Just Curious about Healer DPS

90 Blood Elf Priest
04/11/2013 08:55 AMPosted by Mieme
Maybe I just have the rotation wrong as holy, but I always feel like my disc spec does almost as much damage as holy and the healing from atonement makes things even easier.

It's not a particularly hard rotation. You lay in SW:P, Holy Fire, Smite and SW:D near the end. Against 3+ targets, you use Mind Sear.

Against a single target, Discipline can hit about 60% of Holy's dps. Against multiple targets, Holy completely leaves Discipline in the dust since Discipline doesn't have any worthwhile multitarget attacks.

Bear in mind that Holy does 50% more damage with every spell that Discipline has except Penance - and Penance isn't as good as Holy's SW:P/SW:D (for damage purposes).

You also have to recognize that Holy tends to gear for higher dps (Discipline doesn't invest in haste).

Lastly, Chastise makes the difference on rare elite fights. There are numerous fights that Discipline cannot win at any gear level since it lacks an interrupt, but that Holy can win with ease.
Edited by Medeyn on 4/11/2013 9:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I don't have any issues doing dailies as disc, either. Penance does a decent amount of damage and I'm pretty much invincible.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Doing dailies as a resto drood isn't so bad for me. Just take mobs on one at a time, cycle through popping rejuv and moonfire before switching back to kitty form and shredding before continuing to mangle. Combo points I use back and forth between maim and ferocious bite, so the stunning of maim doesn't invoke the diminishing returns. Switching between forms makes things less boring, and if you accidentally grab too many mobs, you can spam swipes or switch to bear. It does take significantly longer as resto, but everything should take longer. Mostly, now that I've got a full set of gear for guardian, I do dailies as my bear, grabbing all the mobs I can and vengencing them to death. Much quicker.
As for the Disc thing, I've never had a problem with doing dailies on my Disc priest. The 4pc set bonus for reduced cooldown on penance is a game changer, though. I basically just penance, smite, smite, repeat. Pop a mindbender when applicable, and that's a rather quick kill when I use it. Never having to stop to heal or gather mana makes things quick enough that I don't bother switching to spriest spec unless I'm running with my brother (who is a MW Monk and does retardedly good dps and healing).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
This is almost certainly related to gear. Discipline literally does half the damage of Holy or Shadow, has no significant AE damage and no interrupts. Trying to solo anything remotely challenging as Discipline is... painful... if you've used the other two specs to any great extent.

I second this. As a fresh 90 disc felt pretty weak. However, now?

I find questing as disc almost boringly easy for the most part. Between atonement heals, void tendrils to root, and mindbender, it's almost embarrassingly easy to do dailies, albeit... definitely not exactly stimulating.

The only issues, and they're not major, is things like the groups of ancestors that won't pull worth a damn, cast through the same walls that give us LoS errors, and we have no aoe or interrupts. However, getting a gravedigger to throw down his blue rune of happiness for 100% crit, stand in it, and I can pretty close to 1-shot them with smite.

Heck, I can even take and solo the warscouts (though it's slow having to root and kite the spirit), it's just very, very tedious. The main weakness for soloing as disc is the sheer lack of a viable interrupt. It makes soloing the panda class rares (monks) impossible, as their heals give them a full health bar.

By contrast, my holy pally does about 1/2-2/3 the dps at a similar gear level. And some of the potential dps has to go to heals.

I haven't even tried questing as resto on my shammy... *shudder*
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Well, I got rid of my dps spec this tier so I can use both healing specs in raid, got me worried, but sometimes my penance do 500k in 3 ticks.

Plus, as opposed to shadow, I can pull 10 mobs and never take damage or barely. Reminds me when I used to quest as protection paladin lol.

So with gear, really not an issue for disc priests.

Annoying part is AOE, mind sear hits like a wet noodle.
Edited by Macphisto on 4/11/2013 1:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
"How do resto shamans do dailies?"

We don't.

We go elemental for that. xD

Yeppers. There's no way in hell I'd be out there trying to lightening bolt things to death in my Resto spec.

