Friending people on other Realms

85 Blood Elf Paladin
I just recently started play WoW again and I noticed recently that you can now add the Battle Tag for people in other realms, is that the same as a RealID? I would love to add a few people I have met from other realms, but since I don't know them in real life I don't want them to have my real name and such you know? They are strangers afterall, If you add through the battletag will they see all of your info with that also?

Sorry if this has been asked before...

Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Yes, this is similar to RealID, without giving the personal info. I'm not really sure how it works, though.
Reply Quote
Battletag friends know each other solely through the Battletag ID. My Battle Tag friends would only know me as Xunn#1234 (not actual), and I their Battletag ID's.

If I were playing other Blizzard games such as Starcraft2, they would know I was on and what I am currently playing. They would additionally be able to /whisper me, and see my online status (away, do-not-disturb, awesomesauce, ect.), but they cannot see my email address or account name.

As always, be careful whom you choose to add as friends. If you think that trouble could come about a new Battletag friend, or you don't trust them, they may not be a good choice to invite.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
The battletag system will do exactly as you want it to: all your characters and all of their characters will be able to see each other is online and talk, no matter what realm or faction the characters are that you are playing, without the real-life identity exchange.

Just be careful who you give your battletag info to, it's not as personal as your real-life info, but it is tied to every character you will ever make in any Battle.net based Blizzard game. If they end up being someone you want to escape from or hide from, you won't be able to without abandoning everything and starting a completely new battle.net account.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I just recently started play WoW again and I noticed recently that you can now add the Battle Tag for people in other realms, is that the same as a RealID? I would love to add a few people I have met from other realms, but since I don't know them in real life I don't want them to have my real name and such you know? They are strangers afterall, If you add through the battletag will they see all of your info with that also?

Sorry if this has been asked before...

Thanks!

As others have pointed out, you share a significant amount of info with even just a battletag. For most people, Battletags are used for irl friends as well as quite strong in game relationships. I would not hand them out just based on someone was good in a dungeon and many would be extremely wary about accepting such a request
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Hmm, Thanks for that information everyone. I wasnt aware they would be able to see every character you have. So you can't just add their character if they are cross-realm? Since they now identify people as their character name - Realm. I would assume you could, but I see no way to do that. That sucks, but oh well. thanks for that information!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
WoW does have a per-character friend's list, BUT the other player's character has to be from the same home server as you.

If that's the case then you just type in the name of that character into your friends list, then you only see when they log into that one character and they only see you when you log into that one character of yours.

If you just want to be friends with them on one character of yours and one character of theirs, but they're from a different realm than you, then you're out of luck.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
WoW does have a per-character friend's list, BUT the other player's character has to be from the same home server as you.

If that's the case then you just type in the name of that character into your friends list, then you only see when they log into that one character and they only see you when you log into that one character of yours.

If you just want to be friends with them on one character of yours and one character of theirs, but they're from a different realm than you, then you're out of luck.

Yeah, thats what I gathered which kind of sucks though. thanks (:
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
any idea why my requests are not being seen for the other player? my requests go through on my side but the person im friending isnt getting the request? whats up
Reply Quote
100 Troll Priest
Highlander, in the future feel free to start your own thread :)

A possible reason is that you and/or the other person unknowingly has parental controls set up that would prevent the use of battletag friending. The other possibility is a UI error.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
A possible reason is that you and/or the other person unknowingly has parental controls set up that would prevent the use of battletag friending. The other possibility is a UI error.

Or the person you're friending is on a trial account.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]