Tank leveling

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Anyone else having trouble with dps pulling mobs as if they were the tank?

I've asked nicely for people to stop doing it. Letting them die (because the healer is usually thinking the same thing) doesn't seem to stop them from doing it. Plus, it actually makes the dungeon take longer when either I have to clean up the mess or we wait for the dead dps to get resurrected.

Thoughts?
Reply Quote
61 Goblin Warlock
Anyone else having trouble with dps pulling mobs as if they were the tank?

I've asked nicely for people to stop doing it. Letting them die (because the healer is usually thinking the same thing) doesn't seem to stop them from doing it. Plus, it actually makes the dungeon take longer when either I have to clean up the mess or we wait for the dead dps to get resurrected.

Thoughts?

Other than what you're doing, not much else, imo, that you can do. Kick them maybe, but this is the main reason I haven't pugged anything in a long long time. The other 7 tanks in my guild never pug anything either. The funny thing is, you get stupid post like "Why aren't there more tanks? LFG takes forever for dps and it's not fair" type crap. Since LFG tool came out, I could probably name at least 15 tanks on my server that didn't pugg. Countless others that I didn't know well saying they never pug because of the DPS acting stupid.

ANyways, yeah, not sure what to tell you. Try and bear it until you get to max level, then stop pugging.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
or we wait for the dead dps to get resurrected.

There is your problem. If the dps are being pricks, you and the healer should just keep on rolling.
Edited by Khazzon on 4/22/2013 5:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Currently working on leveling up an alliance-side brewmaster. Most of the groups I had through classic content were absolutely painless. People playing well together, not getting in my way as I pulled half the dungeon, no issues. Once I hit Outland and Cata content though, its like someone opened the floodgates of stupidity. I eventually made a polite greeting macro (Hi, wait for me to finish pulling, please turn off pet taunts/righteous fury/blood presence, don't run ahead, no taunting/death gripping, etc.). But it feels like most of the time that was met with people calling me elitist/trying to do the exact opposite of what I asked. I'm not a slow tank or a new tank by any stretch of the imagination. I make quick, clean pulls. If it weren't for the fact I had a pocket healer and good mage queueing with me 95% of the time, I probably would have abandoned the project around 55. :[
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The funny thing is, you get stupid post like "Why aren't there more tanks? LFG takes forever for dps and it's not fair" type crap.

I've had this thought as well, they que up just to give the tank a hard time? I've also wondered what it must be like for new tanks and/or new players who rolled a tank.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
I don't mind if the dps pulls the group to me, its when they run ahead and start "tanking" that there is an issue. I ask them once, then kick if they don't stop. You are the tank, everyone in the group will vote yes if you start a vote kick.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
04/22/2013 04:25 AMPosted by Khazzon
or we wait for the dead dps to get resurrected.

There is your problem. If the dps are being pricks, you and the healer should just keep on rolling.

There have been times where I just kept going, mostly because the kick feature says the player can't be kicked for one reason or another. After combat, rolling on loot, stuff like that. In the time it would take to kick them the four of us can be done with the dungeon.
Reply Quote
92 Tauren Druid
Then you're pretty much doing it right. Perhaps just reminding yourself over and over that your queue is better than theirs is your best strategy.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Most of the groups I had through classic content were absolutely painless. People playing well together, not getting in my way as I pulled half the dungeon, no issues. Once I hit Outland and Cata content though, its like someone opened the floodgates of stupidity.

I've had the same experience. I'm not saying it happens all the time, I've had my share of clean runs. I'm just confused when I get a dungeon where someone, or all of them, compliment me for tanking (I'm nothing special, I just tank) but then the very next dungeon I get the dps jumping ahead and pulling without me.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
04/22/2013 07:45 AMPosted by Kazu
I eventually made a polite greeting macro

I think I will try that.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
the reason for this is the complete absence of consequence. You know how people are over the internet at this point .. if you remove any form of "punishment" for being a jerk, people will often be .. jerks.

they pull mobs because they know nothing is going to happen. Specially with heirlooms, anyone can easily "tank" a mob and explode it in seconds. I mean, once the group is attacking, it's rare for a mob to last more than 5 seconds.

you can ask them politely but it's a behavior impossible to change at this point. Entry lvl is still tuned for entry lvl, so it's the most faceroll thing ever.

