Which fights is zen sphere useful?

90 Pandaren Monk
Just curious I almost exclusively use chi burst.This is 10m btw.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Wouldn't this be more usefully posted in the monk forum? I don't see how any other class is going to have anything much to say about this (other than ask a monk), unless they happen to have a monk alt.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Just curious I almost exclusively use chi burst.This is 10m btw.

I haven't found one yet, tbh. :-\
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Wouldn't this be more usefully posted in the monk forum? I don't see how any other class is going to have anything much to say about this (other than ask a monk), unless they happen to have a monk alt.

Healing questions are always welcome here. Please don't discourage people from asking genuine questions.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
I haven't really found one. I tried ZS on Tortos once and it wasn't so bad, but in terms of throughput, I'm sure effectively used Chi Bursts would be better, which is what I typically use.
I haven't really found any fight this tier where I'd want to use something other than Chi Burst, but it's possible I'm missing something.

The monk forums are seriously awful. So no.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

its a question on healing, and most of us play more than one healer. just because we post on only one doesnt mean we dont have others if not all.

please dont tell those with real questions to go away focus on getting rid of trolls.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Personally, after trying to force myself to apply it well, I just don't see any useful applications of Zen Sphere unless we get a buff to the healing, for Mistweavers anyways. I would think that it'd be more of a tank talent, though, as its scaling is insane; if I recall correctly, it will tick for more than Renewing Mist at 28k SP or so.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
There is none and hasn't been (from a MW perspective) since the detonation hot-fix nerf about 3 weeks after release. The raw numbers are pretty clear that both other options will give you better throughput when properly used (although both have their issues).
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I don't see them usefull at my self. I tried them out and and better luck with chi burst/wave. Since 5.2 I have switched to chi wave over burst. Shorter CD, so able to use it more often.

Maybe in a 25man they would be more usefull, but i don't see the need for them in a 10man.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
A friend of mine uses it to make things pretty. It's sad but you can heal and heal well without ANY tier 30 talent. They're just gcd dumps.
Reply Quote
I use it exclusively (although admittedly I've never raided normal/heroic before):

• That sphere animation over that tank's head makes him easier for me to see (I used to put a star icon over his head, but it always gets removed for some reason).

• Chi wave acts too much like a beach ball. I need my heals/attacks to be instant, not whenever the ball can get there.

• Chi burst is GREAT,..... if I'm in the right place at the right time. I can see it being useful in raids, where everyone communicates with each other. But in PUG dungeons, where noone talks, it's got too much of a positional requirement for it to be worth my while.

• Easier to keep track of. When it detonates, seeing a mass of green/yellow numbers is a pretty obvious sign it needs to be refreshed. Less so with the other 2 (To be fair, I have a WeakAura that displays a message on-screen/plays a sound when they're ready to go again, but if I'm looking at a different part of the screen/listening to something else at the time I won't notice it immediately).
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
So, I guess Zen Sphere is a lot more consistent than the other two. The travel time of Chi Wave diminishes the overall usefulness of the heal as a bursty mini-cooldown, and Chi Burst's situational usefulness hurts its own heal as well. It still feels so underwhelming as a heal though.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Chi Burst isn't really situational, at least in a raid. It doesn't require communication, either. You can pick a ranged or melee to chi burst, or set up indicators on your raid frames to show ideal targets (which is what I've done).

For 5-mans I use chi wave though.

Anyway the vast majority of the time, Chi Burst is better, and it can often be used on CD during a raid encounter. It does a great chunk of healing too, and works as a nice mini-cd that can easily be lined up with things like Megaera Rampage or Tortos Stomp.

I'd definitely say Zen Sphere is more situational since the detonation range is rather small; it requires the raid to be somewhat stacked. And if they're stacked, Chi Burst is even easier to use.

I've tried all 3 talents when we first started working on Ji-kun normal, because I'd often not have good Chi Burst targets due to how spread the raid was. However, using Chi Burst when I did have indicators for good targets (even though it was spaced out longer than 30 seconds) still did more healing than Zen Sphere or Chi Wave. (Though this may have been slightly before the chi wave hot fix to fix bouncing, I'm not entirely sure.)
Edited by Swaggle on 4/8/2013 4:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]