Tips for healing Challenge modes?

90 Troll Druid
My guild is gonna start trying challenge modes again. Any tricks I should know about? Also not sure if I should bring my druid or Pally, can't decide.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Honestly doing a challenge mode is probably the first time in all of wow where I really felt like my healing toolkit was really holding me back.

Tank damage can be very intense, especially if you aren't CCing as many mobs as you should be, at which point our lack of burst healing hurts bad. It's not uncommon for a tank to go from 100% to dead in less time than it takes to cast a single regrowth. We don't really have any absorbs or instant heals that we can rely on beyond swiftmend and it's long cooldown.

The idea of also being able to do any significant DPS on top of all of that - lol no. Generally healers need to contribute to DPS for gold.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I don't have a lot of experience in challenge modes, but I will say that they did make me use the full depth of my spellbook, which was actually a lot of fun.

Best of luck!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Bump
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
A Paladin is probably more ideal than a Druid, but either are capable of healing CM's.

It's really hardly ever up to the healer to decide if the run will be Gold or not. You need extraordinary DPS, good CC with a tank that doesn't die in a GCD.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
I would say Druid is just as strong as Pallidan for CMs. Only priests really seperate themselves as the clear "best" CM healer.

Even then, they are all really capable. Biggest thing is using gear with as many sockets as possible, and gem lots of spirit! Get the Restorative Amber from the Klaxxi vendor for super fast mana regen outside of combat. Don't be afraid to use HOTW on bosses, they are usually the least healing intensive parts anyway. Stampeding Roar is nice! Spec Incarnation.

Have fun!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I've only healed them as a paladin, but we have a druid in the guild that seemed to be able to heal them easy enough. The main benefit to a druid is Heart of the Wild DPSing, which can make or break a gold timer. There are a lot of times where as a holy paladin you are at a lack of things to do since denounce DPS is laughable at best.

There are a couple fights that as a paladin it's just better to switch to ret(Last bosses in Scarlet Halls and Stormstout Brewery come to mind) since almost no healing is even needed and a holy paladin can't contribute much.
Edited by Iudicium on 4/22/2013 10:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Thanks for all the replies. I'm gonna stick with my druid 'cause I know him better, did scarlet halls and missed gold by 4 seconds. Will get it next time.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Nice!

The fact that you missed gold by only 4 seconds seems like you don't need much for advice.

I've only done two golds so far, but the key really seems to be working with your tank and timing cooldowns. Knowing when I can DPS and when he needs healing support makes a big difference in rotation.

Also most challenge mode guides mention these, but in case you're unaware:
Restorative Amber
help a lot. You recover mana twice as fast as normal food / water, and they'll help if you decide to burn through mana on bigger pulls.
Edited by Stromm on 4/23/2013 4:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]