Will a Mount be any help in Redridge?

36 Human Priest
I reached level 20 last night and assuming I have the money will a mount be a help retrieving the key or trinkets or finding the orb to control the ettigers. The mounts are at the logging camp and I assume I'll need training and there are probably different levels of achievements. Are the horses which I assume are the mounts the same price or are there shetland ponies to warhorses and will gear have to purchased as well for the mount. Can you get your mount killed? and if so do you buy another or resurrect them. Like with a pet.
Thanks.
Val
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Mounts can't get killed. Since you're level 20, if you buy a mount it will be as fast as any other 20 mounts. So whatever mount you buy at this level, it will be the same speed as other mounts. If you see other people travelling faster than you, they are probably on a level 40 mount which is 100% increased speed while your level 20 mount is 60% increased speed. They could also be paladins, which have an increased mount speed. You don't have to buy gear for your mount, you summon it, and you ride it until you decide to dismount it, or you are in a no-mount zone. When you dismount, your mount can be summoned again by going to your mount page in the microbar. Yes, mounts can help you since they can help you get to places faster.
Edited by Ârch on 4/21/2013 2:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
36 Human Priest
Whoa! Apparently everything in WOW is complex. I just came from the community site and find 291 mounts, some apparently reserved for certain guilds, others available from dungeons and raids apparently. I saw three or four that probably comes from the logging camp and that is available to me.
However; on the last two pages (maybe more) I saw mounts available with spells and all the information said was source: trainer. Several mounts were available through professions but several seemed to be summoned by spells and all it says ,"source: trainer," and it doesn't appear to be limited to class or levels, except 20, maybe races I can't remember. It occurs to me that casting a spell might be better than buying a mount.
Any thoughts?
Val
Reply Quote
36 Human Priest
04/21/2013 02:48 PMPosted by Ârch
Mounts can't get killed.

That is good to know.
Can you fight mounted?
Val
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Hmm, I've never heard of spell mounts other than the paladin mounts and the warlock mounts. If you want, you can get the spell mounts you saw, but they might require you to go to different places where you cannot go yet because of your level/faction or they might be expensive.
You cannot attack while mounted, but you can be attacked while mounted. There are some mobs that are able to kind of daze you while mounted which removes you from your mount, but I remember these mobs while leveling in Pandaria which is an 85-90 zone, so don't worry about that now.
Reply Quote
36 Human Priest
04/21/2013 03:07 PMPosted by Ârch
Hmm, I've never heard of spell mounts other than the paladin mounts and the warlock mounts. If you want, you can get the spell mounts you saw, but they might require you to go to different places where you cannot go yet because of your level/faction or they might be expensive.

If you got to the community forum and auction house and click on it your character comes up with a space for pets and mounts. Clicking on the mounts page reveals how many mounts you have and how many are available. Clicking on the icon of those which you don't have opens a page of mounts, in my case 291. 12 pages 24 to a page with 3 on the last page, holding your mouse on a mount open a thumbnail and moving your mouse over a small icon on bottom left tells you price, level,trainer name and location. For the ones I mentioned the 3 on page 13 and at least 3 at the bottom of page 12 all it says are cast 1.5 source trainer. There might be more scattered among the other 285.
Can anyone tell me about these types of mounts?
Thanks again
Val
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Technically EVERY mount is summoned by a spell. You cast the spell to summon the mount you wish.

As you observed, every aspect of this game is complex, but just about every aspect also starts at an easy, manageable level.

In the case of mounts, it's pretty simple for you. You only have certain mounts available. If this is your first character, you are restricted to the horses available to humans at Stormwind. Hopefully your hearthstone is set there. You can hearth to the city, train riding, and buy a horse (or horses) from the mount vendor in Olde Towne.

There are fancier mounts available at higher levels, but your basic mount will scale with your riding skill. You won't need a different mount until you can fly. At that point you'll want a flying mount, most likely a gryphon.

