Is EF blanketing the only way?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Im having a lot of trouble with keeping up with our priest (switches between disc and holy) and the resto druid in our group on a lot of fights (10man ToT). The only reason I can think of why I am behind them is that I am not EF blanketing which is apparently the way to go in 10mans. I generally don't EF blanket because 1. I don't have T14 4piece and 2. I always hear mixed reviews on the actual effectiveness of it.

Heres a plethora of logs
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-3r3emo6he0oahz8h/ (primordius)
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-le1a6t05qyszkzi8/ (Im in all bosses up to Jikun)
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-j0hojzw87o6d1d17/ (full raid from week before)
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-6k83s6npowgk914z/dashboard/?s=5605&e=6043 (our durumu kill)

The only time I "sort of" EF blanket in these logs is when I get stupid divine purpose procs. Other than that I usually just keep EF up on the two tanks and either HR/LoD for damage patterns similar to Rampage on magaera or most of the primordius fight or I spot heal with DL/EF/HL when people are not grouped up for HR etc.

Maybe my impression of EF blanketing is wrong? What I count as EF blanketing is 3HP EFs on as much of the raid as possible as often as possible which is made possible through the T14 4piece and building HP through spamming beacon target with DL and using HS on cooldown. I've also heard of macroing glyphed beacon to DL so everytime you use it you generate a HP point (I generally keep it on w.e tank is tanking atm). Am I wrong with the 3 HP EFs only or should I be blanketing with 1HP EFs or maybe 2 HP. Since I lack a 4piece T14 bonus would taking Sanctified Wrath allow me to blanket and is it worth over DP?

Overall I understand Disc is OP on some fights but the fights where Hpals are logging and ranking so much higher than resto druids or disc I feel I should in fact be doing better on those fights than them considering our ilvls are rather equal (me and the resto druid) the disc priest is 13 points ahead of me. If the only way to push out the full potential of Hpals is to EF blanket then so be it but as you can see I might need some help pinpointing the exact style on how to do it and if I can do it without a 4piece T14. And if im doing something obviously wrong besides not "EF Blanketing" in my logs then please point it out.

The help will be much appreciated <3

P.S.- I have T14 4 piece in all LFR tier gear and I highly doubt that those 483s are worth replacing my current slots in gloves(502->496) Shoulders (489->483) Chest(504->483) if it is please let me know
Edited by Dordrey on 4/16/2013 11:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
T14 4P is being nerfed in a few weeks anyway, so you won't be behind for too long. It might be worth giving it a go on farm content anyway, just for fun.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
With the current tier I have available would it be considered a good trade to trade 700 spirit 200 spell power 1.5% mastery for the 4piece? I gain like .40% haste and .5% crit

(ill prob try out it in raid tomorrow I didn't think itd be such a small tradeoff)

Id still like some clarifications on how to EF blanket properly though
Edited by Dordrey on 4/16/2013 11:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I don't EF blanket personally, but from what I understand of it it's 1 HP EF's.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
You seem to lean a little more spirit than Mastery (blue gems vice green or yellow), which is great for longevity, but not for raw power. Those few % add up overthe course of a 5-10 min fight in total healing.

As for EF blanketing.. 3 HoPo on tanks (and yourself), 1 HoPo on everyone else, using DP procs to refresh Tanks/You. Let beacon transfer as much raw healing AND ABSORB SHIELDS continuity as long as possible.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
The Ef raw healing (the hot and initial burst) does travel through BoL but it does not stack Illuminated Healing on the tank through BoL. 3HP on tanks (you can do this pre-pull) then spread it around with 1 HP to the rest of the raid. EF does give the best returns of the 3 talents as far as ive been able to find
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
i am a little confused. I thought a 3hp ef and a 1hp ef put the same size hot on the target? If so, other than the initial heal and some mastery bubble, what is the point in using a 3hp ef on the tanks and yourself?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
i am a little confused. I thought a 3hp ef and a 1hp ef put the same size hot on the target? If so, other than the initial heal and some mastery bubble, what is the point in using a 3hp ef on the tanks and yourself?

Larger absorb shield
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
EF blanketing without the 4 piece is very clunky and lackluster. In addition, I hate the technique. Hate it with a passion. The idea of Eternal Flame beaconing is one of the stupidest heal strategies ever. You might as well put a sign on paladins that says "does not play well with others". If I wanted to do this I would've rolled a druid.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
larger absord shield from the inital heal not the hot right?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
With the T14 4pc being nerfed it's going to be a lot like Tiraslin said it will be without it, 4 seconds is right in that sweet spot to mesh so nicely with your casts, 5 seconds may as well be 6 seconds though, it's going to become a lot more clunky and awkward. Personally I dropped it and just got 522s that were itemized well. I just wished they'd throw T15 tier bonuses a buff along with the T14 nerf. As those remain pretty much useless.

