How much spirit are people stacking?

(Locked)

90 Night Elf Priest
04/12/2013 06:54 AMPosted by Stratis
I've made due with as low as 5-6k, but I feel most comfortable with 9-10k. I feel like 11-13 would be more than I knew what to do with.

Even after the rapture nerf I still feel that disc is spoiled.

We are. I wish I could be holy. I love it way more but I can't even function on less than 9k spirit as holy.

Very sad.
90 Draenei Shaman
OP - Let me ask you something. Druids have exceptionally nice mastery, allowing them to heal for more, both on their direct heals and HoTs. So why allow your spirit to be so high and your mastery to be low? Larger heals means you spend less mana healing that target, which also helps when things go sideways more then having a lot of spirit would.

There is definitely some truth to "spirit until comfortable" because we all heal different kinds of groups. A healer with a very aware group who uses cd's regularly will feel okay with much lower spirit then a healer of the same class healing through a group with much less awareness needing more spot healing. More spirit can also be a good thing to have on progression fights.

At the same time it's also good to look at our stats from time to time and question why we have them the way we do. Healers are different then tanks and DPS, we can't always just look at an accomplished healer of the same class and follow what their doing. What works for one healer doesn't always work for another because we have to deal with different situations and may need things like spirit to be higher or lower. That doesn't mean however that there aren't more unified goals for stats for each class that are ideal to reach or that spirit is so important it trumps other stats.
90 Pandaren Priest
I have just over 11k. I swap between spirit and int flask depending on the fights though.
I have just over 11k. I swap between spirit and int flask depending on the fights though.

Same. I would like a bit more... maybe 12-13k total. I know some people can get away with less, but even my dps know me having a bit extra makes their chance of survival increase as they aren't always the most speedy getting out of the bad. :)
90 Undead Priest
Currently Holy, 3 healing most fights. 10m. (we 2-heal horridon and primordius).

Sitting at 11,500 with two int/regen trinkets.

With liberal use of cooldowns, it's more than enough for the content we're doing.
90 Blood Elf Monk
5300 since mana tea and horridon trinket are broken.
Edited by Kungfuwaifu on 4/12/2013 8:17 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Priest
OP - Let me ask you something. Druids have exceptionally nice mastery, allowing them to heal for more, both on their direct heals and HoTs. So why allow your spirit to be so high and your mastery to be low? Larger heals means you spend less mana healing that target, which also helps when things go sideways more then having a lot of spirit would.

There is definitely some truth to "spirit until comfortable" because we all heal different kinds of groups. A healer with a very aware group who uses cd's regularly will feel okay with much lower spirit then a healer of the same class healing through a group with much less awareness needing more spot healing. More spirit can also be a good thing to have on progression fights.

At the same time it's also good to look at our stats from time to time and question why we have them the way we do. Healers are different then tanks and DPS, we can't always just look at an accomplished healer of the same class and follow what their doing. What works for one healer doesn't always work for another because we have to deal with different situations and may need things like spirit to be higher or lower. That doesn't mean however that there aren't more unified goals for stats for each class that are ideal to reach or that spirit is so important it trumps other stats.

The short answer to this, for me at least: Sure, gemming and gearing for more mastery/int is more "free" throughput (unlike haste, with the exception of HoT breakpoints), but I find that for most fights spirit is still better. Most of the time I really don't need my renew to tick 1k harder, or my GHeal to heal 5k more. And when heavy healing is needed, I can still use mana-inefficient but high HPS spells, which my extra spirit will help me recover from. On most difficult and progression fights, at least in my experience, I'm more likely to keep everyone alive but completely OOM myself rather than to have people die because I literally had no way of casting enough heals or using CDs better.

That said, to participate in the purpose of the thread, I'm sitting at 13k spirit when I flask. Both of my trinkets were spirit/mana procs up until we finally killed Lei Shen last night, so I have effectively lost something like 1k spirit from the lost proc since I got the trinket off of him. I'm also a tailor with the spirit proc cloak enchant.
90 Draenei Shaman
12,258 and climbing.

I don't need it myself; stacking Spirit enables my co-healers to drop Spirit via Mana Tide Totem, and 2 healers' increased throughput is greater than the througput I'd gain by gearing for my own throughput.

Then, since my own heals aren't as big as they'd otherwise be if I geared for throughput, I have enough mana to spam my expensive heals more than I would otherwise.

I draw my line at equipping Hydra Spawn, though. I think. idk, if it dropped, I might play around with it, but... I really don't wanna.
90 Human Priest
DO IT FOR THE GOOD OF YOUR FELLOW HEALERS.
90 Troll Shaman
I am sitting at 13k spirit, which seems more than enough for normals in our 3 heal comp of Disc, Holy Pal and Resto Sham.

Once we start heriocs next week, I will reevaluate.
Edited by Shaylana on 4/12/2013 12:08 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Priest
I use 9k spirit running ToT normal content. I suspect I will need more for heroic.

