Healing dummies

90 Orc Warrior
Saw a comment on WoW Joystiq and thought I would share it with other healers and see how they liked the idea.

I wish there were healing dummies.

Next to the dps target dummies in a city you'd have the same basic thing, but representing a player - a tank.

The first one would have its health drop at a slow, steady pace. Practice your HoTs and efficient heals.

The second would have the same slow decline, but with regular damage spikes, dropping the health pool way down to 10% or so. Practice your emergency heals.

The third would be unpredictable. Periods of no/slight damage, periods of big, heavy hits, and everything in between. Practice not crapping yourself.

What are your thoughts on this?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I like the idea behind this.

I wonder how they would make it for an individual player, you know? I don't want to practice my healing with another healer on the target.

Also, perhaps the dummies wouldn't begin to lose their health until you began to heal them. I wouldn't want to start the healing process if the dummie is at 2% already, though I suppose that would be a form of practice in itself.

Lastly, I wonder, if this would be as ideal as it seems. Personally, I'd probably wind up healing Heroics to practice a new healing style or class.

The idea would need some polishing, but I'm sure Blizzard could come up with something.
Reply Quote
Quote of a quote of a... you get the idea...

Quoting myself from another thread about the exact. same. thing.

What DPS need in a target dummy for it to give them the information they need:
- Something that will not die during their x minute rotation test.

What a Healer would need in a target dummy for it to give them the information they need:
- Varying levels of health.
- Known single-target burst damage.
- Known raid-wide burst damage.
- Known multi-target (but not raid-wide) burst damage.
- Unknown single-target burst damage.
- Unknown raid-wide burst damage.
- Unknown multi-target (but not raid-wide) burst damage.
- Pulse damage.
- Dummies who stand in the fire.
- Dummies that don't stand in the fire.
- ... and countless other things I could probably spend the next half hour listing.

If you honestly can't see the difference, I really do not know what to say.

The question is not "Could it be done?" Because that answer is probably "Yes, I am sure it could." The question is "Should resources (both manpower and money) be poured into creating dummies that act like people when there are 10 million ACTUAL people that would serve the exact same function for free?" and that answer should be a resounding "No."

edit: No DPS, at least no one deserving of being called one, tests their absolute DPS on training dummies. They practice rotations, and gearing changes to see if there is a net-change. The numbers themselves are irrelevant, it only matters if they go up... or they go down. Which, for a healer, is the exact same thing you would see casting on yourself.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I thought anyone walking around was my healing dummy or and LFR. That's it.

....?
Edited by Naérdriel on 4/9/2013 6:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Since seeing the scenario technology I've been thinking that instanced practice areas could make sense for solo players. You could give healers an NPC to heal while an elite was roflstomping them, and likewise for tanks you could give them an NPC to heal them while practicing timing of active mitigation. You could have practice encounters that trigger various mechanics to more simulate the movement required in real encounters.

Effectively, it'd be like a Brawler's Guild encounter, but with a focus on training rather than challenge. Instancing it would allow it to work for players at any level, and could scale with item level. It would also remove any issue of sharing a target dummy with another healer.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Use the tanks in LFR as your practice dummies, and don't worry about doing well or not. There's always a healer hero in every LFR who will cover any mistakes just because they want to finally get the damn thing done, so even a new healer only doing 15-20k hps while learning will not negatively impact the run.

Or learn the way older healers did, find some poor sap to tank heroics for you while you gear up and learn :P my step-brother did it for me back in BC and i'm a better healer for the crazy !@#$ he'd make me heal when dungeons were actually hard ^_^
Edited by Tynave on 4/9/2013 7:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Oh, this topic again...

The DPS dummies are for players to get familiar with their spells/rotation and test how different builds would affect the spell/rotation in a non-hostile environment.

First, healers don't have a rotation, so we don't need dummies to practice that as the dps' do.

Secondly, for a healer to get familiar with what each healing spell does, how spells interact, or how a new build affect the amount of healing done by a spell, these can be done on themselves or any friendly targets.

