Healing Rain - Best Practices?

90 Orc Shaman
I wanted to talk about your best practices for using healing rain, not just in optimising it (ie getting the ideal number of players in it) but how you apply it with the targeting reticule.

You see, I find it extremely irritating to select the spell, place it (sometimes with not insignificant lag eg Elegon, Council of Elders), then spend the cast time. It seems to have it's application artificially lengthened with the placement time taken and I'm looking for ways to alleviate that.

It's extremely frustrating to be placing the reticule while seeing a tank or DPS health bar taking a pounding, or seeing a target beginning to cast something that should be interrupted.

So how do you do it? What methods do other Resto Shaman employ to minimise this issue? Or does it not bother you at all?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
It sounds like you might be clicking the spell button to initiate the cast, and then moving the reticule to where you want the rain. I can see how that would be annoying as it incorporates at least a half-second of delay.

The center of the targeting reticule is always anchored to your mouse. Bind HR to a key or a mouseclick combo (with Clique, VuhDo, etc.). Then, you can have your mouse already in position before you initiate the cast, and immediately left-click without waiting for the reticule to even appear. Moving your mouse should be for selecting who you're casting on, not for selecting which spells to cast.

Example: I have HR bound to my R key. So I put my mouse where I want a rain, press R, immediately click left mouse button. Spell starts instantaneously casting.

As far as I'm aware there is no macro or UI feature which allows scripts or macros to simulate mouse clicks in the game world. You can macro clicking of UI elements, but not arbitrary locations like "wherever my mouse is sitting right now."
Edited by Taeus on 4/14/2013 1:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
14 Night Elf Druid
Have your cursor already where you want HR to be. Spam left click as soon as you press your HR key.

This should not actually be a problem for anyone except clickers (which is the reason why clicking spells is discouraged).
Edited by Kangarooster on 4/14/2013 9:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I have HR bound to my 7 key so I don't mouse click but my cursor is usually over someone's raid frame.
So I guess it's more a matter of getting used to positioning the mouse cursor first and then hitting the HR key and not the other way around.

I'll try a mouse button bind and see if that improves things.
I do try and use Ancestral Swiftness with HR as well to speed things along.
Reply Quote
14 Night Elf Druid
04/14/2013 01:22 PMPosted by Shockeye
I have HR bound to my 7 key so I don't mouse click but my cursor is usually over someone's raid frame.
So you literally move your mouse half an inch during the 1+ second GCD/cast where you cast the previous heal, press your HR key when the GCD/cast is up and click your mouse button.

I'm seriously not seeing the issue here.
Edited by Kangarooster on 4/15/2013 12:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
So you have nothing constructive to add to the discussion then. Feel free to withdraw and go elsewhere.
Edited by Shockeye on 4/15/2013 4:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You should always be using unleash elements with healing rain.

Use the gcd of unleash elements to aim the targeting circle. You'll minimize the downtime this way and get more efficient use out of your healing rains.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Are your frustrations coming from LFR, 10m, or 25m raiding? Healing rain usage will vary on these difficulties on a per boss basis and its just something that you will pick up and become skilled at the more that you play your class and learn your raids movement patterns on specific fights i.e. Primordius in which later in the fight our guild is kiting him in a big circle around the room i'll drop my HR right behind where the tanks are kiting so that it will tick on the tanks and the melee as they pass through.

Personally I have healing rain bound to my middle mouse button, I find it works well for me.

Generally speaking to maximize your throughput you'll want to keep HR down on the tanks and melee. Exceptions fights like Iron Qon where I keep it down on the group soaking the stacks of fire in p1. Healing rain is arguably your most important healing spell and its your responsibility as a shaman to be smart and use it effectively. We don't have a 40 yard aoe heal like the other classes so you must be aware of player locations at all times. You have to know the mechanics to fights, where people WILL be stacked and where people WILL be moving to. A lot of it just comes with practice.

I will always use UE prior to Healing Rain with the exception of UE Riptides on tanks or during spread movement.

I wouldn't recommend using AS as Elemental Mastery with the 1.5m cd lines up great with Ascendance/Slt or HTT.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
The only thing that can be annoying with Healing Rain (and any ground target reticule spells like Earthquake, etc) is that it is sometimes is really difficult not to accidentally click on another player or mob and lose your target when you are trying to drop it in a clump of targets. Having your target switch isn't really that bad for a healer (assuming you are using mouse over macros or a Clique-type addon), but it really is incredibly annoying as a DPS.