Edit: I use Int Flask/Int Food/Lightweave for most fights, but sometimes will put on spirit stuff for progression bosses.
Edited by Cassiel on 4/12/2013 12:20 PM PDT
90 Tauren Druid
To answer the OP's original question, I'm running right around 13k and for me it feels slightly more than necessary. I'm thinking about taking all of my straight blue gems and switching them to purples. My own personal opinion is to keep it somewhere in between 11 and 13k with the exact number being a function of 1) how much mana buffer you think you need for the spam healing moments and 2) the composition of your healing team. I run with 3 paladins and a disc priest in 25 man, so I'm struggling to get anything out that isn't mostly overhealing anyways outside of the large burst damage moments (think quake stomp on Tortos). So in that sense more mastery wouldn't help me a whole lot, but there could be arguments made for either.

I feel like anyone suggesting that there is some hard and fast number that EVERY resto druid should get doesn't really understand that optimizing a healer is really built around optimizing the player behind the healer to fit well within a healing group.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
what is it like to stack non regen stats

is it fun
90 Dwarf Shaman
I feel like this is class specific, but I go for as much as possible ;)

Until I recently changed a trinket, I was around 12k with a flask. This was a good amount for the content I'm at, but the funny thing with spirit is, the more you have the more heals you can dump and the more you can overcome mistakes when learning new content.

With that in mind, can you ever really have too much? It only becomes a problem when you're standing around at full mana with nothing to heal, which typically happens when you over gear the content.
90 Night Elf Priest
I feel like this is class specific, but I go for as much as possible ;)

Until I recently changed a trinket, I was around 12k with a flask. This was a good amount for the content I'm at, but the funny thing with spirit is, the more you have the more heals you can dump and the more you can overcome mistakes when learning new content.

With that in mind, can you ever really have too much? It only becomes a problem when you're standing around at full mana with nothing to heal, which typically happens when you over gear the content.

Absolutely. Spirit will be wasted very easily if you do not need it for throughput. How much you need on an individual basis is hard for anyone but you to determine due to the variables involved (ie: raid comp, choices of spells, strats, the stars that align for your trinks).

When you start chasing spirit, tunneling it even, you lose out on opportunities to improve other parts of your stat priority. Where you have 320 spirit gems, maybe you could have int-spirit? Or maybe you don't need to reforge out of mastery on that piece of gear.

At some "magical" point, completely determined by playstyle and the aforementioned variables, spirit becomes a diminishing return.

What that point is, however, is highly subjective. Progression will need a higher spirit point, simply for "oh crap" moments. Especially for me when I go holy. The holy priests love their spirirt, they can bring out some serious burst healing if they have the spirit to support it.

Edit: I see you're a shaman, so it's a bit different for you. But I wanted to elaborate on this for anyone who may be reading.
Edited by Naérdriel on 4/12/2013 1:12 PM PDT
90 Troll Druid
HC
I have 12.4k spirit, I think I will be at a comfortable spot once I replace this dumb trinket, but I also wouldn't mind keeping as much as I do. Mainly because we 2heal 3/5 heroic fights we have down atm, and need to be able to spam Rejuv (regrowth on tanks...) a bit harder than average =\
90 Troll Druid
I have 12.4k spirit, I think I will be at a comfortable spot once I replace this dumb trinket, but I also wouldn't mind keeping as much as I do. Mainly because we 2heal 3/5 heroic fights we have down atm, and need to be able to spam Rejuv (regrowth on tanks...) a bit harder than average =\

Hey Fleurs,

I just got Jin'ro down. How is Tortos heroic? We're planning on him and Ji-Kun next. My spirit is 10k and was hoping to replace that same trinket you mention for better regen going forward but I don't think I'll be switching out any gems in the meanwhile. I like having OP hots ticking more than having the ability to spam more. But this mentality might change it really depends on a number of factors.
90 Troll Druid
HC
04/12/2013 02:33 PMPosted by Moophious

Hey Fleurs,

I just got Jin'ro down. How is Tortos heroic? We're planning on him and Ji-Kun next. My spirit is 10k and was hoping to replace that same trinket you mention for better regen going forward but I don't think I'll be switching out any gems in the meanwhile. I like having OP hots ticking more than having the ability to spam more. But this mentality might change it really depends on a number of factors.

Depends, you 2 or 3healing? What comp?

And actually, wanna hop on my mumble? I can better explain there.

bex#1372
Edited by Fleurs on 4/12/2013 2:40 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I run 4.8k spirit and generally don't have mana issues.
90 Goblin Priest
I keep a minimum base 10k, which is what I'm comfortable with and don't have trouble with ooming as long as I use cds. For mana intensive fights, use spirit food/flasks, for dps intensive fights, int food/flask.

Not that I raid a whole lot. but personal preference, lol
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]