Int users with Unerring Vision of Lei-Shen

I did some testing for this trinket after winning it from an extra roll

However, its proc chance is really low for example: these test were done on raid dummies

Test #1: (about 4 mins) over the course of 4 mins. This trinket only proced twice for me (yes im keeping up my dots all the time as a fire mage)

Test #2: (about 3 mins) over this test, the trinket only proced twice again

Test #3: (another 4 min) over this test, the trinket proced twice again. it proced in the beginning when I was setting up dots, so its effectiveness in the beginning was close to none

Overall: I know its proc chance is low, but to have it proc only twice over a course of 3 or 4 mins when it has no ICD. Is this trinket bugged or something? 4 secs for its duration is not very long either. (2 procs = 8 secs overall)

I rather use volatile talisman of the shado-pan assault over Unerring Vision of Lei-Shen considering I would get 4 or 5 procs over the course of 3 mins to 4 mins

(assuming 5 procs = 50secs overall)
Edited by Junm on 4/4/2013 3:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
It sounds like Unerring Vision of Lei-Shen procs about once every 2 minutes

4 seconds (duration) / 120 seconds (how long it takes to proc) = .033
If 1% crit is equal to 600 crit, then it provides a maximum of 60,000 crit
.033 * 60,000 = 2000 crit

Basically, the proc is worth up to 2000 static crit

However, realistically, this is worth LESS than that amount of crit, because you will have higher than 0% crit

Assuming the average raider has 25% crit buffed, this trinket is really only worth 75% crit, or 45,000 crit
.033 * 45,000 = 1500 static crit

The Shado-Pan trinket has an ICD of 45s and duration of 10s, with 8800 haste
(10 seconds / 45 seconds) * 8800 = 1955 haste

Anyway, the point I'm making is that the stats on this trinket may be slightly under-budgeted compared to the other trinket, but not by too much. As your gear gets better, the worse the proc from Unerring becomes for you.

I'd also like to point out that this is good for Boomkins for Starsurge procs and Shadow Priests for Shadow Apparitions procs.
Edited by Jessaurus on 4/4/2013 5:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Unerring Vision's proc rate is very low because for some specs the proc is very, very good. Shadow, Balance, and Demonology I know are standouts; I'm not sure if any others are also interested. That's because any dots applied during the proc will have 100% crit rate for their duration (minus the spriest bandage but that's not worth discussing here).

It's a very bad trinket for nuke-based casters like mages, because they're literally only getting a couple extra crits out of the proc every couple minutes.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
04/04/2013 05:26 AMPosted by Jessaurus
Assuming the average raider has 25% crit buffed, this trinket is really only worth 75% crit, or 45,000 crit

Some specs, like Destro, can benefit from >100% crit.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
yeah the unerring vision of lei shen is nice...but when it comes down to it, 4 seconds isn't enough to do anything with (I haven't gotten the trinket, just a speculation).

I would rather just use the Breath of the Hyrda, I love trinkets that proc off dots.

EDIT: Herp derp i forgot if dots are reapplied during this they have 100% crit for the whole duration
Edited by Calderath on 4/4/2013 9:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
This trinket was nerfed for balance druids rather hard just before the patch came out. It is still, as I had come to the conclusion on the PTR, a ranking trinket (assuming good RNG). For general reasons breath of the hydra and cha-ye's are likely to be more consistent damage.
Reply Quote
It sounds like from the overall responses so far that this trinket is really under budgeted for its ilvl.

Not sure if its ICD is 2 mins when this trinket should have 0 ICD

How often is it procing from a Warlock's POV, Druid's POV, Priest POV and etc?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I adore this trinket. When it procs, I reapply my dots and watch a river of apparitions flow to the target. My dots have ended up with 40 seconds remaining on really lucky runs. It's freaking awesome.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Extremely strong trinket for some (locks, spriests), rather weak for others.

Demo for example gets crazy damage from 100% crit dooms, and refreshing aff dots to max length via pandemic would be pretty stellar as well. Trinket + 2p for shadow is just dirty.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Has anyone tested yet how this trinket interacts with abilities such as Soul Fire and Chaos bolt that auto-crit but do increased damage based on your crit chance? Do they cap out at +100% damage for 100% crit or can they actually go over 100%?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
That trinket has no business being equipped by anybody but shadow priests and warlocks.

It is utterly useless for mages and to some extent boomkins.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
That trinket has no business being equipped by anybody but shadow priests and warlocks.

It is utterly useless for mages and to some extent boomkins.

The ppm was nerfed for chickens, but how do you figure it is useless? Decent rng= ZOMG MOAR STARSURGE
Reply Quote
If any warlock or priest would like to do some test and lay out how often it procs over a minute or two that would provide some clear evidence that this trinket is not made for mages and druids in particular

Right now it seems like the trinket has a ICD of 2 mins when it should have 0 ICD
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
If any warlock or priest would like to do some test and lay out how often it procs over a minute or two that would provide some clear evidence that this trinket is not made for mages and druids in particular

Right now it seems like the trinket has a ICD of 2 mins when it should have 0 ICD

But, it's rng based. On Jin'rokh on Tuesday, I had about a 5% uptime on the trinket. On Heroic Tortos, 4%. On Horridon, 6%. It's not really easy to tell where the percentage will end up. But the proc is incredibly powerful, and that makes up for a lot.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
The proc is really powerful but is hard for many specs/classes to take advantage of. Its great for demo since you can pop off 100% crit dooms where each tick (a crit) generates an imp. Thus more DF generation, more meta uptime, etc.