Well, until I find my second agility weapon - then I can go back to Enhance and drop the whole 'caster in melee range' thing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I guess since disc gets atonement that also means that they get dps that scales with gear. Not only is holy pally dps, even glyphed, incredibly low-- it just never gets any better no matter what gear you have.

Personally I think it's just dumb that most healer dps is so low. I know the perception is that healers should just get an offspec and shut up about it cause that's what we've always done but it annoys me that the gear we earn by healing doesn't help us do dailies faster.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
In reference to dailies.

My 90 MW obviously does some great DPS
My 90 Holy Priest has a DPS CHaktra
Swap a couple Glyphs and my Holy Paladin can lay out pretty good DPS

My Disc Priest takes FOREVER to kill anything

How does Resto Druid and Shaman hold up in comparison to the 3 I mentioned above?

We don't. We use a different spec. We're forced to.

I smell a nice troll thread though, goodjob pointing out the healer imbalance in regards to dps.

Which wasn't my intention at all. I've got a 90 MW, Holy Paladin, Holy Priest. I like to do my dailies/leveling as a Healer cause too many stinking times I have gotten a dungeon queue while I'm out doing dailies/leveling and before I can say "WAIT LET ME RESPEC" The tank is off pulling and then I get blamed for the deaths.

I would prefer not to Dual Spec just to do stuff. Tanks don't HAVE to dual spec. DPS Doesn't HAVE to duel spec and they both do dailies without any significant hindrance. Same with my 3 Healers I have now. MW is built in. Holy priest I hit one button and within a blink of an eye I can heal great. My Holy Paladin isn't gimped much at all with DPS Glyphs

I didn't notice any bonuses to doing damage on the other 2 Healers. Which seems to me would mean they kill slowly, hence why I was asking in the first place. Not everything in the forums is a Troll tyvm
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

We don't. We use a different spec. We're forced to.

I smell a nice troll thread though, goodjob pointing out the healer imbalance in regards to dps.

Which wasn't my intention at all. I've got a 90 MW, Holy Paladin, Holy Priest. I like to do my dailies/leveling as a Healer cause too many stinking times I have gotten a dungeon queue while I'm out doing dailies/leveling and before I can say "WAIT LET ME RESPEC" The tank is off pulling and then I get blamed for the deaths.

I would prefer not to Dual Spec just to do stuff. Tanks don't HAVE to dual spec. DPS Doesn't HAVE to duel spec and they both do dailies without any significant hindrance. Same with my 3 Healers I have now. MW is built in. Holy priest I hit one button and within a blink of an eye I can heal great. My Holy Paladin isn't gimped much at all with DPS Glyphs

I didn't notice any bonuses to doing damage on the other 2 Healers. Which seems to me would mean they kill slowly, hence why I was asking in the first place. Not everything in the forums is a Troll tyvm

Play a resto druid......

It's painfully slow. HOTW helps....for 45seconds, then 6minutes of a bunch of nothing. There is absolutely no point in doing dailies as a resto druid, unless you daily with guildies/friends. Otherwise, if you do dailies in resto spec alone...You're braindead. You'd have to be.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
04/11/2013 07:54 AMPosted by Medeyn
I have no trouble doing my dailies as Disc. Things die very fast.

This is almost certainly related to gear. Discipline literally does half the damage of Holy or Shadow, has no significant AE damage and no interrupts. Trying to solo anything remotely challenging as Discipline is... painful... if you've used the other two specs to any great extent.

I can solo mobs on the isle of giants as disc. I farm harmony there to sell my spell threads. killing mobs with millions of hp is rather easy. The mobs i can root i just root and penance down. Its rare i take any damage. Even when i do i have no fear of dying.

Some of the larger mobs with 13 million plus are kinda iffy and not always kills. Dinomancers can also be a issue with no way to interrupt mending. But killing things is rather simple.

It is true it may take a moment or two longer. But with PI and a jade pot i can pump around 90k while both are active.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]