PvP Etiquette?

37 Draenei Priest
Hi,

Just wondering if there is any.

Do you automatically attack the opposition while questing, or do you leave them alone if they leave you alone?

I was questing through Jade Forest last night, and encountered a couple of Horde. They just carried on with their questing, and I carried on with mine. But then I got to Pang's Stead in VFW and was jumped by a couple of Horde, while I was just gathering a quest.

Was I wrong to just leave the Horde alone in JF? Should I just have attacked them on sight? Any etiquette on this server that I should know about?

Cheers.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
In my opinion, it's a personal choice whether or not to attack someone from the opposing faction. Being on a PvP server, getting jumped is always a possibility no matter where you are or what you're doing. While leveling from 85-90 I found myself helping the Alliance at times and some helped me. I got jumped a few times too but that's what the games about. The rivalry between the 2 sides is what keeps the server going.

I should also mention though that some guilds do have a "attack on site" list of players.
Sometimes I feel like I'm on that list. Must be my devilish wink.

*Edit*
I also admit that if I see another Shadow priest, I want to test myself appropriately so I'll /challenge them before I go nuts on their eyeballs.
Edited by Siaradora on 4/5/2013 10:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
If enemy is walking, wait for acknowledgement.
If enemy is roleplaying, wait for acknowledgement.
If enemy emotes disrespectfully, attack.
If enemy is questing, personal choice.
If enemy is in rival guild, attack.
If enemy is known griefer, attack.
If enemy attacks, attack.
If enemy is low level, personal choice.

Never camp, never complain.
Reply Quote
37 Draenei Priest
Thanks. That's a really good summary.

Everyone now be aware. When any -Brit is out and about in the World, they are Roeleplaying :)

Cheers.
Edited by Shadowbrit on 4/5/2013 11:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
If it's red, it's dead.

Unless I have a drink in my hand.

Or a sandwich.

Or, if Dak's in the bathroom.

So, yea, not so much.

In my next life I'm going to be srs pvp rawr.
Reply Quote
Red is dead, unless you're clearly RPing and I would be interrupting an event or something. If you're attacking a mob/collecting a node I'll let you finish, but no way you're getting away without a fight.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
I've gotten my fair share of lumps questing, but that's life (and death) on a pvp server.

I can't say I have ever initiated an attack outside of Mulgore, as Aovi is more defense than offense. A live-and-let-live Shu'Halo, yet always ready to answer the call should trouble arise somewhere.

Besides, it is hard to keep oats in the field if you are always off fighting.

Xandru summed it up nice and neat.

My personal pvp protocol is leave 'em alone, avoid conflict. Should they attack, do my best and move along. We are at war, after all.

Hit me several times or follow me about, I will call for help, and lots of it. That's why we are called The Herd.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
Xandru and Utum said it best. We have an image to uphold here and we have to let people know that the horde is honorable but also ready for a fite at any time. Personally, i try to bring this outside of isle of thunder if possible (that place gets boring real fast with wpvp after 10 minutes).
I myself hate camping even if he's the biggest troll in the server. I don't want to be "that guy". Still, if someone is in my party doing just that and i ain't leading, I'll just turn a blind eye grumbling... or pretend i am "sick".
If one of my buddies is getting camped, however, you can bet your butt i'll swing by and protect him however i can! After killing once or a few times, i always try to make sure the red target runs away from us to hear me cry "FEAR THE GRIN!" at a distance. Seeing an alliance run away from my clan's RP warcry is always satisfaction to me, even if he's a rogue trying to recuperate.
But still, like i told you in a previous post brit, if i did offend you with any killings any time as of late, all i can say is I'm sorry:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDqatJPvOfk
Reply Quote
37 Draenei Priest
No problem with you Rodeurdesboi. In fact, I enjoyed hanging out with you in Dalaran :) In fact, I have no problem with any names I recognize from the forums. It's just some other random Horde toons. In fact, I'm too busy trying to see what their names are and guilds are instead of fighting back :)

I'm ready to get back out in the fight, and I'll probably be more aggressive, next time I see a Hordie.

Cheers.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Hey, Brit! Saw all these posts from the Horde and thought it only be right if an alli responded as well! :)

For me, there are very few who exist on my personal KoS list. I won't lie there are instances where I will attack and try to bring glory to the great Alliance! However, if you do so just remember that there is a real person behind that character, and although you may be at war with the opposing faction just try to be polite and not go too far. Camping and spitting is just not cool in my opinion.

However, if you are so inclined I see no issue when leveling if you want to kill a Hordie, BUT if you want to go the other way and help a horde player who may have pulled too many and can use a hand; that is a really cool thing to do also. Sometimes the latter can be a great way of opening the door and making some friends that you normally wouldn't have interacted with.

Bottom line: Play how you will, just don't be a chump about it. You don't make friends on either side by being 'the mean camper' . It's a game, we may seek the other's head while playing... But, lets still try to make it fun for everyone.

