It’s lonely on the bottom

90 Pandaren Priest
While this may help you top meters in LFR, OP, this won't make you a better healer.

Agree completely. It will not make you a better healer.
But trying it once will give you a better sense of what the healing meter in LFR is really measuring. Which seems to me would be beneficial to the OP because they are judging their performance by it.

Like zeroing in an artillery shell, the first shot is way off to the side and over fired. That way a large enough distance is given to measure and calibrate the next shot.

Throw a LFR run way out in left field and check out how your tool works is all I am suggesting.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I wasn't trying to attack you Sass, I was just pointing out the inherent issue with LFR meters, and meters in general.

I was just trying to convey that while it's disheartening to be ... "on the bottom" of the healing meter, it's not how you should define yourself as a healer.

Doing so will only lead you down a narrow path, and it's not a fun or particularly effective one either.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I wasn't trying to attack you Sass, I was just pointing out the inherent issue with LFR meters, and meters in general.

Thank you, I did not think you were.

I just wanted to make sure my point was not being taken the wrong way.

Snarky or sarcastic statements like the one I made often don’t come across as intended.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Boy do I know that feeling. There isn't a snark mark yet, but when there is one... or maybe a snark font?

Hmm.

Regardless, it does paint a very stark picture of what meters "show" in LFR.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
As healers we all know how to check a -good healer- between a -bad healer-. The healer that comes in first on healing done doesn’t mean anything, if they are through the roof on over-healing. I can shut up any show off healer spamming recount data of healing done, by countering their spam with a dump of over-healing done.

Call me crazy but I am actually trying to use lfr for a training area so I can become more comfortable in my healing style, before I jump into normal raids. I was humbled already in my attempt with Tsulong 10N.

I know it’s not ideal but at least it gives me a taste of some of the mechanics and enables me to see what kind of healing I will need to do when I try the real thing. From what I have noticed so far is that I am struggling and the information that you all have given so far I think will really help.

One thing I will try tonight is re-geming my main hand, off hand and shoulders to int/haste. This will bring me above the next break point and I will be able to re-glyph renew.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
04/22/2013 10:57 AMPosted by Indìgo
As healers we all know how to check a -good healer- between a -bad healer-. The healer that comes in first on healing done doesn’t mean anything, if they are through the roof on over-healing. I can shut up any show off healer spamming recount data of healing done, by countering their spam with a dump of over-healing done.

This is incorrect. Overhealing on the meters means nothing as long as healers are remaining mana-solvent and the content is going down. Several classes will always remain high on overhealing due to the nature of their healing spells and the mechanics of their classes. This does not mean they are doing anything wrong, and it doesn't mean that they are not contributing.

Call me crazy but I am actually trying to use lfr for a training area so I can become more comfortable in my healing style, before I jump into normal raids. I was humbled already in my attempt with Tsulong 10N.

LFR is okay for figuring out boss mechanics, but it is a poor training ground for anything else. The damage is too light and the mechanics too nerfed to be worth much beyond that.

I know it’s not ideal but at least it gives me a taste of some of the mechanics and enables me to see what kind of healing I will need to do when I try the real thing. From what I have noticed so far is that I am struggling and the information that you all have given so far I think will really help.

25 man content and 10 man content are radically different, both in their healing styles and in the requirements on each individual healer. For instance, I would almost never be out of Sanctuary Chakra in a 25 man fight. But in a 10 man, if I am Holy, I am most likely going to be in Serenity Chakra the entire time (outside of DH) because you can raid heal as Holy in a 10 man in Serenity.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I stand corrected on my first statement, as it was somewhat of a blanket assumption; the point is I am not looking for help to top the charts (true it is nice). If I truly wanted that I would change over disc. My attempt is to better myself as holy.

And yes I found a drastic difference in healing Tsulong lfr vs Tsulong 10N (still failed but learned a lot). I found staying in chakra serenity the most viable solution as damage was much greater than I expected. Also my time was greatly split between dispelling and healing the boss with direct heals.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I have no trouble at all keeping up in LFR, even in ToT (and if you look at my gear - all of which I've obtained over the last week, so I had less than this for most of my LFR runs - it's hardly impressive). I'm usually on top by the end of the fight, although I tend to run a bit behind for the first half because I'm playing conservatively.

Basic Holy LFR strategy:

1) Spec Divine Insight, Cascade, and Mindbender. Glyph Lightwell and Lightspring.
2) Cast Prayer of Mending, Lightspring, and Mindbender on CD.
3) Cast Cascade for medium-sized raidwide bursts.
4) Cast Divine Hymn for a large burst early in the fight.
5) Cast PoH periodically to burn off some mana - try to favour times when 3-5 people in the same group are hurt. Don't spam. Don't feel obligated to heal everything.
6) Cast DI PoM when it procs (hold procs if everyone's topped off, though).
7) Cast CoH when there are a few people hurt across the raid but they don't fit a PoH pattern.
8) When you get to the most healing-intensive phase of the fight (usually near the end), start spamming PoH. Hit PoM in between PoHs in case DI procs, so you don't waste the procs.
9) As the damage ramps up, clean up with another Divine Hymn.

