Anyone Play Guild Wars 2? Way different feel

90 Human Paladin
thanks for piping up. do you see this as a fatal flaw given that most people are capping level in 2 to 3 weeks? Should they have extended the leveling experience or provided new routes at end game?

I don't see it as a flaw, I see it as a completely casual game. For a casual, it'll take a while to gather up the badges required for the dungeon item skins, the mats required for leveling your crafting to 400 and then the mats to craft your set.

Dyes are expensives for the cool ones (Abyss and Celestial), my thief had an Abyss bought for 15g (which is a massive amount of gold, or was back in January).

For people used to playing WoW and putting in 4 hours per day, more on weekends ? The game is finished entirely too fast and there is no other point than simply "fun". I was doing that at the end. Want to know why I stopped and came back to WoW ? The community. They were like "wow, this game is so hard! Mail me exotics! Don't add more powerful items!"...
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
They don't mind if you spend $15 a month to advertise, they even gave GW2 a place to do it:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/2721885/

I'm not advertising a game. I don't even own the game. L2Read. I've played wow with breaks since the first day it was at Best Buy. I am discussing what is going on and what I saw in another MMO. I see them as two different games, but one thing I see as a problem with WoW in that this xpac looked just like the last xpac but with more dailies. I think they are at a juncture where they need some fresh creative ideas and a feeling of an experience vs just putting hours and hours in to get rewarded.

@Berith, I see what you are saying. They made it casual to be a casual game, no monthly sub (knowing you are paying for something every month makes you want to log in more than a game i bought 1 off like Sim). I can't see the longevity of that idea panning out too well unless they plan on pumping xpacs out every 6 to 9 months. I like the feel of how WoW times the big patches to xpac..feels right, but new dailies for everything make me want to punch somebody in the throat.
Edited by Baene on 4/8/2013 10:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
They don't mind if you spend $15 a month to advertise, they even gave GW2 a place to do it:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/2721885/

I'm not advertising a game. I don't even own the game. L2Read. I've played wow with breaks since the first day it was at Best Buy. I am discussing what is going on and what I saw in another MMO. I see them as two different games, but one thing I see as a problem with WoW in that this xpac looked just like the last xpac but with more dailies. I think they are at a juncture where they need some fresh creative ideas and a feeling of an experience vs just putting hours and hours in to get rewarded.

Did you look at the link? That is the forum Blizzard provided for you to discuss other games, general forums is for WoW only.
Reply Quote
59 Tauren Warrior
GW2 is awesome and I highly recommend it to anyone. I feel like they came really close to being what the next generation of MMO's will all want to be. There are only two things that drag it down.

1) The treadmill is missing- there's nothing to do at the level cap. I know that was one of their goals for the game, but it just doesn't feel compelling without that endless level cap grind for stuff.

2) The lack of tank/heal/dps triad. I am totally behind the goal of getting rid of the reliance on the three traditional mmo roles. Unfortunately, GW2 didn't quite pull it off. Instead of a group feeling like they come together and work as a team, it feels like 5 guys running around like chickens with their heads cut off trying not to get hurt until the cooldown is up on their self heal.

Again, even with these flaws it is totally worth the 50 bucks. If you haven't played it and you aren't broke... go buy it. It's an amazing game.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
04/08/2013 10:31 AMPosted by Baene
General is not a place to talk about general things?

No its to talk about General World of Warcraft topics.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Again, even with these flaws it is totally worth the 50 bucks. If you haven't played it and you aren't broke... go buy it. It's an amazing game.

I've really heard too many people say it sucks.

If they ever feel confident enough in the game to offer a free trial, then I'll try it out. I won't spend $60 to try it.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight

Did you look at the link? That is the forum Blizzard provided for you to discuss other games, general forums is for WoW only.
Part of my discussion has to do with Wow and the future of gaming. Lich King xpac in wow felt like you were part of this big story from the release of the video trailier all the way up to killing Lich King. I still try not to talk to pandas in this xpac... putting some panda music and temples around doesn't feel very epic to me.
I'd like to see this game absolute blast the others out of the water. I think they need some fresh ideas to make this game really continue to soar.
Edited by Baene on 4/8/2013 10:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin

Part of my discussion has to do with Wow and the future of gaming. Lich King xpac in wow felt like you were part of this big story from the release of the video trailier all the way up to killing Lich King. I still try not to talk to pandas in this xpac... putting some panda music and temples around doesn't feel very epic to me.

I'm not a moderator, and you can claim whatever you want, but you should take time to read the sticky's at the top of this forum and the one I linked.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
I hate the same thing on GW2 that I hate in WoW.

There's no clear identifier as to when you should move on to the next zone like there is no identifier as to where you should focus on all the dailies once you hit 90 in WoW.

