Differences between Shamans and H Pallys?

I apologize for being the millionth person to ask, but I'm trying to level a heavier healer. I've played priest and druids, but I prefer the look and feel of mail and plate. Also, I enjoyed the mobility of the other two, but I much prefer a shield to hide behind and more direct and powerful heals. Both shamans and pallys can provide this, but how do they bring it about exactly? They both seem to hard heal and can tank heal effectively. I read the choosing a new healer section, but I still can't decide. Anyways, any advice and insight would be much appreciated.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Holy Paladins have been "the" best healer in the game for a long time now.

In addition, you have access to all 3 specs of the game should you want a change.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
A lot of this is subjective, so take it with a grain of salt.

The great thing about Paladins (for me personally) is the cooldowns -- dear God, the cooldowns -- that you have at your disposal. You are literally never without options. The meshing of mana and holy power feels great, too, and it makes me wish every healer had dual resources.

From an aesthetic/RP perspective, Shaman are probably my favorite healers, and I have played all of them (sans Monk) to some extent at endgame. I dig the "Water and Earth" aspect a lot. Totems can either be a blessing or a curse, depending on who you talk to. I have a soft spot for them, but there have been times when they've felt more a nuisance than a boon.

All of that being said, if you like your mobility, stay away from Shaman.

Shaman

Pros:
-great stack-healing potential
-Ancestral Vigor
-a mastery that counts when it's needed most
-MTT

Cons:
-have difficulty healing while the raid is spread or on the move
-no tank cd
-not in the best place this tier
-MTT

Paladins

Pros:
-ALL the Cooldowns
-very adaptable
-Hand of Sacrifice (seriously, my life for this spell on any other healer)
-in a good place this tier

Cons:
-mana intensive
-HP has a bit of a learning curve if you're not used to it
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
The great thing about Paladins (for me personally) is the cooldowns -- dear God, the cooldowns -- that you have at your disposal. You are literally never without options.

Say what?

I've got:

- A tank cooldown that, if the tank's taking serious enough damage to merit a CD, also does some serious damage to me. Still a very useful spell, but as a priest, I'm accustomed to the same effect without the downside.

- A single-target cooldown that's likely to wipe the raid if used on a tank without extensive planning, but that also doesn't work on most forms of raid damage, so is mostly only useful for cheesing mechanics.

- A single-target cooldown with a 10-minute CD.

- A personal immunity cooldown (ok, this is awesome.)

- A personal damage reduction cooldown (I can find uses for that.)

- A raid damage reduction cooldown that doesn't work about half the time.

- A personal throughput cooldown that gives me haste and bigger spells (ok, this is pretty decent).

- A personal throughput cooldown that gives me crit (why?)

- A personal throughput cooldown that does stack-AoE healing when I cast single-target spells (why???)

So...yeah, I have a lot of cooldowns, but they're all weird and situational and mostly just not really very good. I envy Shaman cooldowns. I don't envy much else about shamans, but I can't tell you how many times, attempting to heal this expansion as a paladin, I've wished I had a CD that actually functioned in the situation where I needed it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
04/03/2013 03:14 PMPosted by Kaels
Say what?

Okay, maybe "never without options" was a smidgen too optimistic.

And you're definitely right, Resto Shaman do have some great cooldowns. And I grant you that many of the Paladin's cooldowns are extremely situational. It just feels nice (to me personally) having the options, even if I rarely use them.

I haven't healed on my Paladin yet this expansion, so my knowledge is somewhat out of date.

04/03/2013 03:14 PMPosted by Kaels
A tank cooldown that, if the tank's taking serious enough damage to merit a CD, also does some serious damage to me.

Tell me my beloved HoSac is still useful. ;_;
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest

Oh, it's great. But I've killed myself with it. Sigh.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I save the day, all day.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman

Part of the thrill. ;) Don't know why I'm so partial to it, I've just always really liked it for some reason.

Anyways, any advice and insight would be much appreciated.

The point that Kaels and I are trying to assert, Tusks, is that every healer has their advantages and disadvantages. Unless you're in a position where you HAVE to min/max to the utmost... I wouldn't worry about it. You say you like the looks of mail and plate, and that's part of the reason you want to try a Shaman/Paladin. That leads me to believe that you have the luxury of playing what you want and deciding what works best for *you*, which is as it should be.

I enjoy healing in general, and there is something in every class/spec that I've come to love. Just go with your gut, and don't be afraid to try a little bit of both!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
04/03/2013 03:40 PMPosted by Kaels

Well, it's supposed to turn itself off if you go below 20%. They never quite made that work right.

Combining it with Divine Shield seems like a waste, but sometimes you just have to.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I've got:

you forgot purity that when tied to dj is possibly the most mechanic breaking thing in the game.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I love my pally and her cooldowns and always feel bereft of buttons when I play my holy priest but I can see where you are coming from Kaels for raiding.

I'm not sure what content the OP is aiming for. Some of the pally hands see a lot more use in 5 mans. I love HoSalv and HoP in 5 mans for dps that pull aggro. "Oh you've pulled aggro, you poor unfortunate mage. Here, I will Salv you!". 5 secs go by. "Oh I see you've done it again, so you are obviously being deliberately naughty. Have a bubble and now none of your spells will work. MUAHAHAHA!"

....that might just be me though.
Reply Quote
Wow, thanks for all the replies :D My apologies Sarakatawen for not mentioning content. mostly I tend to focus on pugs, and bgs. my guild never really did get that big into raiding, but I am switching to alliance for this toon anyways. I have been wanting to get in on some arena battles, but I can't say I have much experience there. Paladin sounds like it is a lot of fun, plus I like the idea of bubbling the mage hehehe idk how many times i wanted to let the dude die....ok maybe I did once or twice ;) lol thanks for the input
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]