The only other thing that can be annoying with dropping HR is camera angles. On some of the fights in ToT (Iron Qon when you are against the walls is a good example), your camera angle can get twisted in such a way that you can't properly drop it on the ground without moving forward, getting it adjusted and you can even put it on the ceiling if you are completely not paying attention. The other thing that I can not stand are ground mechanics that make it so you can't see the Healing Rain graphic. Some examples include all of P2 of Heroic Sha, the puddles on Jin'rokh and the center part of the floor on Primordius.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
the center part of the floor on Primordius.

Yeah...what is up with that.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Are your frustrations coming from LFR, 10m, or 25m raiding? Healing rain usage will vary on these difficulties on a per boss basis and its just something that you will pick up and become skilled at the more that you play your class and learn your raids movement patterns on specific fights....

Mostly LFR and 10m.
My single biggest issue with HR is the positioning + cast time combined with lag from the busier fights like Elegon and Council of Elders.

I was hoping to get some insights into minimizing this and maximise actual spell application. It is true that familiarity helps significantly.

Generally speaking to maximize your throughput you'll want to keep HR down on the tanks and melee. ... Healing rain is arguably your most important healing spell and its your responsibility as a shaman to be smart and use it effectively... A lot of it just comes with practice.

I will always use UE prior to Healing Rain with the exception of UE Riptides on tanks or during spread movement.

Right, and it's that placing of the reticule around the melee group that is time consuming, especially when there's lag and then becomes frustrating when I see someone taking a beating etc. But that import of HR is not lost on me hence my wanting to use it more efficiently.
Agreed on the use of UE, absolutely.

I wouldn't recommend using AS as Elemental Mastery with the 1.5m cd lines up great with Ascendance/Slt or HTT.

The reason I use AS is the Haste buff, which allows me to put more into Crit and Mastery. I have been looking at EM though and thinking on it.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
The only thing that can be annoying with Healing Rain (and any ground target reticule spells like Earthquake, etc) is that it is sometimes is really difficult not to accidentally click on another player or mob and lose your target when you are trying to drop it in a clump of targets....

The only other thing that can be annoying with dropping HR is camera angles... your camera angle can get twisted in such a way that you can't properly drop it on the ground without moving forward, getting it adjusted and you can even put it on the ceiling if you are completely not paying attention. The other thing that I can not stand are ground mechanics that make it so you can't see the Healing Rain graphic. Some examples include all of P2 of Heroic Sha, the puddles on Jin'rokh and the center part of the floor on Primordius.

This. A thousand times this. The accidentally targeting a player with HR is definitely frustrating as it over-shooting the intended area because of being in a rush to get the spell applied.

The camera angles are hugely infuriating, to blood temperature increase levels! Not seeing the AoE because of floor crap is annoying the first time but not too bad when you know to expect it.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Turning off Recount and lowering all your graphical options will help.

In addition...

Remove any unnecessary addons, not just Recount. Don't just disable them; remove them entirely from the Interface folder.

Lower all graphical options to low. There are macros to force them even lower.

If you use Windows, make sure you're using a high-performance power plan. Use Task Manager to set the game (usually Wow.exe, I believe 64-bit client is Wow-64.exe) to high priority.

If you're using Nvidia Optimus (which you're probably not), force WoW to run with the Nvidia card. I only know of a few people with computers using Nvidia Optimus technology, so if you don't think you have it, you probably don't.

Close all other programs you don't need - Firefox, antivirus, etc. (Remember to re-enable your antivirus programs after exiting WoW, though!)

Break open your computer, take a can of compressed air to it - dust accumulation increases the temperature at which the hardware operates at, and if the hardware reaches a certain temperature, it'll begin to throttle itself and lower performance (or the computer will just shut down entirely).

Make sure all drivers are up to date.

If you don't have a GPU (Nvidia or ATI), you can pick one up for fairly cheap ($50 or so), which should increase performance.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I have mine macroed into my middle (scrolly) mouse button. I just click the scroll button while hovering over the environment, and place it - No clicking on an icon required.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I'm aware that my trusty old antique here is falling behind the times and for sure could benefit from an upgrade, but in the meantime I'm looking for helpful alleviation tips.

I will try the wheel button bind, that sounds very handy.

Thanks for the maintenance tips, Nahuui... I have done all these things (haven't had Recount running for quite some time).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]