Nobody Enjoys The Paladin Inquisition!

90 Night Elf Death Knight
04/20/2013 04:10 PMPosted by Cayse
You need to not compare the damage your abilities do on a DK with a 502 weapon to a very poorly geared ret paladin with a 476, no enchants, and no reforges...

Again, missing the point, it's not about damage. My paladin is less geared because I play him less because he's less fun, not the other way around. If my paladin were more fun, I'd want to play him more, get more gear, bother with the little things, and ultimately do more damage. i don't care about damage, and I don't think Ret is hard, at all, no matter how much some of you seem to want to paint the argument that way. It's just not fun. If I did 10k or 200k it would be no more or less fun to me.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
04/20/2013 04:24 PMPosted by Isialai
It's just not fun.

Fun is subjective, hugely so. If it's not fun to you then don't play it.

Here's a key flaw in your thread topic. I think Inquisition is fun. I like the mechanic, when I hear that little sound effect go off and see the animation it gives me satisfaction.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I would just like for Inq to be off the GCD, really.
Reply Quote
The reason you think Inq is unfun is because it's not a source of instant gratification. Unlike TV or other similar strikes, you don't see big numbers when you hit Inq. Inq is the reason you can't faceroll damage anymore and that upsets many players who enjoyed the chaotic carelessness of ret. That is not what the spec is about anymore.

Again, I never played Ret before 5.2 so I really have no frame of reference for what you're saying. Regardless, what you're describing is not at all what I think about Inquisition, which I think you would understand if you bothered to read and comprehend the OP. Don't pigeonhole me into whatever narrow conception you have of mindless facerollers who hate pressing a button that doesn't result in 6 yellow numbers. I don't dislike Inquisition because I don't understand it. I dislike it because I do understand it.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
04/20/2013 04:24 PMPosted by Isialai
Again, missing the point, it's not about damage. My paladin is less geared because I play him less because he's less fun, not the other way around.

If you bothered to learn to play your ret and put actual effort into it, it would, *gasp* be more fun.

Not to blatantly armory troll but it's very obvious that you haven't, and while I realize that coming from a frost DK where you actually can get away with that, most other specs in the game actually require you to put some effort in. There really are no other specs that give the same instant easy gratification that a DK does.

Your points are also really inconsistent. You say you don't care about damage, then say inquisition should do damage (this is also known as instant gratification), and complain that TV doesn't do enough damage (which again is 100% a gear issue).
Edited by Cayse on 4/20/2013 4:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
OP you're missing a ton of stuff on your DK, I picture your ret in half greens and caster epics trying to dps down a boss while clicking all your spells, and this is why you think the class is bad
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
It's not quite that bad.. but they're 477 with a few blues and a green trinket, have under 7% haste, and again, no reforges or enchants.

The 7% haste is what is really going to make ret not fun.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I think Inquisition is fun. I like the mechanic, when I hear that little sound effect go off and see the animation it gives me satisfaction.

And yet, when I see that timer go down in a fight, I get annoyed because I have to waste my holy power on maintaining a buff instead of using it for more important things, like damage or healing. Not exactly fun or particularly satisfying to me. But I guess your opinion on what's fun for this spec is far more important than my opinion on what's fun for this spec, as most of you Inq defenders have made it so positively clear.

Oh, and drop this "you guys just want pally to be face roll" crap. If that were true, people who complain about Inq would be complaining about our sustained or burst damage not being OP instead.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Oh, and drop this "you guys just want pally to be face roll" crap. If that were true, people who complain about Inq would be complaining about our sustained or burst damage not being OP instead.

But people who complain about Inq often do complain about Ret's damage, too. Hell, the simple act of complaining about Inq is, in and of itself, a complaint about Ret's damage. Because it basically boils down to "QQ, a throttle mechanic - why can't I just do the deeps?"
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
04/20/2013 07:33 PMPosted by Toolate
And yet, when I see that timer go down in a fight, I get annoyed because I have to waste my holy power on maintaining a buff instead of using it for more important things, like damage or healing.

