Playing the Girl Card

100 Blood Elf Mage
You have yet to hear my masculine voice and lordly accent. When you do, you shall swoon... So declares Lord Revos.

Cerestal wins the Accent Duel, sorry. :(
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
04/25/2013 04:20 PMPosted by Kiraleen
You have yet to hear my masculine voice and lordly accent. When you do, you shall swoon... So declares Lord Revos.

Lies.
Reply Quote
15 Dwarf Paladin
i'll play anything for 20g, and that's a bargain at twice the price.

also, Indelibles are all hot, young Asian dudes IRL.
Reply Quote
95 Night Elf Druid
I'm confused. Why are we talking about me again?
Reply Quote
15 Dwarf Paladin
I'm confused

then i'm your date. /eyebrow_waggle
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
04/25/2013 07:33 PMPosted by Fagerboozle
I'm confused

then i'm your date. /eyebrow_waggle

Your lovely beard, when viewed at an angle, looks like four smaller wizard beards that you've collected over a series of adventures. I wonder what fantastic story those mini-beards have to tell.
Edited by Tîmelord on 4/25/2013 11:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
15 Dwarf Paladin
Your lovely beard, when viewed at an angle, looks like four smaller wizard beards that you've collected over a series of adventures. I wonder what fantastic story those mini-beards have to tell.

i'll give you a mini-beard discount -- 5g per. /nudge-nudge
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
04/25/2013 04:20 PMPosted by Kiraleen

o.O
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
04/27/2013 09:59 PMPosted by Cerestal

o.O

Should you ever visit the Land of Ford, your accent will be a great pickup line.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
/!@#$%^- card.

Now give me stuff.
Reply Quote
I remember running chain heroics with Casby from RB and a trinket dropped that he needed. The other 3 players were a guilded group and did not like him. I on the other hand was diplomtic and polite to them so when the spell caster trinket dropped and they won it, I used the gender of my shadow priest to pry that trinket from them...

It was funny as hell when the person who gave me the trinket asked me to send him a picture of me since he assumed that I was female and I told him I was a mid 40s male. Actually the word combinations was pretty funny and creative...

Cas enjoyed the trinket and had a good laugh.

I had a similar experience while doing the 'new' Onyxia back when it was content. I had recently found a program to alter my voice to sound like a woman or even a Lich and I thought it was fun. Then a trinket I really wanted dropped and I lost the roll by a number or two.

Then of course, I had the idea of begging for the item with my woman voice. The item was given to me almost instantly. - It was really hilarious.

That's the only time I've used the Girl Card.

Now, I use the Lord Revos Card. Men and Women alike swoon helplessly beneath my feet when I do so.
I have paid money to hear Yubarl say Aardvark. That was $5 well spent.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
SHEe MALEe is censored?!

Blizzard is quite ridiculous with their choice of censored words. During that time-period in Cataclysm when everyone's Mature Language Filters were turning on by themselves, I spent a good deal of time typing random things. You would be surprised to find out what they do and do not consider "bad." Some perfectly innocent things were blocked due to them being common "troll words," e.g. retard.

04/30/2013 08:29 AMPosted by Mharren
NOW IM GONNA PLAY THE GENDER DISCRIMINATION CARD!!!

I thought that was the subject of this thread.

I have paid money to hear Yubarl say Aardvark. That was $5 well spent.

A-ha! We shall have a grand time in raid tonight.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
is it (male chauvinism) really such a rampant problem among gamer nerds?

Yes, absolutely it is. See the sorts of things Anita Sarkeesian had to put up with from gamers for daring to analyze video games like people do other sorts of media. Or Fat, Ugly, or Slutty. When a gamer lets slip with any indication that they might be a girl or woman, they receive very different treatment, as documented in this study - http://nms.sagepub.com/content/early/2012/09/12/1461444812458271.abstract

Or you can look at how under-represented women are in tech and gaming companies, and the stories the women who are actually in those companies tell. Or you can look at how women are represented overall in games themselves.

Obviously a lot of this depends on what games you play, and who you choose to play them with. Warcraft is a big game, and I'm not sure we can generalize about how good or bad Warcraft and WoW players are when it comes to this sort of thing. WoW's population tends to be much more gender-equal in a pure numbers sense than a lot of other games.

What I would say is this idea that there are any significant number of women or girl players who will manipulate men and boys using their gender or "feminine wiles" or whatever into getting free stuff or preferential treatment is actually kind of a sexist stereotype. It definitely taps into the cultural sexist "gold-digger" narrative that portrays women as using their sexuality to manipulate men for material benefit. This doesn't mean that this NEVER happens, but that we tend to view incidents through this sexist lens that colors our interpretation.

That the idea of a gamer playing the "Girl Card" gets more attention than what happens more often - that gamers who identify, intentionally or unintentionally, as women or girls oftentimes have to put up with a heap of sexist crap - strikes me as specious. I think we could do with a little more push-back against sexism and misogyny in gaming and a little less complaining about teh femalez playing the "Girl Card."

04/30/2013 09:03 AMPosted by Xinjun
Blizzard is quite ridiculous with their choice of censored words.

The word Mharren used is a dehumanizing transphobic slur, and I'm pretty OK with Blizz censoring that one.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Shaman
This doesn't mean that this NEVER happens, but that we tend to view incidents through this sexist lens that colors our interpretation

What does that even mean? When you have 99 gals who happily jump into a sandbox and are playing alongside the guys, and then 1 comes in who announces very loudly (for no appreciable purpose), "Hey guys, I'm a GIRL!" how many shades of interpretation are there for it? It's just irrelevant and rude and sexist to make an Issue of it. I believe that Girl-card players are, in fact, quite sexist and every bit as guilty of misbehavior as their male counterparts.

Consequently, the answer of "So?" is applicable to all of the sexists, male or female, and should be used liberally at every reasonable opportunity.

So?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
04/30/2013 02:26 PMPosted by Oolaki
99 gals who happily jump into a sandbox

fapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfap
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
04/30/2013 02:34 PMPosted by Draxonicar
99 gals who happily jump into a sandbox

fapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfap

Soo much wrongness here...
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Shaman
Soo much wrongness here...

That's Drax for you. But at least he's an equal opportunity offender.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
also, Indelibles are all hot, young Asian dudes IRL.

Odd, according to another thread we're all, let me see if I recall this correctly, "old fogeys led by a five-year-old".
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

Blizzard is quite ridiculous with their choice of censored words.

The word Mharren used is a dehumanizing transphobic slur, and I'm pretty OK with Blizz censoring that one.

Well, not to get too much off topic but I don't personally agree with censorship in any form. However, specific to this conversation, some people do occasionally refer to themselves by that term, you know.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]