I enjoy the GW2 shared questing far more however.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I got to around level 40ish and just stopped playing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I really liked the customization, but the gameplay suffers. I really dislike their "never die" and "heal yourself" mechanics.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
2) The lack of tank/heal/dps triad. I am totally behind the goal of getting rid of the reliance on the three traditional mmo roles. Unfortunately, GW2 didn't quite pull it off. Instead of a group feeling like they come together and work as a team, it feels like 5 guys running around like chickens with their heads cut off trying not to get hurt until the cooldown is up on their self heal.

Sorry, my experience is quite the opposite. This seperates the bad players from the good players. Waiting on your cooldown for a self-heal ? Sorry, as a Thief, all I needed was a Ranger to throw down a water field which I could then spam for AoE healing using Cluster Bombs.

Big damage incoming cone breath of death ? Throw down a Smoke Screen for everyone to hide behind. Heck, just using the terrain like trees/columns, etc.. worked like a charm.

Best groups I've had were groups where people didn't try to get Warriors to face tank mobs and Guardians to throw up shields and heals around. Those were the bad groups, running around and waiting on self-heal cooldowns like you say.

The good groups used their Combo fields as much as possible for healing/increased DPS, their interrupts and shields, and get bosses down without even relying on a damage soaker that played tank.

In that, I think Guild Wars 2 made an amazing combat system. It's just twitchy and very complicated for players used to a more static RPG model. Thank god FotM at level 30+ had a way of filtering out the bads by itself.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight

I'm not a moderator, and you can claim whatever you want, but you should take time to read the sticky's at the top of this forum and the one I linked.
Fair enough, if they want to move it, they are welcome to, but my post was not to endorse a game but speak to aspects of the game that Blizz should look at and take note of in the future. Starting with a simple, how can we make this game feel more epic and if the answer to this question was, let's make an island with more daily quests, than its time to turn over some new rocks and find somebody with some creative intuitiveness.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
There's no clear identifier as to when you should move on to the next zone like there is no identifier as to where you should focus on all the dailies once you hit 90 in WoW.

Since in Guild Wars 2 you can level appropriate experience on any zone/quest hub, no matter if you're level 75 and its a level 5 quest hub, why do you care ?

You can do any level content anytime as your level gets scaled.
Reply Quote
86 Undead Mage
I got to level 5 then wanted my 60 dollars back
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
I got to level 5 then wanted my 60 dollars back
I felt that way about a lot of games i've purchased over the years lol. Go play minecraft. best $8ish you'll spend. Totally don't know why you are playing then 2 hours later you realizes it's two hours later.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
My brother had me check out GW2 at his house yesterday. I sat down and started a character and he walked me through the basics. Man that game has a way different feel then wow. It seems more dynamic combat, but the learning curve for me was pretty high due to the more static approach wow uses. I liked some of the features that they have built into the game and made me wonder if WoW won't need to kind of reinvent some ideas for the next xpac. The formula has worked for a long time, but the game has almost became to formulaic and people want to emerse in an experience or have an experience when they are playing an mmo. Even the new Elder Scrolls MMO that comes out maybe winter this year is trying out some new ideas or appears in the videos to be trying out some new ideas to make questing feel better than bring my 7 pelts of wolf fur. Its an observation and I don't have the hours of GW2 to say pros/cons, but liked a few of the aspects. I will also say they felt like 2 different games with a little bit of overlapping thought, not like a wow clone or wow killer.

Considering it is a different game by a different development company, I would hope it would be different.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Ya I played it and hate it with a passion, just garbage core mechanics...
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Ya I played it and hate it with a passion, just garbage core mechanics...
Combat system? Quest System? Pvp? Gold/Karma, everything? Any takeaways that you would like to see WoW using?

I liked Rift's events system closing a rift and getting rewarded and liked the event system in GW2. I would really like to see this implemented into the questing/leveling system in wow. You are collecting clam juice when bam murlocks attack the quest area and you fend them off for xp/items/whatever
Edited by Baene on 4/8/2013 11:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I played Guild Wars 2. The twitchy combat, the 5 abilities per combat which you need to situationaly switch out, the dodging (double tap) are all nice...

... then you hit level 80 in less than 2 weeks. Then you get full Exotics in another 3-4 days. Then you get all your transmutes/dyes in another 2. Then you pug Fractals until the highest levels possible using gw2lfg in a very short time. Then you get BiS on your toon with not even 1 month invested in the game...

... then you resubscribe to WoW after a 5 year hiatus because Guild Wars 2, while fun, with a nice story, good game mechanics, just left you hanging dry and feeling waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too casual.

You didn't mention PvP at all - which is GW2's trademark differentiator... world v world combat. Objective based, long-term battleground.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]