It’s lonely on the bottom

100 Draenei Priest
I know I shouldn't be looking at the meters but it still bothers me to see myself lag so far behind everyone else. Primarily I run LFR and I see myself on the bottom of the heal meter. Yesterday I even saw a DK tank out heal me O.o. Is this normal for a holy priest in the current content?

During the course of most raids I am able to pull the raid out of a serious bind and avert a wipe but it’s still discouraging to be on the bottom. Maybe since its LFR the other healers are face rolling and spam healing and I should just ignore this?

I suppose it could be I just don’t know the end fights and am not able to react to damage quick enough. Any ideas?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Maybe snag us some logs of your fights and we can take a look.

I find Holy really gets snuffed out by Disc/Hpallys.

I see you're missing 2 tinkers from your profession, those will help a bit. I know Engineering is expensive as all get out to level, though.

You're using Windsong, which on your weapon, it might be time to get Jade Spirit. It's a bit of a boost, really. It's worth the gold, imho.

Your int is low, which will decrease your overall throughput. I see you're gem'ing spirit mostly, which is respectable considering Holy priests eat through mana like no other. Perhaps switch your chest enchant over to Glorious Stats then, and leave the gems be. I'd slowly switch gems over to int/spirit once you get to a comfortable point in both haste and spirit.

What are you doing on which fights?

The Holy priests that put me to shame usually keeping Renew up (after 2nd haste break point), using CoH. They don't generally use the Sanctuary AoE. It's costly for mana, and is more useful for sparkles than anything.

Holy priest healing scales with gear. You really need to be well geared to get the max benefit.
Edited by Naérdriel on 4/22/2013 6:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
http://howtopriest.com/

good priesty reading
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest

good priesty reading

Very good priest-y reading, OP.

I second this.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest

good priesty reading

Yes this is good material, thank you. I feel I am doing a lot of what is pointed out in the guides, but will review it more and see if I can find ways to improve more.

I have been attempting to hit the hard-cap for haste, so maybe it is just gear related and I am amongst others that have vastly superior gear. I am also thinking it’s my ignorance of the dungeon’s mechanics and patterns. Staring at raid panels that have no need to be healed because they are already topped off can be frustrating.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Yes, it is irritating, isn't it? It's one reason I tend to go disc most of the time. I find Holy to be much more enjoyable, however.

The 2nd Haste break point is at 4721 Haste Rating

That will give you 1 more tick on Lightwell, Holy Word: Sanctuary, and Renew

Now, I see you're unable to quite make it to that point, which is just fine.

Are you having issues with mana at all? If you are, I'd drop back down to the first break point (a little above even). That will allow you to put more gems into int and spirit, which might help you stay with your head above water, so to speak.
Edited by Naérdriel on 4/22/2013 7:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
Yes, it is irritating, isn't it? It's one reason I tend to go disc most of the time. I find Holy to be much more enjoyable, however.

The 2nd Haste break point is at 4721 Haste Rating

That will give you 1 more tick on Lightwell, Holy Word: Sanctuary, and Renew

Now, I see you're unable to quite make it to that point, which is just fine.

Are you having issues with mana at all? If you are, I'd drop back down to the first break point (a little above even). That will allow you to put more gems into int and spirit, which might help you stay with your head above water, so to speak.

As soon as I crested the 11K mark (without spirit flask) on spirit and using mindbender on every CD, mana seems to have stabilized (using serenity). I started to gem for int as I can, keeping spirit at or above 11K.

Chakra state sanctuary and spamming AoE heals kill me causing me to use sanctuary on as needed basis.

I find myself switching chakra states up to 6 to 7 times a boss fight.

One thing I often neglect to laydown is the well. I am going to try and force myself to drop this on every CD.
Edited by Indìgo on 4/22/2013 7:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Interesting. I primarily stay in AoE stance for 25 man.

Drop down the lightspring (glyphed, because it's LFR and no one will click...) if you can, right before big damage phase. It'll help you bring up the lowest people, and definitely helps with mana.

I try not to use the Single Target chakra stance unless I'm in 10 man, and needing to heal up a tank quickly. I'll use the Holy Word Serenity (I think that's what it is) since it really helps me bring someone up quickly.

What are your top three healing spells usually, and their percentages (using recount/skada)?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I am going to try and force myself to drop this on every CD.

Download weakauras. Can probably poach most strings you'd need from different web sites though it is better to figure out how to write them yourself.
Edited by Sadiemay on 4/22/2013 8:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
04/22/2013 07:56 AMPosted by Sadiemay
I am going to try and force myself to drop this on every CD.

Download weakauras. Can probably poach most stings you'd need from different web sites though it is better to figure out how to write them yourself.

Irc, Howtopriest has quite a few strings for Weakauras for holy/disc/shadow.