Obviously use your judgment and cast Flash/Binding Heals when they're called for.

Healing breakdown should be along the lines of PoM > PoH > Cascade > misc. (including EoL, DH, CoH, Lightspring, Flash/Binding Heal, possibly a couple Renews).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

omg why do people still believe this?

For the eleventy-billion-and-first time, HEALING DONE DOES NOT INCLUDE OVERHEALING. Overhealing has already been subtracted. You don't get to subtract it again.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
04/22/2013 12:45 PMPosted by Kaels

For the eleventy-billion-and-first time, HEALING DONE DOES NOT INCLUDE OVERHEALING. Overhealing has already been subtracted. You don't get to subtract it again.

By the level of math awareness of the general population of WoW, hell yes we can!

Also, it's okay to take an average of an average.

When looking at parses, it's completely logical to compare 2% of a sample of one category to 20% of a sample of another.

/sarcasm =D
Edited by Naérdriel on 4/22/2013 12:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
04/22/2013 12:45 PMPosted by Kaels

I'm not sure the person was saying that.

He may well mean that winning meters doesn't mean anything if your overhealing was also large. To some that's a sign of non-stop spamming in an attempt to repeatedly snipe / heal 25 people from 90% to 100%.

Having said that, it is really dumb to claim overhealing, without other information, is a sign of a bad healer.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest

I have already stated that I was incorrect for stating this. Please don't pick apart the thread looking for mistakes that I have since retracted.

Part of the my statement was from my own experience in a particularly bad raid where I felt my performance was weak. I was low on the healing meter and my over-healing was through the roof.

Since my original comment I have researched the meter which I use (recount). And the healing done tab is representing total effective heals done. So again I say I miss-commented
Edited by Indìgo on 4/22/2013 1:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
If overhealing had to be discounted (again) from healing done numbers in Recount/Skada, Shaman would likely be in negative healing numbers ever since the 20% buff to Healing Rain.

Overhealing is natural... if you are not a Disc priest. Some classes are more prone to it than others, such as Druids and Shaman. Having high overhealing these days for such classes is not uncommon because that is simply the nature of their toolkit; it does not necessarily mean that they are playing suboptimally. The only info I probably could get from the overhealing meters is whether or not the encounter is using more healers than needed.

Of course if someone is doing 22M overhealing and only healed effectively 5M, you know that person is doing something very wrong (or the raid is full of Discs and Paladins).
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Overhealing is BRUTAL for Mistweavers, simply due to the mechanics behind Uplift.
That and Chi Burst/Torpedo will INEVITABLY pass through targets who need little-to-no healing, and if used appropriately those two abilities are a significant portion of our healing done.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Personally I use LFR to push my output to the max in a stress-free environment. One of the most important things to get right as a healer is a natural feel for how long you can push a certain amount of output before oom. LFR is great for that, because even if you do oom early you can still provide enough output to beat the encounter running on fumes. In this situation the split between healing and overhealing done is irrelevant....its practice with spell selection that is the most helpful.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I don't think the 2nd haste point is necessary for healing LFR. Besides Renew on tanks, it just doesn't feel effective to spam Renew, especially when there are always druids (and disc priests) around. During light damage phase, it's all about instant smart heals; during heavy aoe, it's about PoH spam, CoH and PoM on cooldown.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
http://howtopriest.com/

good priesty reading

You have ones for other healer sites? paly, monk, shaman, etc.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
If you could, maybe get a World of Logs account, and take a couple logs for us to look at.

It'll be even more useful than looking at recount/skada meters.

LFR logs can be a bit messy, but we still might be pick out some useful bits of information for you from them.

I went ahead and changed some gems around which boosted my int and brought me to the next haste breakpoint. I also re-glyphed renew as it made since to from the added haste.

Spent some time cross-eyed trying to figure out how to make World of Logs work but I think I managed to get it working. This is what I have so far, but this was the first lfr and I have it pretty much memorized knowing exactly when damage is going to hit so it’s not really a good test in my opinion, but maybe you can see some taboo habits that I have acquired.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-9unw9obf6yy9yqo9/details/40/?s=560&e=750

I will run it again tonight on content that I am currently on which will give a better restutls.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
04/22/2013 02:53 PMPosted by Acero
paly,

Usually ten ton hammer and ej though i am sure there are better

shaman

life in group 5

04/22/2013 02:53 PMPosted by Acero
monk,

My monk is still a baby and have invested very little time in it. Someday i will finish it up and get a little further along with the theories behind it.

Restokin is pretty good for druid stuff.
Edited by Sadiemay on 4/23/2013 7:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]