Is EF blanketing the only way?

90 Human Paladin
I thought a 3hp ef and a 1hp ef put the same size hot on the target? If so, other than the initial heal and some mastery bubble, what is the point in using a 3hp ef on the tanks and yourself?

The HoT from a 3 hp EF is 3 times larger than the HoT from a 1 hp EF.

Incorrect...the ticks from EF are the same without regard to the HoPo used.
The initial heal is larger and thus the mastery shield is larger but ticks do not scale with Holy Power.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Um, what? You are far and away wrong, Blackbriar. Eternal Flame scales entirely linearly.

If I hit myself with a 1 point EF, I get healed for 28k and get a 6k HoT. Both apply Mastery.

If I hit myself with a 2 point EF, I get healed for 56k and get a 12k HoT. Both apply Mastery.

If I hit myself with a 3 point EF, I get healed for 74k and get an 18k HoT. Both apply Mastery.

(Bear in mind, the HoT numbers above are double normal because it was self-cast. On a fellow party member, the numbers would be 3k, 6k, and 9k ticks, respectively)

As far as using 3 point versus 1 point EF's, each have their own strong points.

Using 1 point EF's: Less overheal from the initial heal, the HoT, and the beacon transfer, as many small heals are easier to use than one large one. You are able to apply the HoT to more people, which means more people get the +30 second Illuminated Mastery renewal (since each HoT tick refreshes it). Less RNG on Divine Purpose (30 1-point EF's vs. 10 3-point EF's, as an example).

Using 3 point EF's: Fewer expended cooldowns. Able to store up Holy Power for emergencies (using 1 point EF's keeps you at 0 HP for most of the fight, except in predictable situations, but that's what Holy Avenger and other cooldowns are for if you choose this method).

Tada! If you had the time, yes, you should be using 1 point EF's as it's very mana efficient. However, it does take more time and puts a crimp in your throughput. Using 3 point EF's, you have more time to not only cast spells overall, but these additional spells could be things like Holy Radiance or Divine Light on Beacon for more HP which means more EF's over the course of the fight. It comes down to raid size, raid composition, your role in the raid, your playstyle, and your mana capacity as to which one would be better, and in truth it's more of a flavor thing than anything else. 3 point EF's means that you end up needing a bit more mana since you'll have more overheals, but you'll be more able to react to sudden damage. However, if you have other healers capable of handling that, such as priest with shielding, you can go the more efficient manner of 1 point EF's and turn the extra mana you're not spending into other secondary stats like Crit or even more Mastery.
Edited by Wards on 4/21/2013 5:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
EF the tank, and then EF yourself (it does 100% more healing on you, so it's the same HoT on the tank as if it was directly on him).

Forget about blanketing unless there is raid wide ticking aura damage. Meter padding does nobody any good.
Edited by Dekkar on 4/21/2013 11:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
You are completely right Wards.
I was wrong.
my apologies
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
EF the tank, and then EF yourself (it does 100% more healing on you, so it's the same HoT on the tank as if it was directly on him).

Forget about blanketing unless there is raid wide ticking aura damage. Meter padding does nobody any good.

See I can see where you're coming from however my straight healing done on almost any fight when EF blanketing skyrockets (on top of the shields being thrown out with ticks), my mana is way better with this also (I may switch to 2 HP EFs from 1 actually due to this), so even with accounting the overhealing I still do way more healing than if I just stuck to the LoD method with 2 EFs on tanks.
(Im also going to try out HA a little bit this week because apparently its amazing according to a top US 30 Hpal i was talking to for stacking 3HP EFs on entire raid during Heroic jin lightning storm or any other intense damage phase like a rampage or something and you can do it on the move on top of it).
Edited by Dordrey on 4/22/2013 4:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
You are completely right Wards.
I was wrong.
my apologies

Critical hits, divine purpose procs, and the recent change to double healing for self-cast Eternal Flame does make it difficult to find firm answers from testing, especially if you haven't played hours and hours and hours and Totally-Not-Doing-A-SlashPlayed numbers of hours of Healadin. Our spells are sneaky that way!

See, people think that paladins are all upfront and honest, especially tauren paladins. Nope! We just baked our deviousness into our spells! D:<

We throw out heals with HIDDEN SHIELDS!
We heal a raider AND BEACON HEALS A SECOND PERSON USING TRICKERY, SURPRISING EVERYONE!
We pretend to protect someone with Hand of Protection AND NOW THEY CAN'T ATTACK!

Mwahahaha!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]