You can't fight from your mount. If you enter a combat situation, you will most likely be dismounted. If you are high enough level that the creature(s) can't affect you, you can probably ride through. But a luck shot can dismount you, so be aware.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Oh, I understand now. All mounts are like that, whether they be flying, or ground, they all take 1.5 seconds to summon. Even the Redridge mounts will take 1.5 seconds to summon.
Edited by Ârch on 4/21/2013 3:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
36 Human Priest
In the case of mounts, it's pretty simple for you. You only have certain mounts available. If this is your first character, you are restricted to the horses available to humans at Stormwind. Hopefully your hearthstone is set there. You can hearth to the city, train riding, and buy a horse (or horses) from the mount vendor in Olde Towne

The icin that popped up when I reached 20 said the logging camp of course I was closer there than Stormwind are there any difference between the vendors. Could I have more choices at Stormwind?
My hearthstone is set to Lakeshire.
The reason I felt those 6 or 7 mounts are different was there wasn't a mention of price or level.
-Val
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Could I have more choices at Stormwind?

You'll have your pick of the same 3 or 4 level 20 mounts no matter whether you talk to the vendor in Stormwind or Eastvale and they'll all be the same price. Eastvale logging camp is definitely closer to you, so just go there
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Oddly enough, according to Wowhead there is an additional level 20 mount available in Stormwind (Katie Stokx) that is not available at the logging camp (Katie Hunter).

I'd be inclined to suspect that that's not actually the case and the database might be missing an entry, but if the Black Stallion Bridle is not available at the Logging camp, you might need to go to Stormwind.

<S>
Reply Quote
36 Human Priest
Thanks again. I'm not sure what exactly what I'll do next but I'm heading back to the game in a few minutes probably for 3-4 hours so if I don't reply I'll be in the game.
Val
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
The different ground mounts don't behave any differently from each other, they just look different.
Reply Quote
04/21/2013 05:34 PMPosted by Sylth
I'd be inclined to suspect that that's not actually the case and the database might be missing an entry, but if the Black Stallion Bridle is not available at the Logging camp, you might need to go to Stormwind.

It's been quite a while since I've checked either location, but my guess would be that that's the one we can get in SW but not the logging camp. I think the black one is still available from Menethil (the vendor was harder to locate last I was there, which was shortly after the Shattering), but SW is a lot more convenient.

...will a mount be a help retrieving the key or trinkets or finding the orb to control the ettigers.

Not really, all a mount would do is help travel faster between locations; the orb to control ettins is at the back of a cave anyway, and we generally can't ride mounts inside places like buildings or caves.
Reply Quote
36 Human Priest
I went back through the cave and saw the guy I was supposed to kill but I couldn't find a way up to the platform he was on. I tried twice, got lost and turned around and so I used my hearthstone to port to Lakeshire Inn.
I was building a nice size nest egg until the mount and training together with leveling two professions, Tailoring and Enchanting and I have one gold piece and odd change left.
I may be wrong but my understanding is I can only use cloth until I reach level 40.
Val
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Blood Elf Hunter
The cave is very winding and there are passageways to get up to where your quest objective is. You just have to explore the cave carefully. :)

Priests can only ever use cloth armor. They do not upgrade to different armor. Only hunters, shamans, warriors, and paladins upgrade their armor. (Hunters/shamans can go from leather to mail, while warriors and paladins can go from mail to plate gear.)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The cave is very winding and there are passageways to get up to where your quest objective is. You just have to explore the cave carefully. :)

Excellent advice, and you'll find that it applies not just in this cave, but generally throughout the game - in caves, in buildings, especially in dungeons, and often enough out in the open (mountainous areas, for instance). The game designers have done a diabolically clever, often frustrating, and sometimes downright infuriating job of obfuscating and impeding the expeditious completion of your quests. You'll usually find the clues you need by carefully reading the text when you're given the quest; many times, though, you'll just have to kinda stumble around the vicinity and watch for whatever you can find. (Move your cursor over the objects you see around you - watch especially for it to change to a gear. Useful or necessary items are not always marked by the loot sparklies!) And there's always WowHead, if you're really stuck, or, if you're lucky enough to be in a good guild, the members can give you the info you're missing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]