shaarj's Heart. The Makoron shows up, acts like a parody of a comic book villain, and then takes custody of the Heart (and/or corpse?).

Cho does a storytelling setup for both scenarios. For the first one it goes like this:
Once upon a time - moments ago, in fact - a great king sought help from a trio of powerful dwaves: The Council of Three Hammers.
The king's scouts had discovered that Zandalari trolls threatened the dwarven capital.
Surely, the king htough, if he hleped them with their troll problem, they would give him more troops for his campaight against the Horde.
But what the king did not realize is that the dwarves did not trust one another!
"We cannot help you," said the Bronzebear dwarf, "For if we turn our back on the Dark Irons, they will defeat the Wildhammer and take over Ironforge!"
"We cannot help you," said the Wildhammer dwarf, "For if we turn our back on the Dark Irons, they will defeat the Bronzebeard and take over Ironforge!"
The king was furious. "If none of you help, then Ironforge will fall under siege!"
Only one dwarf offered to help the King. "We will lend you our strength," said Moira, of the Dark Iron. "We will trust our dwarven brothers, and we will show them what loyalty means!"
And so Moira and the High King set out into the snow to save the city, leaving the others to think about their actions.
What happens next? I must know!

After you get done with that one, and get the quest for the Dark Heart, you get the next storytelling setup, which concludes the story of the first one and then sets up the second one briefly.
The High King, his champions, and the Dark iron dwarves worked together to save Ironforge.
The other dwarven leaders were ashamed of their behavior, and vowed never again to allow fear or distrust to cloud their judgment.
And so it was a human king who hleped to unite the dwarven clans so long divided.

And then some more stuff, along the lines of. At Garrosh's command, Goblins have been digging up all around Pandaria, and they've now found a buried part of and old god here in the vale! No wonder Pandaria is haunted!

Comments: Dwarf Council Politics
The iron/bronze/wildhammer conflict has been one of the few internal strife things the alliance has had. Aside from the short story on Blizzes website re the internal tensions of that, there's the player experience of Moira standing by (i.e. fully assisting) her husband, the dark iron king as he consorted with emisaries from twilights hammer and then fought the players party.

That internal strife is now (according to Cho) resolved simply by her leaving town and helping Varian in a battle.

... I don't know enough of the lore of the dwarves to address that myself, but it seems like its worth a topic by itself.

Comments: Dark Heart Notes
* From what Cho says, it seems the encounter is happening right now (or perhaps more reasonably) has just happened. You would think that the ally character at least would head off to confront the Kor'kron and keep them from proceeding, or at least do some sort of follow up at the dig. But no, that's the end.

Comments: Storyflow:
Since Cho's setups are voiceacted with typical Cho Lorewalker story stage props, its clear that they are not just a PTR patchup to get player testers to try both scenarios. Instead, its is fully intended to put players from both factions, through the starting scenarios for both factions. Both factions are supposed to see: 1) Varian the uniter/the power of unity. and 2) Garrosh is getting his hands on something that is bad bad news and care at all for anyone except the orcs who are on his side.

Edits:
* Heart/Corpse? (per Somniac below): What you see is like a blackish cloud in what looks like a containment field. You cant' target it, but if you walk over/through it, you take damage from the "Heart of Y'Shaarj". Perhaps there is more involved. Other than the encounter, there's a door which appears to lead further into the Titan complex. At the end, its guarded by a titan construct, with a couple of Kor'kron Elites facing it.
* Logic note on Dark Heart added.
Edited by Wreave on 4/10/2013 9:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Hole in the Vale:

There's a large (but not deep) surface dig and a mine leading off it. These are visitable in the regular zone, and they also form the scene for the scenario. The digsite is marked by large horde markings and is populated by goblin workers. The workers are friendly to Horde, and oddly to Alliance as well. I.e. not only can Horde not fight them, but Ally cannot either.

As has been noted, there is a scene in which Taran Zu approaches Dezco and says that the dig is outrageous, etc. and that the Horde should leave. But then backs off and lets them stay. I.e. the Dezco gets treated to a finger wagging and nothing more.

Other than the Taran Zu/Dezco scene, I could not find a single NPC in the Vale who responded to the dig in any way.
* Not the Golden Lotus folks standing the pagoda literally a stones throw away.
* Not the night elves sentinels in the ally shrine who are supposed to be acting as guards.

