Severe FPS drop while fighting Primordius

90 Undead Warrior
To be more accurate, the fps drop has very little to do with the actual fight. The fps drop occurs when I'm looking at the center section of the floor. During any other fight, even when the screen is completely filled with spells, I usually only dip to around 20-21 fps (normally capped at 24), here though, I dip to slide show range, about 6-7 fps.

I've noticed that the floor has a transparency in the texture, and I've also noticed similar performance hits when flying through trees, since the leaves' texture is done with transparency as well, I'm wondering if the game has an inefficiency somewhere with alpha masking or if its just me.

1920x1080, graphics slider set to fair, capped at 24 FPS,

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,3
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP53.00AC.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.48f2
Serial Number (system): W800914Z64C

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0647
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 3448
gMux Version: 1.8.8
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
VX2250 SERIES:
Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Display Serial Number: RWS103802094
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported

Yes, my machine is getting a bit old for a computer and I'm going to upgrade to 10.8 soon, not that I expect a significant boost from it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
10.8.3 will solve a lot of graphics related issues. However, you are running at 1080p, which is rather high for that particular GPU. You shouldn't be running anything higher than 1600x900ish if you want decent playability. Also keep in mind that the transparency used in certain textures may be beyond the hardware shader capabilities of your GPU, and for those it's falling back to software rendering (or just really barely chugging along with it).

Also, keep in mind that you are running two displays. Even if one is "asleep", your OS will still be sharing the VRAM with both displays.

One thing you can do is make sure sunshafts are off and shadows are set to no higher than Low. The 9600M just can't handle much in WoW's current engine iteration.

Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Good to know that 10.8 will have some effect, as for dropping my resolution, I've tried that before, but that vasoline lens is very unpleasing to look through. I do have sunshafts off and shadows on low.

98% of the time my machine can maintain 24 fps (note: I WANT it to run at 24) at 1080 with the recommended settings. If it starts to get much worse, I'll just drop all settings to low, and for now I'll just try and keep that part of Primordius' floor out of view.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I would update to 10.8.2 at least. Your machine can run Mountain Lion, and your current OS, if not ML, will not see any further driver updates, meaning that bugs will go unfixed and performance issues will not see improvements unless a miracle happens.

And the 9600M you have could use every last bit of optimization it can get, being a bottom of the barrel GPU these days.

Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I am having exact same issue, it is the main center of the room where Primordius is.

Macbook Pro Retina Mid 2012
2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7
8GB 1600Mhz DDR3
OS X version 10.8.3 (12D78)
NVidia Geforce GT 650M 1024MB

Anyone else dealing with this in the center of Primordius room? With no fighting/action my frames crawl to 8-15 FPS. When the fight starts it is a slideshow. Particle effects set to lowest setting.

Plaguedude, I suspect an issue with that room in particular over your hardware/software. My CPU/GPU/Software version are all better then what you are running and that room is horrible for me as well.
Edited by Integraa on 4/11/2013 12:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Monk
I think whatever is causing this is the exact same problem that causes the FPS lag on the platform for Elegon. They said they may have found a fix for the Elegon issue, since whatever they did in 5.2 is what caused the issue to begin with. (Had no issues before 5.2)

It's the exact same performance issue to me at least.

I think it has something to do with the red particle effect columns on the wall.

As a temporary fix though, until the real fix is rolled in...

If you turn the shadow quality effects UP, for some reason it fixes a lot of the issues on Elegon/Primordius.
Edited by Nishima on 4/14/2013 11:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I'll give this a shot
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight

If you turn the shadow quality effects UP, for some reason it fixes a lot of the issues on Elegon/Primordius.

This fixed my issue in Primordius' Room. For whatever reason, shadow quality effects at lowest setting is 10 FPS, changing this UP one notch and my FPS was 62. Thanks for passing on your knowledge.
Edited by Integraa on 4/23/2013 7:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Human Priest
The thanks goes to Omegal, as he was the one that gave that advice. :)
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
Try movie recording primordius. movie recording is broken if shadow quality isn't set to low, fps bug out if shadows aren't set above low. sigh. wtb 5.3

you have to set to low, log out, log back in with it still set to low, THEN turn it above low. otherwise, no movie of primordius for you.
Edited by Omegal on 4/23/2013 9:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Tried bumping shadow quality up to fair, solved the problem. Machine didn't even care that there was a fight going on, fps stayed within .5 of cap the whole time. Computers are weird sometimes.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
the shadow probelm is just code in the shadow blobs that can't handle platforms/elevators. They render only on terrain and not objects.

The floor in prims room is actually the elevator down to ra-den (an object). There is a room under the room and you fight primordius on the elevator itself.

What happens with blob (low) shadows is they can't render on the platform so i believe the client tries to render them in room below instead and it just eats performance. The problem also manifests in elegon's room because it's another platform with a pit under it and the shadows can't render on the platform so the pit literally sucks them in with your fps. the fair and higher shadows are dynamic player shadows, not blobs, and can render off objects and terrain, not just terrain, so they do render on the platforms themselves and don't cycle fps trying to render them underneath the objects.

I think blizzard has this addressed in 5.3. although very few systems should actually need shadows on low anyways. the difference in gpu usage of low vs fair is actualy minor at best. anyone on a gpu that came out end of wrath or later should really be fine with "fair" shadows. they were introduced in like 3.2 or 3.3 and aren't exactly new. now high or ultra is a different story.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]