What's the point of

90 Human Hunter
Polished Battle Stones?
Not QQ'ing, asking a legit question, because in a game that's all about "Rares" and if you have a Common or Poor quality pet that you're going to use a Rare Stone on, why bother with the uncommon one?

Asking because I just got back to back Polished stones and had nothing to use it on. I understand it comes in handy when you're farming pets like, Minfernal, Scourged Whelpling, Spawn of Onyxia etc, but then it all goes back to, what's the point if you're not going to use it unless they're rare anyways.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
To take up my inventory space while i do pvp fights while i slowly go insane trying to finish Arch
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
They are designed for the lower tier casual player. Dev quote there.

One of the problems we have is we only see the game from our prospective. If you que up you know you will see the guy battling with poor and common quality pets. They have to give them content to. though I am not sure those players are even aware of the advantages of upgrading.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
04/22/2013 01:51 AMPosted by Hearus
If you que up you know you will see the guy battling with poor and common quality pets.

Srsly? I can understand using some of your uncommons because you don't have enough rare stones and haven't caught a bunch of rares yet, but poor and common? Anything that you can catch in those qualities you can catch in uncommon in a few minutes tops, except for the really hard to find spawns (which is presumably what the polished stones are actually for, you CAN use an uncommon if you want to, it's just not optimal).

Actually, the main things I would be tempted to use in uncommon are all the quest, vendor, profession, etc. pets that are fixed at uncommon unless stoned. Some of them have unique and interesting movesets. But you obviously don't need polished stones for them.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
Srsly? I can understand using some of your uncommons because you don't have enough rare stones and haven't caught a bunch of rares yet, but poor and common?

Again that comes from thinking others play like us. We are actually the exception not the rule.
Reply Quote
27 Pandaren Warrior
04/22/2013 01:51 AMPosted by Hearus
If you que up you know you will see the guy battling with poor and common quality pets.

I have actually never seen this. <.<

A few uncommons here and there, but mostly rares.

I don't doubt that people use them in PvE battles, though.
Reply Quote
74 Troll Shaman
They are designed for the lower tier casual player. Dev quote there.

One of the problems we have is we only see the game from our prospective. If you que up you know you will see the guy battling with poor and common quality pets. They have to give them content to. though I am not sure those players are even aware of the advantages of upgrading.

But I have yet to see anyone using poor or common pets in a pet battle... not even when doing battles with a lower level team. I have seen a few using uncommon pets (including one player who had a very effective strategy with a Peddlefeet), but nothing lower. I mean seriously, the lower tier casual player will use vendor/store/drop/etc pets which are all at least uncommon already. That is what I did when I first started doing pet battles. I seriously doubt that ANYONE has ANY use for the garbage stones.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
I seriously doubt that ANYONE has ANY use for the garbage stones.

The only use for me is to get rid of gray/white names in my inventory. They're not pets I'll ever use but I have them (lol zone collection frenzy) so they can turn Green and sit there and not look so damn shabby and sad.

It's like the Elder charms, I don't need them for anything except maybe buying junk for the Trove runs. There are a lot of stuff you outgrow in WoW but you gotta remember that there are tons of people behind you (and of course in front).

Hoarding "just in case" is also a WoW tradition for us pack-rats. =)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Their only conceiveable use is padding your petscore.

though I am not sure those players are even aware of the advantages of upgrading.

Nor would those players have access to 1k JP. And they would very quickly get frustrated enough with PvP to stop doing it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Then there should be an option for Experienced Pet Battlers to upgrade the Polished to Rare stones using, idk like, 75 Lesser Charms or something.

Thus leaving the youngins an option to use the Polished for their needs.

Everybody wins.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
That's why they drop from random PvP.

They probably envisioned more people doing low level queues; because that's where you tend to see the guys with non-rares.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
Q: With the polished stones, if you use them on a level 23 poor, then use a battlestone, does your pet drop four levels?
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Hunter
Q: With the polished stones, if you use them on a level 23 poor, then use a battlestone, does your pet drop four levels?
Yes.
Reply Quote
I've used a few on the real hard to obtain ones (Minifernal, Scourged Whelpling, Spawn of Onyxia, ect) because all I was able to capture in the limited window was common/poor quality.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman

Me either, you get used to Hearus being full of hot air in this forum.

The Polished stones exist simply because Blizzard underestimated the competitive spirit of their players that would basically see every non-Rare pet as useless, and saw no point in removing the stones for some reason. I even got one as a PVP pet battle reward and threw it on some obscure poor I caught for achievement progress (I probably should've sold it for the 1 copper instead).

Many changes to pet battles (esp the 5.3 Accuracy changes and tooltips) are a result of Blizzard slowly recognizing that even in casual fun activities, people still have a competitive spirit and prefer a more balanced experience.

These stones are like how you go to vendors and see Common quality armor and weapons that are useless except maybe to some hardcore RPers in Goldshire.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB

Me either, you get used to Hearus being full of hot air in this forum.

The Polished stones exist simply because Blizzard underestimated the competitive spirit of their players that would basically see every non-Rare pet as useless, and saw no point in removing the stones for some reason. I even got one as a PVP pet battle reward and threw it on some obscure poor I caught for achievement progress (I probably should've sold it for the 1 copper instead).

Many changes to pet battles (esp the 5.3 Accuracy changes and tooltips) are a result of Blizzard slowly recognizing that even in casual fun activities, people still have a competitive spirit and prefer a more balanced experience.

These stones are like how you go to vendors and see Common quality armor and weapons that are useless except maybe to some hardcore RPers in Goldshire.

One of us quoted a dev, the other stated their opinion. So much for hot air.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
I am not sitting around for over 250 pets going for a rare or uncommon version of each.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Hunter
I am not sitting around for over 250 pets going for a rare or uncommon version of each.

Because you are WEAK! There are actually over 500 unique pets now. And uncommon pets are TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE! They will not be tolerated!

I expect to catch my last rare on the day that they introduce epic stones.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
04/23/2013 08:13 AMPosted by Stygimoloch

Because you are WEAK! There are actually over 500 unique pets now. And uncommon pets are TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE! They will not be tolerated!

I expect to catch my last rare on the day that they introduce epic stones.

Was going through my Wow Encyclopedia on my iPhone and noticed that they had Epic Stones in their database under *released in 5.2*. Are those even obtainable, because that App seems to think so.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
Are those even obtainable, because that App seems to think so.

released as they were put into the code then. There is no way to acquire them though. And may never be for that matter.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]