Sure you can kick the guy, but he'll just get into another instance, and his replacement is unlikely to be better.

So you might as well just get used at it, and lvl up.
Edited by Leeflow on 4/22/2013 8:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
04/22/2013 08:39 AMPosted by Leeflow
you can ask them politely but it's a behavior impossible to change at this point.

I agree, I just don't understand the mentality of it. The run would go faster if they just let me tank.

So you might as well just get used at it, and lvl up.

I guess so. What else can I do? lol
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Then you're pretty much doing it right. Perhaps just reminding yourself over and over that your queue is better than theirs is your best strategy.

Thank you.

I like your name. *smile*
Edited by Summér on 4/22/2013 9:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
92 Tauren Druid
D'aww thanks :D

Good luck out there.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
The run would go faster if you just pulled faster than they could.

Stopping to talk slows things down.

If they're really a problem, letting them die and letting them run back will let you get ahead of them, while also communicating the result of their behavior.

Obviously, if you can recover things reasonably, there's no reason to "teach them a lesson" or anything so immature. Standing back to let them die doesn't make anything go faster.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Sadly, this is why I neither tank while leveling toons anymore, or tank LFR. I dps in both those cases and only tank on a new toon once I hit 90.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
If I am tanking on my own, I tend to be laid back about how DPS act in dungeons, as long as long as some modicum of maturity and courtesy are shown.

One of the reasons, I let damage dealers run wild in lower level dungeons is because tanks tend to handle damage better AND throw out higher DPS numbers than everyone else. I've seen this on my Paladin, Warrior, and DK toon. We already know that we could run most low level dungeons with only a healer, and they might not always be necessary. A lot of DPS know it too, and so I think they try to hard sometimes to put the numbers up... The curse of recount.

So... as long the respect is maintained, it isn't a big deal to me. I just remember that the children want to play too, and feel important to the the group. Sometimes they will surprise you. Many times, it will feel like herding cats.

Once I get to current content, I tend to only PUG tank if my girlfriend or a guildie is healing. Once a round of introductions are made, it is stated that anyone trying to "play tank" should also expect to play healer to themselves.

The reason for the change in attitude is that, at current heroics, I am practicing my craft and attempting to hone it. DPS should be doing the same I believe. If you are doing my job, then you are taking away the experience for me, and not really taking your own role seriously.

Thus far, I have never been kicked from a PUG run, but I have left of my own accord on more than one occasion. Only once have I ever met people so infuriating that I purposefully dropped at the start of a fight they had no chance of winning. Especially since the healer left with me :)
Edited by Aeremis on 4/23/2013 7:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
04/22/2013 12:41 PMPosted by Guidance
The run would go faster if you just pulled faster than they could.

I know these dungeons, I could do them in my sleep. The only way I could go faster is if I don't loot, but then, what's the point? When the dps pulls mobs it just serves to slow me down.

04/22/2013 12:41 PMPosted by Guidance
Stopping to talk slows things down.

I'm not chatty in dungeons. As I'm pulling mob pack A, I'm already thinking about the pack or boss that might be next, no time to talk.

Obviously, if you can recover things reasonably, there's no reason to "teach them a lesson" or anything so immature. Standing back to let them die doesn't make anything go faster.

Most of the time I don't have to stand back. The dps will run into the next pull with me and the healer nowhere near them. They die and then blame me or the healer for something they did.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Sadly, this is why I neither tank while leveling toons anymore, or tank LFR. I dps in both those cases and only tank on a new toon once I hit 90.

I thought of this but I have fun doing the outland dungeons at level and I like the Northrend dungeons. On another tank toon, I turned off xp for about a month at 80 so I could do just those dungeons.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
04/23/2013 07:32 AMPosted by Aeremis
One of the reasons, I let damage dealers run wild in lower level dungeons is because tanks tend to handle damage better AND throw out higher DPS numbers than everyone else. I've seen this on my Paladin, Warrior, and DK toon. We already know that we could run most low level dungeons with only a healer, and they might not always be necessary. A lot of DPS know it too, and so I think they try to hard sometimes to put the numbers up... The curse of recount.

This makes sense

At current heroics, I am practicing my craft and attempting to hone it. DPS should be doing the same I believe. If you are doing my job, then you are taking away the experience for me, and not really taking your own role seriously.

Exactly.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]