New-ish healer question.

87 Gnome Priest
Why is Spirit so absolutely important to Discipline Priests? I've been cursed out several times now for not stacking it, but nobody will ever say why I should be.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Because as a healer spec it uses spirit to regen mana to be able to heal. Though I can't say how important spirit is at lvl 63 cause I don't know how mana consumption scales at that level.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Why is Spirit so absolutely important to Discipline Priests? I've been cursed out several times now for not stacking it, but nobody will ever say why I should be.

Okay, so...you're level 63. Right now, Spirit isn't all that important to you. The people cussing you out for not stacking it are...shall we say.."uniquely" um..."talented" in the mental arts. >.>

But, for future reference, the reason why Spirit is important to Disc Priests is twofold.

The first part is the same for every healer - Spirit provides regen, which helps you cast your spells longer. Now, right now that doesn't really matter to you, but in the future (say, around level 83 or so), it will be a big deal. So get in the habit of looking for items with Spirit on them, and picking them up if possible.

The second part is unique to Disc, and that is Rapture. If you look in your spellbook, you can see that Rapture costs a fixed amount (depending on your level), but returns an amount that scales WITH the amount of Spirit you have. 150% of your Spirit, to be precise. So, for me, at level 90, my Power Word: Shield costs me ~13500 in Inner Fire. But my Rapture returns ~22k mana due to my high Spirit. The difference between those two numbers is extra, bonus regen that you can get every 12 seconds. That extra mana can be converted into more healing - more shields, more Greater Heals, more Smites, etc. This is in addition to the base regen I get for having the amount of Spirit that I have.

But, like I said, right now if people are giving you crap for not stacking Spirit, they're just stupid and ignorant. :-\ They're the same kind of people who scream at you for using Flash Heal at that level, even though it costs like, nearly nothing and heals for a full health bar. People are dumb. :-\
Edited by Tiriel on 4/19/2013 6:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
HC
But, for future reference, the reason why Spirit is important to Disc Priests is twofold.

That extra mana can be converted into more healing - more shields, more Greater Heals, more Smites, etc. This is in addition to the base regen I get for having the amount of Spirit that I have.

Quote from a priest in that spirit thread:

Spirit does not increase our spells' healing output, nor does it alter the time in which it takes for us to cast them. Thus it has no direct effect on throughput.

Spirit has effects on mana. This means we can continue our throughput for longer before running out of mana, but to say Spirit is a throughput stat is erroneous. It is a longevity stat. When driving a car the size of your gas tank has no bearing on the speed at which you travel, it merely affects how long you can sustain that speed.

Now, if you want to say that Spirit allows you to do things like spam Bubbles that is OK. But don't say that you have more throughput, because any Priest can spam Bubbles until running OOM. The strength of your bubbles and the speed at which you cast them are your throughput. Whether or not you'll run OOM due to this practice is a matter of longevity.

Just didn't want you to get confused by Tiriel, OP.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Why in God's name are the above two posts reported?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Why in God's name are the above two posts reported?

LOL we have petty people on this forum.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]