When did free 10% crit and 30% extra damage become not important things to damage, or healing(the crit)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I remember when they first changed the TV animation. The idea had been around for a while, but then when it finally happened, everyone was so.. disappointed lol. I wish they would bring back the old animation honestly.

People don't like the pirouette?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Frost dk talking about ret being boring. pls go
Reply Quote
15 Worgen Druid
You should, but you don't need to because your ret is in your post history.

You need to not compare the damage your abilities do on a DK with a 502 weapon to a very poorly geared ret paladin with a 476, no enchants, and no reforges... or use LFR as any kind of basis for an argument. Nobody cares about who does what in LFR.

Basically every spec has something they have to maintain. Are your diseases fun? Is flame shock fun?

The existence of other bad mechanics doesn't make this one any less bad.
Edited by Stockbroker on 4/20/2013 9:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
To be honest, I'm not a fan of the mechanic either. I understand why Blizzard added it in. Prior to Inquisition's addition ret could mash buttons haphazardly and do nearly as much damage as a ret paladin who was optimally mashing buttons, so to add some "skill" to the spec Blizzard introduced Inquisition.

The reason Inquisition doesn't feel fun to me is that it is a maintenance ability. Paladin's do normal damage when Inquisition is up and do less damage when it's not up. As opposed to cool downs (like Avenging Wrath) where we do more damage when it's up and normal damage when it's down. The ability doesn't feel rewarding when it's used. It only feels punishing when it's not used.
Edited by Osolot on 4/20/2013 10:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
I don't know what this guy is talking about. Ret is !@#$ing fun as hell. Plus we have one of the best animations in this game.

Sure Inq can be a pain in the %^-, but I rather have that extra damage then sit there and hit like a chump. It's one of those necessary evils.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
@OP: Do you even glyph?
Reply Quote

Fun is subjective, hugely so. If it's not fun to you then don't play it.

Here's a key flaw in your thread topic. I think Inquisition is fun. I like the mechanic, when I hear that little sound effect go off and see the animation it gives me satisfaction.

You're totally right. I'm only saying I don't find it fun from my personal perspective, and trying to explain why. I'm glad you're satisfied with it. I think there's a lot of room for improvement.

I don't know why people want to make this thread about me. I was hoping for more discussion about ways to make Ret more fun to play. My paladin is primarily prot. I'm just kind of tired of tanking, honestly. I've been tanking since Vanilla, and I just don't feel like it right now, but all my world boss/bonus roll/rep gear still goes to my prot set. I get how to play Ret. I get the stat weights and I get the rotation/priority. It's not complicated. It's foolish to say I don't think it's fun because I don't know how to play, or because I'm not happy with my damage.

I know how to play, and I'm happy with my damage output. None of that has anything to do with my enjoyment of the game mechanics. I mentioned TV not doing enough damage. That's different than overall damage, and only one of a few factors I mentioned. Let me give an example:

Let's say I do an exo for 50k, judgment for 50k + weaken, CS for 50k, and then TV for 80k.... That's not as interesting as say, exo for 30k, judge for 30k, CS for 40k, and then TV for 130k + weaken. Same overall damage, just a different distribution. But again, that's just a small factor in bigger discussion about making Ret more fun.

I get Inquisition. I just don't like how it works. I don't think it's a fun mechanic. I get how it contributes to damage. I just don't find "press this button once every 30 sec to keep your damage where it should be" to be compelling gameplay. And it makes me not want to volunteer for fun things like Ji Kun (sp?) nest team. That's where it becomes a bigger problem. What I enjoy personally about WoW is fight mechanics more so than class mechanics.

As for my other characters, I primarily play a frost dk and a resto/ele shaman. I play my frost dk a lot now primarily because I'm starting to get into blood soloing. I actually think my resto shaman is the most fun and engaging character I have right now.
Reply Quote
@OP: Do you even glyph?

Too busy lifting, brah.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]