Books you read, then read again, and again

90 Tauren Druid
Yet another variation on the book thread. Not your first book, or the book that influenced you the most, or your favorite book, but what is the book that always ends up in your hand again and again?

A Wrinkle in Time. I think I read this for the first time around fourth grade. That was twenty-six years ago. Since then, it seems that any time I go visit my parents' home, after saying good night to everyone, I pull this one off the shelf and stay up until I've read the last page.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Dune - I read this yearly it seems.

The Alchemist - Whenever I'm having a major depressive episode

The Wheel of Time - I go through the whole series every time a new book comes out. Now that it's finished, I'll probably go through it again soon.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
It's not as much of a cover-to-cover reader, but I pick up and re-read sections of Robert Anton Wilson's Prometheus Rising all the time.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Clan of the Cave Bear
Mists of Avalon
Kushiel's Dart, Kushiel's Chosen, Kushiel's Avatar
The Watch books from the Discworld mega-series

They all get read pretty much about once a year.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Lord of the Rings. I'm with Chistopher Lee on this one: read it once a year.

I find myself rereading the Dresden Files quite a bit. Lots in there to digest. I don't do a whole series reading, but pick up different books from time to time. Always find something illuminating.

I reread a lot of L.E. Modesitt, too. Again, there's a lot in there to digest over the breadth of the multiple series. I do find myself with Magi'i and Scions of Cyador more often than many of the others, however.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Good books - love Dune, Wheel of Time and anything Mercedes Lackey has written. Lord of the Rings I read once a year for maybe 25 years, starting in 1969. Now it's every two to three years.

Here's a new one to try: The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. First novel and it is magical. Haunting. Amazing. I've read it twice and listened to the audio book twice.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Good Omens

pretty much any of the Discworld books

the Sookie Sackhouse series

the Anita Blake books (up until Obsidian Butterfly. not a fan of the books after that one)

and the Rowan series. Not a fan of the rest of McCaffry's books but I really like the Rowan series.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Good Omens

the Anita Blake books
(up until Obsidian Butterfly. not a fan of the books after that one)

and the Rowan series. Not a fan of the rest of McCaffry's books but I really like the Rowan series.

Have you tried the Rachel Morgan/Hollows series by Kim Harrison? If you like Sookie and Anita, you'll probably dig Rachel.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Good Omens

the Anita Blake books
(up until Obsidian Butterfly. not a fan of the books after that one)

Have you tried the Rachel Morgan/Hollows series by Kim Harrison? If you like Sookie and Anita, you'll probably dig Rachel.

not sure, is that "Long Time Listener, First time Werewolf" That was a fun series, the whole Supernatural advice Radio show was a neat idea
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
Melanie Rawn's:

Dragon Prince Trilogy:

Dragon Prince
The Star Scroll
Sunrunner's Fire

Dragon Star Trilogy:

Stronghold
The Dragon Token
Skybowl

I have read these books over and over again. In all honesty I had to think about this choice. Melanie Rawn wins, just barely, but over Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman's "The Death Gate Cycle."
Reply Quote
19 Orc Hunter
I tend to re-read series often.
Wheel of Time a number of times as each new book was released.

I just finished going through the Dark Tower series again. Man that is a fun ride.

Phitz, I forgot all about both of those series, I read them years ago and loved them both. Might be time for another look
Reply Quote
33 Blood Elf Paladin
Kiss Me, Judas by Will Christopher Baer.

It is such an amazing book, as are the two sequels to it. If you like anything by Chuck Palahniuk (in his early years) or Craig Clevenger, its totally worth the read.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Jurassic Park
Dragonlance Legends/Chronicles trilogies
House of Leaves

Couple of my friends think it's weird to re-read books, but I love it. There's a quote from Storm of Swords that's just perfect:

Jojen: "Bran has heard that tale a hundred times, I'm sure."

"No," said Bran. "I haven't. And if I have it doesn't matter. Sometimes Old Nan would tell the same story she'd told before, but we never minded, if it was a good story. Old stories are like old friends, she used to say. You have to visit them from time to time."
Reply Quote
The lord of the rings, The Host, The trilogy of the Golden Compass, Harry Potter, The trilogy of the gods (in french). So many.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
A lot of David Eddings material honestly.

The Belgariad, The Malorean, The Elenium and the Tamuli in particular

All told, thats 16 books (well, 18 with the 2 main companion books to the Belgarion books) and i literally am on my 2nd and 3rd copies of every book there, only because i seriously read the covers off of them.

My favorite author. My favorite worlds. Some of my favorite characters.

R.I.P. David and Leigh Eddings... this fan misses you :(
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Dune - I read this yearly it seems.

Herbert's stuff is just awesome---and quite philosophical too.

I also pick up The House of the Scorpion, by Nancy Farmer, and Moby Dick, by Melville.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Fallen Angels by Walter Dean Myers.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

All told, thats 16 books (well, 18 with the 2 main companion books to the Belgarion books) and i literally am on my 2nd and 3rd copies of every book there, only because i seriously read the covers off of them.

/signed.

Their Old Gods series (or something like that) was severely lacking though. I just didn't feel the magic. The Redemption of Althalus was an enjoyable read though (even though the characters were your typical Eddings archetypes).
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

/signed.

Their Old Gods series (or something like that) was severely lacking though. I just didn't feel the magic. The Redemption of Althalus was an enjoyable read though (even though the characters were your typical Eddings archetypes).

yea, the "gods" books kinda sucked... but that was largely because Mr. Eddings had lost his muse (this was after Leigh died) i believe. I read that whole series and it frustrated me because of how weak it was for eddings material.

Agreed that Althalus wasn't bad. Not the pinnacle of their books, but still enjoyable.

I'm seriously starved for good reading material these days.... i know its out there but once the Eddings couple stopped putting out books and they trashed the Forgotten Realms with that spellplague crap (which was a 100 year timeskip in which they killed off 90% of my favorite characters...) i just can't seem to find a good book series.

I grabbed the first book of the Wheel of Time series on my kindle the other day. Never read it personally... but i'm having trouble getting into it... dunno, might just be me lol *shrug*
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]