Fix Blink - Glyph of Blink to Location

100 Goblin Mage
04/26/2013 06:11 AMPosted by Xeu
So does this mean they should give hunters the exact same glyph for disengage?

With all due respect...

This first sentence actually made me believe you were asking a legitimate question. Then I read the rest of the post and realized you were probably just trolling.

In the interest of actually covering my bases, however, I'm going to respond intelligently.

To begin: Said first sentence/question. I'm not familiar with disengage as it is now, but last I checked (which, mind you, was roughly two expansions ago), it applied a knockback on the hunter which sent him flying backwards at a speed significantly faster than 100% run speed at a slight (10 degrees or so?) upward angle. This usually ended up in the hunter being able to "kind of" blink by turning around and using it, but if faced with terrain at a greater angle than the jump angle, it did nothing.

With all that said, yes, disengage faces a similar issue to blink. However, the terrain weirdness that causes issues between the two abilities is distinctly different; IE, there is some terrain you can blink over but not disengage over, and there is some terrain you can disengage over but not blink over. Additionally, the two spells are fundamentally different; blink just determines a location and immediately sets your location to that location, whereas disengage simply sends you backward and slightly up. Blink's movement is instantaneous, while disengage's is not.

I see no reason not to "fix" disengage, however I do not see a way to. While it would be possible to target a location and calculate how to knock the hunter back in order to reach that location, such a calculation would rely on nothing blocking the flight between here and there. I do not know if checking to see if such an obstruction exists or not is possible with WoW's engine.

Again, Blink is fundamentally different. The proposed glyph would let you pick a nearby location and, assuming it's in line of sight and can be stood on, simply put you at that spot. Nothing can really screw with this process. The fact that disengage doesn't teleport you creates issues that I simply don't know how to solve.

Again, all of this is based on the assumption that disengage has not changed since the last time I played a hunter, which was Wrath.

Just ridiculous you can't learn to you a spell that's been broken like this for YEARS!

*ahem* Didn't I say I pretty much HAD learned it? That's not the point. The point is; Blink is a teleport, and it's frequently not functioning as one. Another point is: The check Blink makes to determine where to put you is, frankly, dated and unreliable, which needs to be fixed.

Or maybe they should make it so we we can't cast down from ledges on melee I mean they can't hit us from that position because of the "horrible" terrain!

Last I checked, all classes have some sort of ability that deals damage at range.

Still, I haven't PvP'd in ages, and seeing as how this is a PvP-based statement, I'll make no further comment.

This could turn into a never ending QQ theses of why people think there abilities are broken or why the terrain is unfair.

It's not QQ. It's "please fix what is broken". If you wish to argue that it's not broken, maybe you'd have a point, but I believe that two quotes ago, you explicitly said that it was.

Next why don't they give Shammys a glyph that lets them click a spot to use thunderstorm then you will !@#$% about there OP KNOCK BACK on eye of the storm.

Uh...no?

Blink is a self-movement spell. Thunderstorm is a mass-damage-and-knockback spell. The difference is massive, hence why I did not petition for the latter.

Although, again, I'm not a PvP'er.

PLEASE just delete this post and come up with something that doesn't make you sound bad because you can't play/ understand your class and abilities thanks that is all!

I only sound bad to you because I'm asking for something that would help me.

Also, you're by far the most skilled person in the universe at everything that is, was, and will be. </sarcasm>

Should I link you to Wikipedia's page on the Dunning-Kruger effect?
Edited by Manabender on 4/28/2013 8:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
I think they want to avoid giving a "shadow step-like" ability that doesn't require a target.

Could use it to blink to places we aren't meant to access.

Heroic leap functions in exactly the same way that this glyph is proposed to do.

If you try to leap somewhere you're not supposed to, you simply get an error message.

no, heroic leap doesn't act in the manner the OP is suggesting, it's just a different way to charge, and uses the same pathing as charge. That is the reason you get error messages when you try to wall hop.

What the op is suggesting is a teleport to location type thing.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Mage

Heroic leap functions in exactly the same way that this glyph is proposed to do.

If you try to leap somewhere you're not supposed to, you simply get an error message.

no, heroic leap doesn't act in the manner the OP is suggesting, it's just a different way to charge, and uses the same pathing as charge. That is the reason you get error messages when you try to wall hop.

What the op is suggesting is a teleport to location type thing.

Actually....It kind of is.

I mean, granted, I have no warrior, and I don't know exactly how Heroic Leap functions, but using the same pathing as Charge is perfectly acceptable. It's still way more flexible than Blink's current check, and returns an error that cancels casting, as opposed to putting the spell on cooldown without moving you anywhere.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I can't remember the last time I blinked and it didn't go the full distance I wanted it to go...

Not saying it doesn't happen it just sounds like people could improve the mechanics themselves.

Go que for silvershard mines and try to blink in the middle you'll enjoy the 1/10th of a yard you go forward

Thank you so much for saying that. Was thinking the exact same thing.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Mage
Bump for a fix to the forever-broken spell!
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warrior
Heroic leap Fails more.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Sounds like the way Diablo 2 mages teleported around - sounds fun. :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]