Anyone Play Guild Wars 2? Way different feel

90 Draenei Death Knight
My brother had me check out GW2 at his house yesterday. I sat down and started a character and he walked me through the basics. Man that game has a way different feel then wow. It seems more dynamic combat, but the learning curve for me was pretty high due to the more static approach wow uses. I liked some of the features that they have built into the game and made me wonder if WoW won't need to kind of reinvent some ideas for the next xpac. The formula has worked for a long time, but the game has almost became to formulaic and people want to emerse in an experience or have an experience when they are playing an mmo. Even the new Elder Scrolls MMO that comes out maybe winter this year is trying out some new ideas or appears in the videos to be trying out some new ideas to make questing feel better than bring my 7 pelts of wolf fur. Its an observation and I don't have the hours of GW2 to say pros/cons, but liked a few of the aspects. I will also say they felt like 2 different games with a little bit of overlapping thought, not like a wow clone or wow killer.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I played Guild Wars 2. The twitchy combat, the 5 abilities per combat which you need to situationaly switch out, the dodging (double tap) are all nice...

... then you hit level 80 in less than 2 weeks. Then you get full Exotics in another 3-4 days. Then you get all your transmutes/dyes in another 2. Then you pug Fractals until the highest levels possible using gw2lfg in a very short time. Then you get BiS on your toon with not even 1 month invested in the game...

... then you resubscribe to WoW after a 5 year hiatus because Guild Wars 2, while fun, with a nice story, good game mechanics, just left you hanging dry and feeling waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too casual.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I still regret the money I wasted on GW2. Should have realized after the first one I wouldn't care for the second. Oh well.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
I played Guild Wars 2. The twitchy combat, the 5 abilities per combat which you need to situationaly switch out, the dodging (double tap) are all nice...

... then you hit level 80 in less than 2 weeks. Then you get full Exotics in another 3-4 days. Then you get all your transmutes/dyes in another 2. Then you pug Fractals until the highest levels possible using gw2lfg in a very short time. Then you get BiS on your toon with not even 1 month invested in the game...

... then you resubscribe to WoW after a 5 year hiatus because Guild Wars 2, while fun, with a nice story, good game mechanics, just left you hanging dry and feeling waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too casual.

My brother is way casual and he did say you level capped quickly, but hasn't capped everything like you did so quickly. So there isn't much end game yet. I guess the game is still pretty fresh, but wonder the quality patch support with no monthly fee basis?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
It's an okay game if you can't afford $15/month for a MMORPG.
Reply Quote
93 Undead Mage
GW2 is good and has some nice ideas but I got terribly bored a couple weeks after hitting max level. Most people I know had the same experience. It was just too grindy. Maybe it's better now since they've added a good amount of content since I quit in October.

What's nice about each new released MMO is that it builds/improves upon past MMOs. Eventually we'll see an MMO that's actually worth moving to permanently. Might take at least a few more years though.
Reply Quote
93 Undead Mage
I still regret the money I wasted on GW2. Should have realized after the first one I wouldn't care for the second. Oh well.

GW2 was a massive improvement over the first. You couldn't even jump in the first one and technically it was a CORPG, not MMORPG. I don't regret playing the game. It's still sitting there ready to be played on days that I'm bored of WoW. No monthly sub ftw.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Someone should get this moved to the appropriate forum.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
GW2 is good and has some nice ideas but I got terribly bored a couple weeks after hitting max level. Most people I know had the same experience. It was just too grindy. Maybe it's better now since they've added a good amount of content since I quit in October.

What's nice about each new released MMO is that it builds/improves upon past MMOs. Eventually we'll see an MMO that's actually worth moving to permanently. Might take at least a few more years though.

One of the things i loved in the 2 hours i played was the dynamic combat. A successful dodge felt good lol. Took me awhile to get used to the dodging while trying to roll abilities and move around.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Someone should get this moved to the appropriate forum.

General is not a place to talk about general things? As i mentioned, I think WoW needs to look into a more immersive gaming experience or like the other poster said, could be trumped in the next few years.

It was just too grindy

After all the GD dailies i've done this xpac in wow, im surprised that GW2 would be worse than that.
Edited by Baene on 4/8/2013 10:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
37 Draenei Priest
GW2 is fine until level 80. Then it is bad.

Cheers.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
My brother is way casual and he did say you level capped quickly, but hasn't capped everything like you did so quickly. So there isn't much end game yet. I guess the game is still pretty fresh, but wonder the quality patch support with no monthly fee basis?

There is plenty of end game. Orr, Jormag or Fractals, and its pretty fun.

The difference is the philosophy in the game. Guild Wars 2 is not about gear. That level 80 Exotic sword from Hellfire Citadel ? It has the "of the Berserker" stats. Same as your crafted "of the Beserker" sword or that other sword that matches Berserker.

I had a thief. I crafted a full set of Berserker gear. All the "end game exotics" being the same as my crafted exotic set, all there was left was farm some skins. And the devs don't hide this, that is their philosophy. End game items are about wearing skins and customizing the look of your character­. They added Ascended items for Agony resist... but yeah, I had the 2 rings and quiver, all (Ascended) and gemed with +AR.

Legendary weapons ? Same stats as Exotics (or if they finally got around to it, Ascended weapons) and are again just skins.

WoW is different. End game gearing is a another progression like leveling. Not so in Guild Wars 2. So really, once you have a look you like, not much point in farming "end game".
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
They don't mind if you spend $15 a month to advertise, they even gave GW2 a place to do it:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/2721885/
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
04/08/2013 10:32 AMPosted by Berith

There is plenty of end game. Orr, Jormag or Fractals, and its pretty fun.

The difference is the philosophy in the game. Guild Wars 2 is not about gear. That level 80 Exotic sword from Hellfire Citadel ? It has the "of the Berserker" stats. Same as your crafted "of the Beserker" sword or that other sword that matches Berserker.

I had a thief. I crafted a full set of Berserker gear. All the "end game exotics" being the same as my crafted exotic set, all there was left was farm some skins. And the devs don't hide this, that is their philosophy. End game items are about wearing skins and customizing the look of your character­. They added Ascended items for Agony resist... but yeah, I had the 2 rings and quiver, all (Ascended) and gemed with +AR.

Legendary weapons ? Same stats as Exotics (or if they finally got around to it, Ascended weapons) and are again just skins.

WoW is different. End game gearing is a another progression like leveling. Not so in Guild Wars 2. So really, once you have a look you like, not much point in farming "end game".

thanks for piping up. do you see this as a fatal flaw given that most people are capping level in 2 to 3 weeks? Should they have extended the leveling experience or provided new routes at end game?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
What is it with all the G2 posts popping up lately?

Been there done that *yawn* Couldn't get past level 25, was bored to death.

Wake me when Elder Scrolls come out, I'll play that for sure.
Reply Quote
10 Blood Elf Paladin
gw2 is a really good game, it just lacks endgame content. a lot of good ideas in it, i wouldnt mind if wow had something like dynamic events.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
04/08/2013 10:36 AMPosted by Kynelia
Been there done that *yawn* Couldn't get past level 25, was bored to death.

"Been there, Done that" is a title awarded for 100% map completion, so you would have had to been higher than level 25 to get it ;)
Edited by Berith on 4/8/2013 10:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
19 Undead Rogue
Sounds a lot like vanilla WoW.....................................

edit: patches....? xpacs.....?
Edited by Ironpimphand on 4/8/2013 10:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
19 Undead Rogue
Seriously how do you guys think WoW got to where it is now? They took a game that was fun and felt really good to play, and expanded on it. GW2 is still new
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]