Dragon Age Origns

63 Goblin Death Knight
What version, in your opinion, is better? As in easier to control, handle, play? i know some games do not translate very well to consoles and to PC. Either of them clunky?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I'd say go to the PC, mostly because of the modding community. I haven't played the console versions though, just the PC one, and if you have the PC for it, it's great.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
DA:O is far better for PC, DA2 is far better for console at least imo.

The controls feel more fluid in combat with how i listed it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If you have the option of going either/or, go with the PC version. The console version of DA:O has some of the clunkiest control schemes I've ever encountered in a modern console RPG.

DA:O was made for the PC and ported to consoles, and it shows.
DA2 was made for consoles and ported to the PC, and it shows.
Reply Quote
22 Undead Warlock
If you have the option of going either/or, go with the PC version. The console version of DA:O has some of the clunkiest control schemes I've ever encountered in a modern console RPG.

Eeyup.

BTW, just finished DA:O for the first time as a DPS mage, after putting in OVER A DAY'S WORTH OF GAME TIME, and it was honestly the most badass thing I have ever experienced in a game. Forget the ending to the SW storyline in SWTOR, this blew that out of the water tenfold. Seriously, wow. I'm definitely coming back for another go.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage

Eeyup.

BTW, just finished DA:O for the first time as a DPS mage, after putting in OVER A DAY'S WORTH OF GAME TIME, and it was honestly the most badass thing I have ever experienced in a game. Forget the ending to the SW storyline in SWTOR, this blew that out of the water tenfold. Seriously, wow. I'm definitely coming back for another go.

Yup, DA:O was old Bioware's swan song, their last truly great RPG before their descent into mediocrity.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
PC version is better, especially if you insist on playing a mage.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

Eeyup.

Yup, DA:O was old Bioware's swan song, their last truly great RPG before their descent into mediocrity.

The ME series is still far better than DA, and I loved me DA.

Yes, that includes the ME3 ending
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I liked Dragon Age pretty well, but vastly prefer the Mass Effect series.

On the good news front, Patrick Weekes has joined the DA team, so hopefully we'll really see some inspired writing on DA3 and beyond.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

I will now toss you into the crocodiles.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage

I'd agree that the mass effect series is stronger overall than the two dragon age games, but origins is the strongest standalone game.
Edited by Attacca on 4/6/2013 8:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
I thought we all agreed some time back to never EVER talk about DA: 2. Just wrong wrong wrong wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
DA:O is better on PC.
DA2 is better not played.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
See, I think DA2 gets a lot of unneeded hate.

IT shouldn't have been called DA:2, as it was more of a stepping stone game to set up DA:3, but DA:2 itself?

I promise you had it been from anyone but bioware the game would have been received much better.

Mechanically, it was superior to the first.
Gameplay itself was superior to the first.
Story wise, it was superior to the first.

Mob type and world scale, in addition to reusing maps is where it fell apart. but in scope of story and gameplay (but especially story, because Arishok was an awesome character, and the whole story line with him was epic) DA:2 was the superior game.

I certainly understand why people would say they didn't think it was as good as the first, because reusing maps and mob types was kind of a !@#$ty move, it's still worth playing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I don't know if I'd say DA2 was mechanically better, although the fact that I had to fight 10,000 wandering bandits just to walk across the street at night might have soured me on it. You think they'd learn after I'd exploded a couple hundred, but no....

Storywise, Hawke has no agency, you can't even remain neutral because the game forces your hand in picking a side. You're almost a bystander compared to how much influence you had in the first game. The passing of time was a neat concept, but because the setting remains almost completely identical it falls kinda flat. I don't agree the story ended up better.

I liked how Hawke worked though, and the inter-party banter was a nice change of pace from purely player-initiated character development (they barely talk to each other in DA1 outside of snarky quips, whereas they actually like each other in DA2.)

It's worth playing, but it's hard to ignore the "gameplay is just a way of making the player take longer to get to the story bits" style combat. Or the fact that they were so lazy about map design they took prefabricated cave maps and just put up flat grey walls to block off pathways they didn't want a particular map to have. That's insanely lazy for a developer as large as Bioware. Even Bethesda's Oblivion, with hundreds of repetitive caves, never bothered to just throw a wall in front of a doorway rather than actual model a wall you weren't meant to get past.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
It looks like mud on the 360

Nice on the PS3 but the combat is slowwwwww. You have to open the window a lot because you lack an action bar. And you can't place your team mates in certain spots the same way you can on a pc.

I've never played it on PC but I'd recommend that one. You get mods anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
I hate the combat so much in DA:O which is a shame because I felt like I could have really enjoyed the game otherwise.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
I promise you had it been from anyone but bioware the game would have been received much better.

Mechanically, it was superior to the first.
Gameplay itself was superior to the first.
Story wise, it was superior to the first

I can't agree with this. Let me start by saying that i never got past like 40%-50% through the game.

Story I didn't care about what was going on at all, the constant interruptions where its the one girl and the dwarf were always bothersome. I don't know who that girl is or why she is so angry and why she is questioning the dwarf when no explanation has been given for any of it.

Gameplay once again I found kind of boring when compared to DA:O, I liked the strategizing aspects of origins which I felt lacked in Da:2.

I only got to like 40% of the game because I enjoyed the first so much and really was hoping that the 2nd would get better, but it never did.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

Story I didn't care about what was going on at all, the constant interruptions where its the one girl and the dwarf were always bothersome. I don't know who that girl is or why she is so angry and why she is questioning the dwarf when no explanation has been given for any of it.

Seriously? There are no words.

Well, actually there are, but they're pure ridicule. I suspect troll post, but we'll move on...

I preferred gameplay in the second game. DA:O was a bit clunky and would have been much better off with strict turn-based gameplay, instead of the awkward hybrid system it had.

As for graphics, well, the PC looks better (of course), but they weren't bad on the 360. The real advantage the PC had was control. Just too many abilities for the limited input options the controller had.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]