Oh.... And if you find yourself in a bind ever, don't be afraid to whisper other Alliance. There are a lot of great people who will come to your aid. :)

EDIT: Insanely bad errors. I don't suggest posting via cell phone.
Edited by Rydelle on 4/5/2013 10:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
even if he's a rogue trying to recuperate.
:D I'm always still in the area, and usually circling you guys when I do this, myself. Just don't always get a good opening.

I have rather strict rules on myself for PvP purposes, though I am willing to bend them/break them for certain people and/or situations.

I rarely jump Horde if they are on a rare/quest mob, but if it's someone or a guild I know that would potentially jump me, either from past experience with said player or guild, if I were on a rare/quest mob, I will attack without a second thought and try my best to swipe the kill.

I rarely camp, though I definitely make some exceptions here. If someone tries to camp one of my alts, especially when they are leveling, I'll be sure to return the favor, and have had a lot of fun taking it into the double digits. >.>

If I see a person AFK, short of them being in an area they'd die in anyways (Hostile mobs roaming about), I'll leave them be. I might start up on them, but if I can tell they are AFK, I'll stop. No fun in fighting someone not there. :)

If I see people RPing, I'll do my best to leave them alone. However, some... Situations just draw out the Rogue in me, if you will. Some of the Dreadhorde raids, for instance, when they finish up and start walking out, I will pick a target and do my best to kill that target before I myself die and/or have to run.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Priest
Hi,

Just wondering if there is any.

Do you automatically attack the opposition while questing, or do you leave them alone if they leave you alone?

I was questing through Jade Forest last night, and encountered a couple of Horde. They just carried on with their questing, and I carried on with mine. But then I got to Pang's Stead in VFW and was jumped by a couple of Horde, while I was just gathering a quest.

Was I wrong to just leave the Horde alone in JF? Should I just have attacked them on sight? Any etiquette on this server that I should know about?

Cheers.

With guild? Be on best behavior.
Alone? Mess people up.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Hunter
Personally, unless I know you, I don't attack. If I know you I just jump you once (just tos ay hi, you understand). PERSONALLY (only personally), I think it's rude to gank. Unless you are just out in the world for the specific purpose WPVP and you are trying to get something started.

Mostly, though, if I'm ganked, cool, if I'm camped, I log out and go to another toon.
Reply Quote
37 Draenei Priest
On my 86 Shaman, I attacked an equal Mage in VFW. After a few Ice-Blocks, I got him down. However, I didn't camp or anything, just carried on my way. Then he came back and absolutely destroyed me. Haven't attacked anyone since :)

It seems that everyone plays pretty nicely at Halfhill. No attacking or anything. Nice to see, and I won't attack anyone first anymore.

Cheers.
Reply Quote
I've found that we're all pretty good about non-camping/griefing...

I've had the usual jumped while questing...I personally don't, unless it's happened to me and I'm feeling ornery after...but after I take my lumps and get beat once or twice, or do the beating, the attacker usually moves on and doesn't make a habit of constant death...which for me is how I like it. Honorable combat on a PvP server.

Every now and again there's trouble...the kill the robot PvP quest on Thunder Isle comes to mind...but that's also to be expected. It's PvP and Blizz put it there for us to do our thing...I find if the the Horde is just TOO protective of their pink robot that day, I just go do something else, and come back about an hour or two later and all's well...

Short attention spans, you know.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Warrior
Agreed. Basically it's at a kind of be respectable about it sort of business. People understand we're on a PvP server, so attacking is certainly within our rights, just don't be 'that guy' or 'girl' (I would know, I think the women actually outnumber the men in my guild now RL wise).

So have fun, but not at the expense of making it no fun for someone else. Past that, your choice.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
The other night, I was doing my Isle of Thunder dailies and a passed a Grin that we had sparred with the night before. I was having a bit of trouble in my second spec and I'm not geared for dps. It was late and I really just wanted to get them done and go to sleep.
Instead of slaughtering me, he just /wave and let me be.
It's those things that I really appreciate.
Of course, two seconds later, another horde from a guild I've never heard of didn't have the same compassion but meh. I'm on a PvP server. It's not built for days when I just want to do my thing and not PvP.

As for low levels, it's my personal preference not to kill the little guys. I'm not gaining anything out of it, and generally, no low level will want to attack you so I just let them be.

As for etiquette? I don't /rude /e <instert something disgusting that they can't even read> Because why? You can't let yourself get so fired up about a game people are trying to enjoy. You take it as what it is. It's a part of the game. Everyone is just trying to have fun. :3
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
Instead of slaughtering me, he just /wave and let me be.

Who was it, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
If enemy is walking, wait for acknowledgement.
If enemy is roleplaying, wait for acknowledgement.
If enemy emotes disrespectfully, attack.
If enemy is questing, personal choice.
If enemy is in rival guild, attack.
If enemy is known griefer, attack.
If enemy attacks, attack.
If enemy is low level, personal choice.

Never camp, never complain.

I will personally attack Alliance no matter the threat to my own life. Lizardrat does not have time to avoid putting his daggers in your backs. Only exceptions are if RP exchanges. If Lizardrat threatens you and you do not wish to perish, cower before me.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Who was it, if you don't mind me asking?

I feel terrible because I can't remember the name of him/her! I wanted to thank them but I was half asleep, haha.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]