Dezco has some Tauren guards with him. As we stood looking over the vale and the site of the dig site, I found their dialog ironic:

We were drawn here by visions of this place. But even the visions pale in comparison to the Vale's beauty.

The Alliance followed us here. Even in this serene place, I smell war on the wind.

There's two ways to divide the Eastern end of the Vale:
1) a line from the Golden Pagoda to Mogushan. S is Ally, N is Horde. With this division, the dig is on the Ally side of the Vale.
2) a line extending straight out from the Mogushan Palace along the "pier" that extends out from it. SE is Ally, NW is Horde. With this division, the dig is centered on the dividing line being equally on Horde and Ally land.
If you make the division based on entering the eastern end through the pagoda (which is the way most players first see the eastern end), then division 1 seems most natural. However, if you look at the eastern end on the map and look for the most symmetric division, then division 2 seems most natural.

Edits:
* Added note on location.
Edited by Wreave on 4/10/2013 9:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
WARNING: SPOILERS
Again, the whole thread is going to contain some substantial spoilers. I'm largely limiting myself to lore thats relevant to Ally vs. Horde tensions, but this still obviously covers a lot crucial stuff in the expansion.

Darkspear Revolutionary Title - Now Instigator Title - Now 'the Hordebreaker'
Updated 4/18: Ally title is now "the Hordebreaker".

Update 4/12: Ally get the title "Instigator" now, rather than "Darkspear Revolutionary", as per Kosak's twitter post...

Different titles will be available to Alliance and Horde via 5.3 - I think on PTR they're both getting same title. We'll fix!

https://twitter.com/DaveKosak/status/322079982719496192

Meeting Vol'jin (Horde):
Horde are sent to meat Vol'jin pretty quickly. When you go to him, he has optional dialogs:
* What happened to you in Pandaria?
* Does Garrosh know you're alive?
* Why are you fighting against our own Warchief?

Pyro has posted screenshots of the optional dialog (not sure if he did the original screenshots himself):
http://gyazo.com/f4715d44151af4fa40e5964c2d5309d8.png?1365545145

http://gyazo.com/a9be5e6d4b92243dff56847f3ebdd48c.png?1365545324

http://gyazo.com/25a9f3a7da40f237164c2051801c4578.png?1365545201

http://gyazo.com/4825d61b3adeb293954ff446c9b1aca3.png?1365545272

And Orcs who oppose Garrosh!

http://gyazo.com/0873b003d30cd89fe713ee124cd76a18.png?1365546775

Vol'jin and Baine (Horde)
After the battle of Razor Hill, you report to Vol'jin, and Baine Bloodhoof runs up...
Baine: Vol'jin - you're alive! It is true then - an open rebellion against the Warchief.
Vol'jin: Baine. We be needin' ya support. Razor hill be but an outpost - the walls of Orgrimmar be fortified since da Cataclysm.
Baine: I must tred carefully. Many of my people are still within Orgrimmar.
Vol'jin: Lor'themar be ready to strike once he finish wt da Isle of Thunder, and da Banshee Queen need no excuse, but they both across da sea. Without ya strength, we can't breech the city. I need tauren arms.
Baine: We are preparing. I jst need time to ensure the safety of my people. But Vol'jin...
Vol'jin: Hmm?
Baine: Garrosh has turned Orgrimmar into a fortress. You may need to seek out allies... beyond the Horde.
Vol'jin jabs his spear into the ground saying nothing.

This was a pretty short questline. I would presume there's more ahead in later releases of the PTR. Completing this bit earns the title "Darkspear Revolutionary."

Vol'jin (Ally)
Some of this is posted elsewhere, but for now I just have the text I extracted myself. Its long, so its in a separate post:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8569388716?page=3#44

Emperor (Horde & Ally)
There's a quest where you get to hear Shaohao speak about pride...
Shaohao: Pride. It is the most insidious of sha. It is good until it is bad. And then it is more dangerous than all the others combined.
Shaohao: Beware of Pride! Be humble! The world is plunging into chaos. Old enemies must work together. Proud races must admit they need help.
Shaohao: Things are going to get worse before they get better. Only by working together can we covercome the darkness.
Shaohao: All that stand in our way... is pride.

Misc:
* Horde: Northern Barrens is a Contested Territory zone, rather than its usual Horde status. Allies don't see a Contested Terriotory zone marker, probably because Allies already get flagged there on PvP servers.
* Razor Hill Watchtower is a (pretty small) Sanctuary. (This is where Vol'jin is standing after the battle of Razor Hill.)
* Vol'jin been pumpin some iron mon! Definitely looking beefier/more tribal.

