bear tanks

85 Troll Druid
i just came back how are bear tanks this expansion?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Furry.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
sir i like that answer
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
No complaints, I love it. :D
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Bearly there

:D see what i did

bear

tank

druid

ok nevermind they are fine
Reply Quote
I finally leveled one to 90, and it is hands down, the most boring, mind numbing tank in the game.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Meh. Middle ground.

IMO

Pally>Monk>Warrior=Druid>DK Atm.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
As a former bear tank, I had to bench mine in favor of a brewmaster. I'm sure that once my druid caught up to the monk in gear, he would have done fine, but I really don't like the way bears tank nowadays. I think my two major problems are that SD doesn't seem to physically do anything (not to mention it's effects could be 100% negated by RNG. Unlikely, but possible).

The other problem I have is that it seems to be a lot of waiting. Everything has a cooldown, so there isn't a button that I could be hitting while I'm waiting for something to do. Monks have at the very least Tiger Palm, which isn't great, but its something. When I tanked on my druid, I was either waiting for something to come off cooldown or praying that I could dodge when SD was up.

I'm sure they make good tanks, its just not a style for me anymore. I much prefer the faster paced brewmaster.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I won't argue with different tank styles being better for different people, but there's definitely no gap in my rotation. Between Lacerate, Mangle, Thrash and FFF (because now it does damage!) there is always a button to press.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I'm kind of in the same boat as Saepio. I used to love my bear, but the 5.0 mechanics just feel weird to me. I *understand* how they're supposed to work, but every time I've tried to play mine, it comes down to a ham-fisted exercise in frustration. Even trying to raid before the expansion itself hit was irritating. Of course, he was the first character I leveled to 90, figuring that would fix it. Got a little gear, tried some CMs, some LFR. Couldn't get into it. Leveled an alt 85-90 to see if time away would make it feel better. Nope. Still not my thing. Made a brewmaster for the hell of it. Fell totally in love with it.

Don't get me wrong. Bears are excellent tanks in the hands of those who know how to use them properly. I just happen to have found something I enjoy even more.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I won't argue with different tank styles being better for different people, but there's definitely no gap in my rotation. Between Lacerate, Mangle, Thrash and FFF (because now it does damage!) there is always a button to press.

yea I'm almost positive I'm doing it wrong. Generally, I can make it to where there arent any gaps, but the only way I can is to follow a set pattern of Mangle, Lacerate, Thrash, Lacerate, resetting whenever the proc hits.

I prefer more options. Should I jab or expel harm? Should I tiger palm or blackout kick (when I have plenty of time left, the chi to BoK and waiting on energy to regen)? Should I guard or Chi Wave?

It just seems to me like the druid is very limited on when I can do what. I feel like if I don't do X at Y time, everything gets thrown off.

Like I said, I'm sure there's nothing wrong with bears and I'm just doing it wrong. Like Kazu, I made the monk just to check them out and never turned back (well...I did once, which is where my opinion of druids comes from).
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I would, in no way, put warriors ahead of bears this raid tier.

Bears are more than fine, in any case.
Reply Quote
14 Night Elf Druid
04/22/2013 07:15 AMPosted by Blackfeather
FFF (because now it does damage!)
Feral Faerie Fire has done damage in Bear form since at least Cata, and I'm pretty sure it did damage in WotLK too. The Mangle reset chance is new, but yeah.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I think just Cata? Not sure, now that you mention it. Cata still feels "new" to me; probably why I worded it that way.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I think it damaged in wrath too, although the damage was minimal at best.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
i just came back how are bear tanks this expansion?

Same as always, everyone thinks we suck, but really we're awesome.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
bears are in a very good position, though Ji-Kun and Tortos have mechanics that ignore armor and kinda puts us at a disavantage.. but nothing that cant be toyed around (Paragon is #1 10man guild in the world with a guardian druid)

People will tell you savage defense is rng, but its no less rng than block is, The way I see it, we have the highest stam modifier, highest armor to make up for an unreliable active mitigation, and we have an super strong avoidance active mitigation that completly outdoes block, it ends up being the same as shield tanks, except we're the other way around.

At any rate, i've not had any problems living against anything. Even if we have an RNG active mitigation, tooth&claw is not RNG and reduces damage in a safe manner. When you'll be full 522, you'll either dodge damage or take a reduced hit, you'll have rage for both easily.
Reply Quote
we have the highest stam modifier

The stamina multiplier is the same for all tanks except for DKs I believe.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
04/22/2013 06:34 AMPosted by Saepio
Everything has a cooldown, so there isn't a button that I could be hitting while I'm waiting for something to do.

Wow, not the way I play it. I feel like I always have a button to push and am not waiting on anything - very much unlike the Pally or DK.

Same as always, everyone thinks we suck, but really we're awesome.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]