There is no difference between casting spells on the healer themselves or any friendly player/NPC and on a "healing dummy". Or, in other words, we have plenty of "healing dummy" already in city/town, or pretty much everywhere.

However, when we are talking about true healing against damage, no dummy can mimic what a healer would see in a real fight (this seems to be what the quoted post was trying to get at). Healers have to practice how to heal in real combat.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Duel a warlock.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
random battlegrounds are actually great healer training, too

just stand in the back, don't get annoyed when you get focused and smashed, and you can get great practice at unpredictable emergency healing
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Ugh. I hate this topic. OP, I have a stick here, and I'm going to hit you with it for posting this topic. It needs to die. There are so many ways that a healer can test things out. Healer dummies wouldn't really do anything for us, and there are other, more "random dummies" that we can find in 5 mans, LFR, and BGs.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I don't venture to the Healer forums often so I wouldn't know how often this topic is bought up :P
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Ugh. I hate this topic. OP, I have a stick here, and I'm going to hit you with it for posting this topic. It needs to die. There are so many ways that a healer can test things out. Healer dummies wouldn't really do anything for us, and there are other, more "random dummies" that we can find in 5 mans, LFR, and BGs.

This.

Healing dummies would be pretty close to useless.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Shaman
Why do people keep posting this thread?

Go do challenge modes.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
What are you talking about LFR and heroics are full of healing dummies.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Why do people keep posting this thread?

Go do challenge modes.
? Challenge Modes are for excellent healers, not some yokel to practice healing on.

Queue for random BGs. You'll quickly be buried under a deluge of idiots that need healing. You will quickly learn to access virtually your entire class toolkit just to keep a fraction of them vertical.

Enjoy!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

I love you <3

LFR = the only healing dummy you will ever need.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
04/09/2013 04:50 PMPosted by Veroicone

I love you <3

Might be a month old post but I really don't care.

Who wants to go into a 5 man or even LFR with a healer or several healers in training...wipe wipe wipe has been my experience with healers in training but they do keep it interesting if nothing else.

Besides if your not a healer and even if you are one who really cares if there is a training dummy sitting out somewhere that a healer can cast all their spells on. Is that little dummy going to ruin your little perfect wow world if it is there?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Who wants to go into a 5 man or even LFR with a healer or several healers in training...wipe wipe wipe has been my experience with healers in training but they do keep it interesting if nothing else.

Besides if your not a healer and even if you are one who really cares if there is a training dummy sitting out somewhere that a healer can cast all their spells on. Is that little dummy going to ruin your little perfect wow world if it is there?

Has nothing to do with ruining the world. It's useless and provides no benefit. Why waste developer hours making something that no one will use? Sure. Some people will use it, but they aren't learning anything. They are still going to stroll into a LFR knowing just as little.
Reply Quote
26 Night Elf Druid

Has nothing to do with ruining the world. It's useless and provides no benefit. Why waste developer hours making something that no one will use? Sure. Some people will use it, but they aren't learning anything. They are still going to stroll into a LFR knowing just as little.

What difference does it make if anyone is learning anything or not? It's a game of which there are lots of things that are useless and provide no benefit so what is the big deal that makes everyone so mad and arguing against this?

I have a level 50 priest and I would not mind having a training dummy I could cast heals on instead of myself or random people in stormwind some of which !@#$% at me for doing it and I really do not care if anyone thinks it useless or not just like the dps training dummies are useful for some but most do not even use them.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

I love you <3

A dummy isn't going to teach someone to heal, actually going into a battleground or LFR and learning how to manage cds, proper spell usage, etc etc is how you learn. Players learn bad habits, so yes that would ruin my "perfect wow world". I'd rather the developers work on something else :) It's the same with a dps dummy, you can practice your rotation until the taurens come home but actually doing it in a raid/dungeon/bg environment is different.
Edited by Veroicone on 5/5/2013 1:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]