I use a CD countdown instead at this time, but Weakauras really is amazing.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
What are your top three healing spells usually, and their percentages (using recount/skada)?

I will have to wait until tonight to get that information. I could speculate but it would be a guess and a guess is a lie, which won’t reflect what my real habits truly are.

Download weakauras. Can probably poach most stings you'd need from different web sites though it is better to figure out how to write them yourself.

I will take a look at this.
Edited by Indìgo on 4/22/2013 8:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
If you could, maybe get a World of Logs account, and take a couple logs for us to look at.

It'll be even more useful than looking at recount/skada meters.

LFR logs can be a bit messy, but we still might be pick out some useful bits of information for you from them.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
If you could, maybe get a World of Logs account, and take a couple logs for us to look at.

It'll be even more useful than looking at recount/skada meters.

LFR logs can be a bit messy, but we still might be pick out some useful bits of information for you from them.

I will do that. I can’t bring myself to try a 'real' raid until I find out what I am doing wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
That's admirable, but it's tough as Holy since again, they're so gear dependent at this time.

Hopefully after some inspection we can find a few things that'll help you out dramatically.

=)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6412411510

This is also very good-- if you haven't read it already.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6412411510

This is also very good-- if you haven't read it already.

This caught me off guard...

Use Inner Will if you are undergeared or experiencing problems extending your mana pool. Use Inner Fire when you are overgeared or comfortably healing content

I have been religiously using Inner Fire.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I was that way too, when I first started healing as Holy as 90. I read it at Icy Veins and held onto it. But as I became more comfortable, I saw the utility in switching it up.

Inner Will is excellent if you need the mana. It's the thought that sure, Inner Fire increases your SP by quite a bit, but if you have no mana, you won't be making very good use of that extra SP will you?

I tend to go back and forth during a fight. When we're in low damage phases I'll be in Inner Will to conserve mana until I need to step up my game--then I switch to Inner Fire.

I figure it's a tool given to me, I may as well make the best use of it.
Edited by Naérdriel on 4/22/2013 10:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Maybe since its LFR the other healers are face rolling and spam healing and I should just ignore this?

I suppose it could be I just don’t know the end fights and am not able to react to damage quick enough. Any ideas?

Remember if you want to peg the meters in LFR it is not about helaing, it is about making sure the other guy can’t heal. Once you lock down the other healers, snipe their hots, precast everything, the other side will come naturally. If you can keep your overhealing to 1.5 to 2 x your effective healing, that will do a lot to lock down that other guy who is trying to win the meters by focusing on healing.

I am being snarky with my comment, but it really is true. In an environment that is overhealed as bad as LFR being a bad healer will land you higher on the meter. Running out of mana in a 6 healed nerfed content environment is not about healing, it is about DPS standing in poop.

Give it a whirl in to give yourself a sense of the metric you are using to judge yourself. Aim for a 2x overheal on one run. Precast PoH on everything.

I am not suggesting you adopt this methodology, but just try it once, it will help you see what is really going on in LFR.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Maybe since its LFR the other healers are face rolling and spam healing and I should just ignore this?

Remember if you want to peg the meters in LFR it is not about helaing, it is about making sure the other guy can’t heal. Once you lock down the other healers, snipe their hots, precast everything, the other side will come naturally. If you can keep your overhealing to 1.5 to 2 x your effective healing, that will do a lot to lock down that other guy who is trying to win the meters by focusing on healing.

I am being snarky with my comment, but it really is true. In an environment that is overhealed as bad as LFR being a bad healer will land you higher on the meter. Running out of mana in a 6 healed nerfed content environment is not about healing, it is about DPS standing in poop.

Give it a whirl in to give yourself a sense of the metric you are using to judge yourself. Aim for a 2x overheal on one run. Precast PoH on everything.

I am not suggesting you adopt this methodology, but just try it once, it will help you see what is really going on in LFR.

While this may help you top meters in LFR, OP, this won't make you a better healer.

So it comes down to a question I had to ask myself---

Why am I really healing? To top meters, or to be an effective raid member?

Holy, like Resto Druids and Resto Shaman, only really shines when there is damage to heal. If you are healing easy content, it's likely there's nothing for you to heal. If you are healing short fights, it's likely there is nothing to heal. When you get to content with intense damage, you'll shine. When you get to content where the fight is long and the damage is intense, you'll shine.

You'll never shine in LFR. The damage is simply too paltry to do so.

While this may help you top meters in LFR, OP, this won't make you a better healer.

So it comes down to a question I had to ask myself---

Why am I really healing? To top meters, or to be an effective raid member?

That isn't what he was saying. He was suggesting doing all the wrong things to prove to the OP that the issue isn't his/her healing, but rather, the way LFR is. "I am not suggesting you adopt this methodology, but just try it once, it will help you see what is really going on in LFR."
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]