Its not as strong for destro simply because 4 sec to get off a 3 sec chaosbolt is pushing it since its most likely to proc mid cast of something else. Seen some theorycraft suggesting its better off to fel flame or immolate/RoF the proc.

Aff can get a wave of 100% crit dots but every sim I've run suggests it does better w' hydra and wushoolay's. Also with the rhetoric from GC about SB:SS I'm not sure that will even be possible come 5.3 for affliction.

In any case whomever uses it should have a weakaura or something to very clearly let them know its up so they can take advantage of it. If you just kinda plug away the proc can go to very poor use and the trinket is thus far less effective. One thing that simC doesn't reflect is higher haste helps you "fish" for more ppm procs.

Overall I'm not a huge fan of PPM trinkets due to bad RNG but then again I"m the guy who never rolls higher than 20, went 2x expansions without seeing caster trinkets drop in a 10m, will have non conq people gearing their 2nd offspec heroic before seeing even one full set of conq, and so far my coins have earned me gold since normal elegon. Got to wonder, if they have the tech to improve your luck on rolls (eg for dry spells in terms of 5.3), they certainly have the tech to **** on it. Then again I know a mage who got 2pc from sha on 3x toons in 2 weeks, a heroic thunderforged staff off horridon from his coin, etc.
Reply Quote
I'm just guessing here, but doing horridon on heroic mode would take 12 mins maybe? if its up time is 6% over the course of the fight that would mean 12mins * 60 secs = 720 secs

720 secs * 6% (or .06) = 43.2 secs rounding to 44secs for a whole number

with 44 secs up time would mean it proced 11 times for you over 12 mins

On average thats 0.9166667 procs per min which isn't that bad for a priest and I would assume similar results for a warlock

So, its clear to say that it doesn't benefit druids or mages from the overall responses so far. Unless they increase the proc chance for druids and mages. I don't this trinket been used at all by druids or mages

Edited, since my first time around my #'s were wrong
Edited by Junm on 4/4/2013 3:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
The ppm was nerfed for chickens, but how do you figure it is useless? Decent rng= ZOMG MOAR STARSURGE

It's effectively a 3min cooldown. You're not guaranteed Starsruge procs, albeit you will get a lot. Those SS casts are not guaranteed to crit, albeit some will. These SS crits will extend 100% crit DOTs, but for reasons already stated, it's not guaranteed. Theoretically speaking, you can have all crits and still get 0 SS procs. You basically deal ~50% more DOT damage for that duration of DOTs, but nothing else is extraordinary. Now factor in encounter mechanics. What if it procs during the Maze on Durumu? How about Tidal Force on Twin Consorts? How about just as quake Stomp goes out? If it procs on those...well so much for that amazing proc.

It may be more burst in the window given, but it's not that great. I'm getting more procs from other trinkets, which means encounter mechanics won't screw me over. Only my opinion, but I honestly hate the fact this trinket ruins my spellcasting (everything is carefully timed, OMG PROC DOT DOT DOT DOT...it's not palying with the proc, it's just mindlessly DOTing everything to get the most out of the thing...)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
04/04/2013 03:43 PMPosted by Cyous

It's effectively a 3min cooldown. You're not guaranteed Starsruge procs, albeit you will get a lot. Those SS casts are not guaranteed to crit, albeit some will. These SS crits will extend 100% crit DOTs, but for reasons already stated, it's not guaranteed. Theoretically speaking, you can have all crits and still get 0 SS procs. You basically deal ~50% more DOT damage for that duration of DOTs, but nothing else is extraordinary. Now factor in encounter mechanics. What if it procs during the Maze on Durumu? How about Tidal Force on Twin Consorts? How about just as quake Stomp goes out? If it procs on those...well so much for that amazing proc.

It may be more burst in the window given, but it's not that great. I'm getting more procs from other trinkets, which means encounter mechanics won't screw me over. Only my opinion, but I honestly hate the fact this trinket ruins my spellcasting (everything is carefully timed, OMG PROC DOT DOT DOT DOT...it's not palying with the proc, it's just mindlessly DOTing everything to get the most out of the thing...)

Fair points. I had a proc shortly before Downdraft on Ji-Kuhn and went into the draft with high 30 seconds on my dots. I was left with the conundrum: do I spam pain and halve my dot duration, or flay, body and soul up, blast, rocket boost up. I elected the latter, but I am not sure if it was the right choice. THere are certainly some interesting positions it puts me in that I have never dealt with before.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
04/04/2013 06:12 AMPosted by Methalos

Curious, can you realistically cast a Chaos Bolt in time?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
04/04/2013 04:38 PMPosted by Jadefang

Curious, can you realistically cast a Chaos Bolt in time?

3 second cast w/o backdraft, and the proc lasts 4 seconds.

Under the absolute best circumstances, you can get 2 off during the proc if your cast is just about to finish as it procs, and you get 1 more CB off.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]