Ret pvp

100 Undead Rogue
I have a 83 pally and am thinking about lvling him up for pvp. But am seeing a lot of bad remarks about ret pallys in pvp. Is it worth getting him into pvp or would something like a arms war be more viable and do more dmg

Tyvm
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Ret has has this Stigma about it for years.

It's an interesting spec because it's often compared to other melee as if you can just compare apples to apples.

Paladins aren't, warrior's, rogues, dk's, etc.

Your a support dps, and it's a very unique roll because there are few dps who can assist a team the way a retribution paladin can. They have a lot of tools, abilities and responsibilities to max out the character. Where as say a warrior just tunnels, and throws out the occasional peel. It's truly a jack of all trades spec.

Ret's can be very dangerous alone, especially with cooldowns. But they shine when they support their allies, and make them better. People get upset they can't play a Ret like a war, or even to a degree a DK, and they !@#$% and complain.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
Yeah the thing about casters is I'm not really good at them and probly never will be. I hate it how u have to wait for a spell to cast because I always seem to get silenced or stunned while trying to get 1 off or they run behind me. I like mellee because as soon as u hit the attack it does it. I know casters like locks are good for bgs etc but I think I like and am better at mellee anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
You have to like what you do. When Mists came out, I had a max-level Beast Mastery Hunter, during the days of the one-shot macro. Amusing the first few times, boring after that. The people on this forum that talk up Retribution (myself included) love the flavor and versatility of the spec. The detractors hate it for it not fulfilling some niche that they feel it should have, whether it be dedicated heals, faceroll DPS, et cetera.

My recommendation is to give it a try. If you find the fit works for you, cultivate a love for the spec. If it doesn't, please don't turn into an Invincible-poster and haunt the forums complaining rather than roll something new that might be to your liking.
Reply Quote
I have a 83 pally and am thinking about lvling him up for pvp. But am seeing a lot of bad remarks about ret pallys in pvp. Is it worth getting him into pvp or would something like a arms war be more viable and do more dmg

Tyvm

First, play what you like, otherwise its just a job.

Second, pallies are fine in pvp BUT its different in different venues of pvp. In World pvp/random bgs your on your own. In Arena's your support that can dps (not dps that can support, its an important distinction). And lastly in rated bg's... oh wait lol nvm.
Reply Quote
1 Orc Warrior
You have to like what you do. When Mists came out, I had a max-level Beast Mastery Hunter, during the days of the one-shot macro. Amusing the first few times, boring after that. The people on this forum that talk up Retribution (myself included) love the flavor and versatility of the spec. The detractors hate it for it not fulfilling some niche that they feel it should have, whether it be dedicated heals, faceroll DPS, et cetera.

My recommendation is to give it a try. If you find the fit works for you, cultivate a love for the spec. If it doesn't, please don't turn into an Invincible-poster and haunt the forums complaining rather than roll something new that might be to your liking.

Atleast we got rid of Agincourt ..
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
You definitely have to remember you're not a warrior. If what you like is to rush down targets and deal as much damage as possible, Ret will not be what you expected. You come into this thing knowing that have strong burst every 2 min, about medium sustained damage (easily trumped by other classes), "okay" CC, and extremely awesome support skills. In general, you play support with brief periods of crazy damage.

To me, this feels good with the lore of a Paladin. Yes, you can kill, but you kill to defend. People are glad to see you because they know you put them as your first priority.

It's a true hybrid role, where if you play fully offensively, OR fully defensively, you are not playing correctly. The playstyle rewards you for knowing when to do what, and I know it sounds convoluted... but it just feels right.
Edited by Shinn on 4/22/2013 7:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]