Edit: 2pc could be good if the current buff in PTR to Daybreak stays in, 225% splash with 2pc at a 2 stack of Daybreak. 4pc is really more quality of life for your tanks as BoL already overheals a ton.
Edited by Kasan on 4/17/2013 2:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I thought a 3hp ef and a 1hp ef put the same size hot on the target? If so, other than the initial heal and some mastery bubble, what is the point in using a 3hp ef on the tanks and yourself?

The HoT from a 3 hp EF is 3 times larger than the HoT from a 1 hp EF.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ok so I found that 1 HP EF blanketing netted me like 15kish extra hps and much more mana efficiency (with the t14 set bonus) in lfr atleast which really doesn't matter much but its nice to test it there. Im going to try it tonight in my 10man see how it goes. Ty for the feedback though so far. Quick question though... Once I do decide to get rid of the t14 bonus will the 1 hp EF blanketing still be viable for 10mans? I figure that even with an extra 2 seconds on HS it should still be easy enough to keep EF on most of the raid as due to other holy power generating things like HR and DL (they should make holy prism generate HP bleh)
Edited by Dordrey on 4/17/2013 2:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
04/17/2013 02:46 PMPosted by Dordrey
Quick question though... Once I do decide to get rid of the t14 bonus will the 1 hp EF blanketing still be viable for 10mans? I figure that even with an extra 2 seconds on HS it should still be easy enough to keep EF on most of the raid as due to other holy power generating things like HR and DL

Yeah, I think it'll still be viable. The extra spirit you'll gain from higher item level gear should be enough to support replacing Holy Shock with other generators, as you mentioned.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I am having a problem with the Direhorn Spirits on heroic Horridon. Does anyone have any suggestions? Right now I am using focus macros for Judgment and Denounce, but the wasted GCD is literally what is killing our tanks in phase 2.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I am having a problem with the Direhorn Spirits on heroic Horridon. Does anyone have any suggestions? Right now I am using focus macros for Judgment and Denounce, but the wasted GCD is literally what is killing our tanks in phase 2.

I would switch Hand of Reckoning for Denounce, it's instant. Also, add in Holy Prism. As you enter the final phase, if you have a direhorn already, spam the direhorn to get as much distance as you can between you and it.
Edited by Glorÿ on 4/18/2013 6:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Why are you EF blanketing its dumb as !@#$ instead of focusing on EF blanketing focus on your task and do what you are given to do no need to ham meters your a Paladin your used for your various Utility spells IE. Keeping the tanks up you have Hand of Sacs, Hand of purity. And if your priest brags about how your not on top of healing meters laugh it off because he obviously doesnt understand how holy pallys work. Focus more on your utility role you can keep both tanks up if you played your class well giving your other healers something else to do.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Why are you EF blanketing its dumb as !@#$ instead of focusing on EF blanketing focus on your task and do what you are given to do no need to ham meters your a Paladin your used for your various Utility spells IE. Keeping the tanks up you have Hand of Sacs, Hand of purity. And if your priest brags about how your not on top of healing meters laugh it off because he obviously doesnt understand how holy pallys work. Focus more on your utility role you can keep both tanks up if you played your class well giving your other healers something else to do.

LOL, I have no words, other than, you play a shaman or druid don't you?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I do not have the 2pc CD reduction on Holy Shock, and I decided to start doing EF blanketing in my 10 man group and I think it's definitely the most effective way to heal. I used to be consistently behind my group's healers, but after the style switch, I'm consistently even or sometimes above the other healers.

Someone pretty much laid out how you do it already, but basically you just get 3 HP EF on tanks (and sometimes yourself because the HoT ticks x2 harder on yourself so it's essentially a 2nd 3 HP EF HoT on the beacon) and then 1 HP EF on as many people as you can.

I still don't like Divine Purpose even after the switch though. I think Holy Avenger is an incredible talent, and I don't know how I'd make it through a lot of fights without it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

He is right you know. performing your role as a tank healer and spot healing by saving up those 3-5 HP WoG is your strength as a holy paladin, wasting your GCDs and HP on 1 HP EF to blanket the raid when you have an aoe healer like a holy priest is pointless.

there is good fights for this strat but more often then not you will benefit the raid MUCH more by saving HP and IoL procs for insane burst healing potential.

if youre not doing as well as your holy priest without EF blanketing the you are doing something wrong.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]