Gear Fail, need some help.

81 Human Paladin
My gear sucks. lol. For tanking, at least. I really enjoy it, but I just don't have the gear for it. "Just get new gear." I know. I'm having a hard time understanding what I'm looking for in gear though.

I've read around here and basically I want Stamina, hit, expertise, mastery and haste...in that order. (or close).

I'm just having a problem with one thing: What other major stat do I go after? Other places seem to recommend intellect, but that doesn't make sense to me. That just helps with crit spell chance, am I right?

I guess I'm just having a really hard time understanding stat priority.
Edited by Pelaenor on 4/20/2013 11:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
You don't have a whole lot of options at your level. Better than at lower levels, of course, but still less. What you should try to do is hit cap, get as much expertise as you can, and then go for gear with haste or mastery. Realistically, you're probably not going to reach any caps, and even if you did you'd lose it in a couple of hours or less anyway.

Just keep upgrading your gear. Tank pieces? DPS pieces? Doesn't really matter. Take 'em. Reforge 'em if you want. Leveling dungeons aren't difficult enough to require min-maxed gear.

And no, it's very rarely a good idea to use intellect items. (It can be, but that falls under very advanced gearing strategies for min-maxing that I absolutely do not recommend worrying about until you understand it, if ever.) Intellect itself is purely a caster stat and Prot basically doesn't benefit from it at all. (Also, agility is pretty much worthless as well.)

Just for clarity, this is Prot's general stat priority:
Hit to 7.5% > Expertise to 15% > Haste or Mastery > Parry/Strength > Dodge
(Stamina is an "as much as you need to not die before you get healed" stat so its place on the list jumps around a lot.)
Edited by Keten on 4/20/2013 11:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]