On Draenei warlocks...

90 Draenei Death Knight
Thinking about it, these are desperate times, don't you think the Draenei might overcome their prejudices, I mean I am assuming that the Draenei have somewhat accepted Death Knights among their ranks, correct? Or am I mistaken? How do the Draenei see the Death Knights.
Reply Quote
99 Draenei Paladin
How do the Draenei see the Death Knights.

We wouldn't really know, the only shown interaction between a Draenei and a DK is in the DK starting zone.

As for Warlocks it's just not going to happen. Even for the other races they're considered taboo for the most part.

Considering the Draenei history with the Eredar they would see it as a betrayal, as becoming Man'ari.

On the Death Knight vein again they are fallen Draenei hero's forced into their current circumstances, very similar to the Broken and I imagine viewed in the same kind of light.

But a Warlock is someone who willingly uses Fel Magic.
Edited by Cadenbrie on 4/19/2013 1:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
This is one of those prejudices Draenei have to keep if they are going to make any sense at all.

Draenei warlocks do not compute. They just don't. It is possible, sometimes, to be so open minded that your brains spill out...this is one of those times. So: don't go there.

I'm a warlock and wouldn't have it any other way. But we can be secret friends. I'm even on Ad'al's payroll! He has humans like me to handle this sort of dirty work, you needn't worry about it.

Truth is, the rest of us kinda look up to you as these great light infused people. It's who you are and it is a wonderful thing.
Reply Quote
Draenei do not need Warlocks. If we gave them Warlocks to make them more interesting then all were doing is completely destroying everything we know of Draenei.

This is one of those prejudices Draenei have to keep if they are going to make any sense at all.

Draenei warlocks do not compute. They just don't. It is possible, sometimes, to be so open minded that your brains spill out...this is one of those times. So: don't go there.

I'm a warlock and wouldn't have it any other way. But we can be secret friends. I'm even on Ad'al's payroll! He has humans like me to handle this sort of dirty work, you needn't worry about it.

Truth is, the rest of us kinda look up to you as these great light infused people. It's who you are and it is a wonderful thing.

Agreed.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
I am just trying to understand how Draenei death knights fit in, and if Draenei are so against warlocks, well they have Death Knights, which isn't much different from a warlock, both classes use dark energies and powers for the greater good?
Reply Quote
I am just trying to understand how Draenei death knights fit in, and if Draenei are so against warlocks, well they have Death Knights, which isn't much different from a warlock, both classes use dark energies and powers for the greater good?

There honestly isn't anything to provide you with an answer. Not that I recall at least.
Reply Quote
Eliil, Draenei Death Knights are a tragic accident of war. Some of you fell in combat against Arthas and were transformed against your will. Truly, that's the way anybody becomes a Death Knight.

The challenge, for you, is to find your way back to the light and seek redemption, I guess. Or just go for straight up retribution. That works too. It is your personal story.

Warlocks are something else, and those of us who follow the dark arts do so by choice and at great personal risk. Not necessarily or even usually for the good, either. Warlock professional ethics are...complicated.
Edited by Sybhyl on 4/19/2013 2:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
While I do think Draenei should be able to be warlocks....No, the prejudices will always be there.

Hell, a lot of Draenei don't like the fact that there are Shaman among their race. It's just weird.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
I think the potential of Dreanei warlocks could work if they were introduced right. I have had thoughts on this my self. I would have them held with a high level of suspecion and alienation by other Dreanei but using a martyr spin I think you could do them.

Dreanei have an amazing backstory with huge potential for story hooks. Coming up with a story to explain Dreanei warlocks could hugely develop Dreanei lore and add an interesting conflict into Dreanei culture.

Anyone remember Meryl Felstorm? Im thinking something along those lines but more intentional.

If they can make Tauren paladins work then Dreanei warlocks are doable.
Edited by Trook on 4/19/2013 6:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
41 Gnome Priest
I thought Night Elf mages would be off the table too, but it would basically be the same thing.
Reply Quote
Tauren paladins are trivial compared to draenei warlocks.

Tauren warlocks might be bit closer in difficulty. But even that doesn't get us there.

Draenei warlocks is just the WoW equivalent of combining matter and antimatter: BOOM.

Don't do it.
Reply Quote
Thinking about it, these are desperate times, don't you think the Draenei might overcome their prejudices, I mean I am assuming that the Draenei have somewhat accepted Death Knights among their ranks, correct? Or am I mistaken? How do the Draenei see the Death Knights.

Death Knight Draenei are just unfortunate souls brought back by the Lich King.

Draenei warlocks would basically be collaborators with the forces that basically destroyed their civilization.

Bit of a difference there.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Class/race selection is never about the story. The story can be told any way you like. Warlocks would be pretending to be mages, but they believe it's necessary, yadda yadda yadda. Orc warlocks in classic were in the exact same position.

