Need some weapon advice

100 Human Paladin
Ok so I main prot, and this is my ret set at the moment. My problem is that I am grossly over hit cap probably in part due to the Fabled Feather of Ji-Kun, but the trinket is just too damn sexy to give up.

I've looked up what weapons are best, and everything I've seen says Zerat, Malakk's Soulburning Greatsword is better than Uroe, Harbinger of Terror. I do have both, but I don't see how the sword is that much better than the axe.

Since I'm this far over hit, would the axe be better for me than the sword by a large margin? And also, if I do get Bo-Ris, Horror in the Night, would that be better than both?

Thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
The only reason the sword would be better than the axe is because you're human so you get free expertise for using it. But if you're over the hit cap, reforging excess hit into expertise and using the axe/polearm is probably the better choice.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Hit > Mastery extra hit>extra crit. Blue socket 160 hit+160 haste> 160 str when reforging allows for it to be 160 extra haste from gear effectively making that slot 320 haste which is > 80 str 160 haste.

Use the sword. Do not lose 1% expertise worth of secondary stats and overall better secondary stats because captain LFR told you to.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Hit > Mastery extra hit>extra crit. Blue socket 160 hit+160 haste> 160 str when reforging allows for it to be 160 extra haste from gear effectively making that slot 320 haste which is > 80 str 160 haste.

Hit's not better than anything if he's over the hit cap. Yes, the sword is better if he can use all of the stats. But he's currently sitting at 11.17% hit. ELEVEN PERCENT. That's a crapton of wasted stats. Yes, some of it would have to go into expertise to make up for the lost expertise from the racial, but he'd get other stats out of it too.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
04/21/2013 02:21 PMPosted by Keten

Hit's not better than anything if he's over the hit cap. Yes, the sword is better if he can use all of the stats. But he's currently sitting at 11.17% hit. ELEVEN PERCENT. That's a crapton of wasted stats. Yes, some of it would have to go into expertise to make up for the lost expertise from the racial, but he'd get other stats out of it too.

Yeah I just looked at his gear. Honestly, just use a different trinket for now. It's probably your best bet. Regem your hit gems to pure haste or to keep socket bonuses sta+haste. Pure haste probably best option.

Extra rolling on horridon for spark is probably a priority for you.
Edited by Iltareh on 4/21/2013 2:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin

Use the sword. Do not lose 1% expertise worth of secondary stats and overall better secondary stats because captain LFR told you to.

I am not convinced in this. Extra hit is always completely worthless. Crit is only very slightly behind mastery in stat weights as well. Losing the 1% expertise wouldn't be that bad right now either, since i'm as low on expertise as I can get already while still trying to get as low of hit as possible. Worst case is I would have to reforge one piece of gear to get some expertise and get the socket bonus in the belt.

I just don't know, but I am definitely leaning toward "Captain LFR" on why the axe is useful. I was leaning that direction before I posted this but I just wanted to make sure. Hard to go off of two responses, though.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

I am not convinced in this. Extra hit is always completely worthless. Crit is only very slightly behind mastery in stat weights as well. Losing the 1% expertise wouldn't be that bad right now either, since i'm as low on expertise as I can get already while still trying to get as low of hit as possible. Worst case is I would have to reforge one piece of gear to get some expertise and get the socket bonus in the belt.

I just don't know, but I am definitely leaning toward "Captain LFR" on why the axe is useful. I was leaning that direction before I posted this but I just wanted to make sure. Hard to go off of two responses, though.

You have the most awkward predicament I've ever seen, my bad for the initial response.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Well, he said he already has the axe, so that's not an issue, unless having the gold to put Dancing Steel on it is a problem. Fabled Feather is just so good that he'd probably be better off using the axe if he can instead of trying to replace the Feather.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Yeah it's just the pieces of gear I have gotten for my off spec that is why I am at where I'm at. Once the tier chest and shoulders start going for off spec, those will help quite a bit with this problem.

Thanks for the input you two!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]