Lore friendliness of race/class combos

Hello everyone,

A couple of friends (fellow lore nerds) and I were discussing the issue of the ever-increasing number of race/class combinations in the game a few days ago. Now, I have always been an increasingly out-spoken proponent of the idea that every race should definitely not be able to be every class and yet there seems to be a paradigm shift in the opposite direction with each passing expansion (we may even see undead paladins at this rate *cringe*). I am curious about what some of the rest of the lore-conscious community thinks about this.

Personally, I would have liked to see death knights to have been restricted to humans, undead, high (blood) elves, and dwarves in order to keep in accordance with the "fallen paladin" theme described in Warcraft 3. I'm also not sure if I like the idea of tauren paladins as the Sunwalkers seem to be more akin to shamans than holy knights IMO.

What do you all think? Are there any race/class combos that bother you or that you never hope to see? Are there any that you would like to see that have not been implemented yet? Why or why not?
Edited by Morzain on 4/17/2013 4:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Are there any race/class combos that bother you or that you never hope to see?

Draenei warlock
Undead druid
Orc druid
Goblin druid
Undead paladin
Orc paladin
Human shaman
Edited by Lena on 4/17/2013 4:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
You missed Dwarf Druid
Reply Quote
Orc paladins and human shamans... talk about coming full-circle were that to happen lol.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Well, I hated race/class restrictions in early D&D, and I still hate them in most games. Some people actually have bets on how long it'll be before Blizzard gets rid of them. I'm not holding my breath either way.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
You missed Dwarf Druid

NO! i need dwarf druids to be a thing!
Reply Quote
04/17/2013 04:54 PMPosted by Lena
Are there any race/class combos that bother you or that you never hope to see?

Draenei warlock
Undead druid
Orc druid
Goblin druid
Undead paladin
Orc paladin
Human shaman

This is a good list. I'd add NE warlocks. I'm still not totally sold on NE mages, in fact.

I'm going to go beyond that and say: no more new class combos for anybody. Period. What we have now is fine, and any further additions must come at the compromise of lore.
Edited by Sybhyl on 4/17/2013 5:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
This is a good list. I'd add NE warlocks. I'm still not totally sold on NE mages, in fact.

I'm going to go beyond that and say: no more new class combos for anybody. Period. What we have now is fine, and any further additions must come at the compromise of lore.

i think that gnome hunters should be a thing, it doesn't mess with lore, and it's fair.
Reply Quote
Gnome hunters are not awful but...no.

No more salami slices. We've made too many compromises already. No more retreats. Thus far and no further. Every addition made opens up demands for more combos.
Reply Quote
Gnome hunters are not awful but...no.

No more salami slices. We've made too many compromises already. No more retreats. Thus far and no further. Every addition made opens up demands for more combos.

That's a good point, although I would rather have had them give us gnome hunters than gnome warriors... I mean come on, a two-handed sword on a gnome is like a dagger to every other race lol.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
The more combinations the better I dont see any lore reasons why any race if determined to do so couldn't pick any class plus it can make a character more personalized
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
We need gnome druids it would be awesome to see a tiny gnome become a giant bear
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
Gnome hunters- yes. They could do it the same time they introduce tameable mechanical mobs.

Gnome druids- no. Unless they get the added racial of "snuggly bear", wherein their bear form becomes immune to damage as nothing in the universe can bring itself to hurt something so cute.
Reply Quote
The more combinations the better I dont see any lore reasons why any race if determined to do so couldn't pick any class plus it can make a character more personalized

Personally, the reason why I'm opposed to it is one of the biggest criticisms that I have with wow: inevitable mmo homogenization. Back in the day (BC, vanilla, Warcraft 3, etc...), the races each had their own strengths and weaknesses. Each brought different skills to their respective factions which gave them each a unique flavor in terms of their capabilities.

Nowadays, the races are starting to converge into a singular entity with the only difference between them being how they appear superficially. This sacrifice is likely being made in order to allow more customization in terms of player avatars. This, in my opinion, essentially ruins the uniqueness and feel that each of the races once had and detracts from the overall universe.
Edited by Morzain on 4/17/2013 9:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
No to:
Orc Druid
Orc Paladin
Undead Druid
Undead Paladin
BE Shaman
Tauren Mage
Dwarf Druid
Gnome Druid
Draenei Rogue
Draenei Warlock
Human Shaman
Human Druid
NE Shaman

was against:
BE Warrior
Gnome Warrior
Tauren Paladin

Is For:
BE Druid
Gnome Hunter
NE Paladin (Sentinel variant)
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Hunter
I want Draenei Rogue.

I've had m'boy Alk here since BC, and feel in love with the race and lore, but always told myself if I could roll a draenei rogue I'd do it so hard...!

You have no idea how happy Camoflauge made me. It's not full-on stealth, but it's close enough, and I can play around with the draenei stealth animation!

"But they can't with the hooves! You'll hear them coming!" You're confusing that with a shoed hoof (like you would hear on horses on asphalt streets). Draenei are not shoed, they have inner pads that provide traction and cloven hooves that can be spread apart as needed (think mountain goat). This makes them have a good grip in all manners of environment, and relatively silent when they walk.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
If you feel that it makes the game feel special I cant really argue with an opinion but I dont think you can really say it hurts lore
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I dont believe you need a crazy story to make up in stormwind and ogrimar the different racesnl7ve on top of one another and deities dont descriminate who worships them especially the light there are orc and tauren in the argent crusade there is no reason that they wouldnt revere the light
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
While I do like the race/class restrictions I can see why such things would decline. In some cases these combos, like that of the Tauren Paladin, may not make sense at first glance and only barely make sense once you learn the minute lore blizz put in to make them make any sense. Others I feel, like that of the Night Elf Mage, are examples of the lore's advancement and evolution.

It should be important to acknoledge that the lore of this setting isn't exactly written in stone, as evidenced by stuff like the pen and paper lore being declared non canon unless otherwise noted. In this, things like Death Knights of all races, and not just ones who have paladins, at least have potential to be viable if the lore makes sense for it. While we can cringe at the thought of a combo we may not entirely understand the story behind or just plain reject, it's hardly our choice.
Edited by Rosyllyn on 4/18/2013 5:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
there are orc and tauren in the argent crusade there is no reason that they wouldnt revere the light

Well what about tradition and upbringing? I mean, just because I go to work in Japan for much of my life doesn't mean I'll become a shintoist or buddist.
Edited by Rosyllyn on 4/18/2013 5:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]