It's purely a design function.
Reply Quote
Class/race selection is never about the story. The story can be told any way you like. Warlocks would be pretending to be mages, but they believe it's necessary, yadda yadda yadda. Orc warlocks in classic were in the exact same position.

What.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

It's purely a design function.

The orc warlocks in WC 1 and 2 were pretty unrepentant about what they were. Warlocks that liked being what they were. A LOT. They also now know what they did was evil. It cannot be whitewashed as good in any way. They knew for a fact that what they were doing was undeniably evil. Some turned their backs on it when they could, most others didn't though. It didn't make much sense for orcs to be warlocks, but it was explained as orcs don't really give a damn if they can get power out of it. So they tolerate warlocks because they think they can use them and no orc really believes HE will be corrupted since the last time it was just a trick that got them.

The draenei don't think in that way. Their entire existence is in direct opposition to what warlocks are and stand for. It should be -very- hard for any warlock, Alliance or neutral, to be around places the draenei rule in. They should be barely tolerated to live and pretty much permanently exiled from draenei lands. Every eredar warlock serves the Burning Legion. Every. Single. One. It should be one of the worst betrayals of the draenei to become a warlock.
Unfortunately, Blizzard doesn't show the prejudices some classes would face so game play triumphs again in what you actually see.
Edited by Kynrind on 4/19/2013 7:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Eliil, Draenei Death Knights are a tragic accident of war. Some of you fell in combat against Arthas and were transformed against your will. Truly, that's the way anybody becomes a Death Knight.

The challenge, for you, is to find your way back to the light and seek redemption, I guess. Or just go for straight up retribution. That works too. It is your personal story.

Warlocks are something else, and those of us who follow the dark arts do so by choice and at great personal risk. Not necessarily or even usually for the good, either. Warlock professional ethics are...complicated.

I always fail to see how the fact they didn't choose to become Death Knights could matter. It counts what they are, what they dabble into, not something else.

There's difference between "killing someone by accident" and "killing someone willingly", but that's not the case. The situation is more like "accidently finding a weapon and using it well" to "willingly buying a weapon and then using it well".

Death Knights aren't just victims. They didn't want to become what they are but what matters is what they are now. Death Knights messes with necromancy, meaning they use dead people to their own interests, and they also have this "urge" to hurt other people. If they don't kill or cause pain to others, they go into a blood-seeking hysteria. They also have a bunch of "demons" or whatever they might be who keep tormenting them. The Lich King used to keep them at bay, but when a DK gets their freedom the Lich King's protection goes with it.

What a Warlock does tends to remain almost personal. The worst thing a Warlock could do, lore-wise and avoiding any RPing notions, is to kill or torture someone because they might gain something, either like a criminal would do or 'for the greater good' of the Alliance. Alliance might want to control or retard such actions but they can neither keep track of what people do nor would place enough effort to do so, considering it doesn't affect people as a whole.

Also, as I said, DK's have this urge to hurt people besides all the dark powers they wield. A Warlocks, either because they have something or nothing to gain, can actually limit their actions to not harm others. For example, in a time of peace, who do you think it's better? A Warlock living like a hermit, messing with demons, whatever powers he got or just on vacation, or a Death Knight, who is addicted to torture and will go into a rampage if he can't find a victim?

It's exactly because Warlocks chose that they are better than Death Knights.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
A death knight has no choice in what she is. A death knight literally cannot be anything else but a death knight. It's, literally, what they are. They have no other choice other than death for themselves to end it. A warlock chooses to be one and willingly dabbles in forces that are -extremely- corrupting and dangerous. The number of warlocks that have failed to control it and themselves is legion. There aren't any 'good' warlocks out there because none have ever existed. Pretty much most warlocks in the lore are either greedy for power, wanting to get revenge for something or just like sheer destruction.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
For example, in a time of peace, who do you think it's better? A Warlock living like a hermit, messing with demons, whatever powers he got or just on vacation, or a Death Knight, who is addicted to torture and will go into a rampage if he can't find a victim?

Neither. The death knight will have to find someone to torture and main and murder. A warlock will use his powers to spread his influence, corrupt people around him and be generally evil. The only reason warlocks are so low key in doing things is because they will be killed if they were acting out openly. If the law allowed warlocks to act openly like mages, they'd be showing their true colors and using their powers to weasel their way into power to control things. It seems like every warlock is a control freak convinced that -he- cannot lose control. Ever.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
04/19/2013 09:02 AMPosted by Mystaerica
For example, in a time of peace, who do you think it's better? A Warlock living like a hermit, messing with demons, whatever powers he got or just on vacation, or a Death Knight, who is addicted to torture and will go into a rampage if he can't find a victim?

The whole "endless hunger for pain" thing was never really clarified as far as I know. For all we know a DK could sate his need by pulling the legs off a few spiders. Or heading out into the woods and murdering some animals.

It was never clarified to exactly what was required to sate it. All that was mentioned was that the death knights have to cause misery, pain and suffering in others or they go insane and do it on anyone around them until they regain their sanity (such as it is).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]