Blu-ray vs DVDs

90 Blood Elf Hunter
What are your opinions?

Personally I like DVDs since (I know it may sound weird) but BRs look too "real" for me, it's so clear that it throws me off a little and it's just not for me in general.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
dvds normally but if it's a movie I actually liked a lot then blu ray
Reply Quote
40 Undead Mage
Both
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
blu rays
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
For me, there's no question. Blu Ray for now, and as the new technologies come along, I'll adopt them too.

I can understand how personal taste may factor in, I suppose. It's like the "analog vs. digital" debate when it comes to mastering audio; one is clearly more advanced technology but people prefer the "warmth" of the classic setup. Ditto for filming on digital vs. film.

But here you have two identically delivered mediums, and you only need to compare the video data mathematically to prove which one is superior quality. It's not like vinyl vs. CD, where you had differences in the medium as well as the data.

So fair enough, you just might prefer the lower quality. All good.

But there's still the fact that when you play a standard DVD on an HDTV... well, it looks like crap. You either have to watch the video letterboxed and windowboxed to keep the correct aspect ratio, or you have to let the set stretch and zoom the image to fit the screen. Neither are desirable options in the least.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
blu-ray is superior

if it feels too 'real' to you when you watch it, you're not watching them enough

once you become accustomed to the superior quality you can watch normal DVDs and laugh at yourself for ever preferring them over BDs
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I don't like BR simply because you have to deal with sony's proprietary bull!@#$. Yes they're better quality but it's just not worth it to me to have slightly higher quality.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I don't like BR simply because you have to deal with sony's proprietary bull!@#$. Yes they're better quality but it's just not worth it to me to have slightly higher quality.

To be fair, they're not "slightly higher quality"; it's a huge jump in quality from standard DVD to BR. If you ever have the opportunity to compare the same film on standard and BR, side by side, do it.

Keep in mind that I am talking about the difference between standard DVD and BR on an HDTV. If you're watching them on a standard definition set, then sure, the difference may appear minor.

But if you're watching them on an HD set, the difference is night and day. As I mentioned, if you let the standard DVD display in it's native resolution (always the best choice for highest quality in any display setup) on an HD set, you're going to get a letterboxed and windowboxed image, i.e. you're going to have black bars on the top, bottom, right and left of the image. Your only other option is to let the set upscale the image, stretching it and zooming it to fill the screen, which degrades the quality even further.

With a BR disc on an HD set, not only are you getting a nice 1080p picture versus the 480p of a standard DVD, but it fits the aspect ratio of the TV properly in it's native resolution.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Blu Ray for sure but I don't go out of my way to replace my DVDs with BR versions unless it's a very visual movie (Matrix, LotR, etc).

The one thing that pisses me off about it is the distribution companies selling BR + DVD + digital copies packaged together for $30 with no option to just buy the BR by itself.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
04/10/2013 01:22 PMPosted by Breakbeat

To be fair, they're not "slightly higher quality"; it's a huge jump in quality from standard DVD to BR. If you ever have the opportunity to compare the same film on standard and BR, side by side, do it.

Keep in mind that I am talking about the difference between standard DVD and BR on an HDTV. If you're watching them on a standard definition set, then sure, the difference may appear minor.

But if you're watching them on an HD set, the difference is night and day. As I mentioned, if you let the standard DVD display in it's native resolution (always the best choice for highest quality in any display setup) on an HD set, you're going to get a letterboxed and windowboxed image, i.e. you're going to have black bars on the top, bottom, right and left of the image. Your only other option is to let the set upscale the image, stretching it and zooming it to fill the screen, which degrades the quality even further.

With a BR disc on an HD set, not only are you getting a nice 1080p picture versus the 480p of a standard DVD, but it fits the aspect ratio of the TV properly in it's native resolution.

For sure, but having to deal with sony's BS is just inconvenient. And this wouldn't be the first time a lesser quality format beat out a technically better format due to convenience.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
Maybe it's just me but some blu-ray movies, like Avengers, have really bad sound balancing. Hard to hear people talk but I can hear some grease monkey drop a bolt 5 decks down and on the !@# end of the helicarrier like he was standing right next to me.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
04/10/2013 07:59 PMPosted by Ziryus
For sure, but having to deal with sony's BS is just inconvenient.

What BS are you talking about ? I play my Blu Ray disc's in my PS3 & haven't had any hassel's. Sure, there the odd d/l for the PS3 but you always get those.

And this wouldn't be the first time a lesser quality format beat out a technically better format due to convenience.

Do you mean when VHS won over Sony's Beta Max ?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
honestly the difference in quality I just don't find significant enough to justify blu-ray over DVD just yet.

That said I've been getting more of the combo BluRay/DVD packs lately,
Reply Quote
78 Pandaren Monk
blu ray for sure and I'll be upgrading media until there's an 8k format or I die. The reason for 8k resolution is it's the approximate digital equivalent of 70mm film and some of my favorite movies such as Patton, Lawrence of Arabia and 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Also for people saying blu ray looks too real your issue may be that that your lcd/led has some sort of feature turned on which causes a soap opera effect (just google for basic explanation). Turning all special video processing off will give your blu ray movies a more film like quality vs. a more lifelike quality. Also make sure your tv has at least some basic video calibration or if you have a higher quality HDTV and can afford it professional calibration.

Most people have their sharpness and brightness set way to high as well as having it in a picture mode that's meant for retail sales floor display and not the home so calibration will go a long way to getting you hdtv looking as good as it can and how it should, especially when watching blu ray movies.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
DVD's for me.
I did find a good deal for a Blu Ray DVD/CD combo drive going for $50. I''ll might buy one this summer for the HTPC when everyone is home most often and watching movies.
Currently don't want to put in $200+ for some silly over priced stand alone player. Plus it means more remotes which I'm trying to avoid by having just a 'part time' dedicated tablet which does most of those functions.
Edited by Nevintsha on 4/14/2013 9:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
I dislike blue ray for this 1 reason...

I was gonna get hellsing ultimate on DVD...but episodes 4-8 were FREAKING BLUE RAY!! I mean WTF!! why make episodes 1-4 on reg dvd then the rest on freaking blue ray!?! Bah...
Reply Quote
Either; usually I'll buy any new movies as Blu-Rays, and with older movies (at least before Blu-Ray existed or became popular), I'll stick with DvD.
Reply Quote
I have a blue-ray player that plays both. So whatever I grab first is what comes home with me. Unless the Blue Ray has something special that I want over the DVD.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]