Edits:
* Added meeting Vol'jin notes.
* Added Vol'jin, Baine, Emperor.
* Added link to Vol'jin Ally post.
* Ally title is now 'the Hordebreaker' [4/18]
Edited by Wreave on 4/18/2013 6:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
The Tauren guards dialog hasnt changed from 5.0
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Garrosh's Kor'kron Guards have Y'shaarj's "corpse".
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
As has been noted, there is a scene in which Taran Zu approaches Dezco and says that the dig is outrageous, etc. and that the Horde should leave. But then backs off and lets them stay. I.e. the Dezco gets treated to a finger wagging and nothing more.
He doesn't back off-he gives them an ultimatum and a deadline. That's not "just a finger wagging."
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
it is finger wagging i dont see the horde gone from the vale.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage

They get a deadline. They have a limited time before they get kicked.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Because if they were going to make the Horde "Gone" from the vale, it would have been a purging.

I know this may be hard to grasp, but there is a game side to the story that must be satisfied as well, and having an entire horde capital-esque hub up and vanish just isn't on their to-do list.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
04/10/2013 06:10 PMPosted by Shmala
Because if they were going to make the Horde "Gone" from the vale, it would have been a purging.

I know this may be hard to grasp, but there is a game side to the story that must be satisfied as well, and having an entire horde capital-esque hub up and vanish just isn't on their to-do list.

Also truthfully I seriously doubt the Pandaren military could do anything against the Horde, And funnily enough it seems the Alliance is hunky dorry with the Horde digging up the ground RIGHT NEXT TO THEIR BASE which leads me to believe that the goblins at the dig site must've made a deal with the Alliance to give them some of the raw materials/treasure they find, I mean why else would the Alliance DO NOTHING WHEN A GIANT HORDE MINING CAMP IS DUG RIGHT NEXT TO THEIR CAPITAL BUILDING IN PANDARIA?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior

what you're asking is the equivalent of kicking a faction out of shat or dalaran during their appropriate expansions

sure, they could devote time to create some other large settlement with portals, vendors, and whatnot.

But then the same people would be complaining, saying it didn't mean anything because they just got a replacement city right after
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Also truthfully I seriously doubt the Pandaren military could do anything against the Horde, And funnily enough it seems the Alliance is hunky dorry with the Horde digging up the ground RIGHT NEXT TO THEIR BASE which leads me to believe that the goblins at the dig site must've made a deal with the Alliance to give them some of the raw materials/treasure they find, I mean why else would the Alliance DO NOTHING WHEN A GIANT HORDE MINING CAMP IS DUG RIGHT NEXT TO THEIR CAPITAL BUILDING IN PANDARIA?

Gee, I wonder why the Alliance wouldn't do the logical thing to something in game....

Oh, right!

LolMetzen!
Edited by Arkturas on 4/10/2013 6:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Gee, I wonder why the Alliance wouldn't do the logical thing to something in game....

Oh, right!

LolMetzen!

you do realize some party actually stopping the dig would be better for the horde right?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
In an effort to keep my posts "just the facts" (in this topic), I'll try to avoid comments like "finger wagging" here in the future. Although... [bites tongue]. [Ouch]
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
04/10/2013 06:20 PMPosted by Arkturas

Oh, right!

LolMetzen!

Keep the snark to yourself.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
you do realize some party actually stopping the dig would be better for the horde right?

Probably not. After all, getting stopped as they started wouldn't really anger the Pandaren any less than the mostly complete dig.

The Horde would have been evicted in either case.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Probably not. After all, getting stopped as they started wouldn't really anger the Pandaren any less than the mostly complete dig.

"as they started" is still digging

I'm talking about not digging at all

"so uh, what are you doing with all these building supplies and heavy machinery"
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
You act as if the Horde is any better in this capacity.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

"as they started" is still digging

I'm talking about not digging at all

"so uh, what are you doing with all these building supplies and heavy machinery"

Yeah I'm just curious why the Alliance just seemed to do nothing about this. I think it's cool the Horde did it they're asserting the painting the land red, but the Alliance supposedly supposed to protect pandaria from the Horde doesn't seem to care while the Pandaren do care.

I mean why would the Alliance allow this without any fuss? I haven't seen any text/comments/dialogue showing Alliance outrage or even indifference or support about the dig site.

Maybe we forgot we're at War?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]