My Ret DPS sucks... baffled.

90 Human Paladin
So I've been hitting a target dummy for like the last 30 minutes. Switched out some gemming/enchants, redid the reforge a couple of times and can't seem to break 42-45k DPS (no wings, no Holy Avenger). I'm at a complete loss why my DPS is so low. Can anyone spot check my armory and see if there's something blatantly wrong in my gear/gems ?

Maybe I just suck at hitting the proper sequence of buttons or something -_-.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
Dummy DPS generally isn't a good indication of actual DPS since you're missing buffs and debuffs. Also not using cooldowns is going to be a pretty noticeable hit to DPS.

I didn't see any notable issues with your Armory though.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
I'm'na lay blame on your trinkets and weapon enchant. Dancing Steel is a massive DPS boost. If you can afford one, or can assemble one cheaply, DMR:X is still an amazing trinket for starting out.

Other than those two things, though, I'd say it is very likely a rotational issue. Have you tried using CLCRet? It would be a good place to start to make sure you're using the best priority until you get more comfortable with it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I tried it with Spellflash. Priority list that I used was Templar's verdict > Exorcism > Crusader Strike > Judgement, always keeping that buff to Holy Damage up at all times as much as possible (forget the name of it).

Ret is of course an off spec for me, so Dancing Steel probably won't happen, Windsong being so cheap. What's a DMR:X ? I know my +exp trinket probably ain't too hot, it's a reject from my Tanking set.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
your trinkets need replacing and weapon enchant def, Gorgnard is right. other things im seeing is some gems, prismatic go with 320 Haste. Pieces that don't have Haste on them get rid of them and get more haste. Reforging try

Neck- Hit>Haste
Shoulders- Crit>Haste
Back-Hit>Mastery
remove from bracers
Waist- Hit>Exp
Legs-Exp>Haste
Feet- Crit>Haste
Ring2-remove reforge

180 STR to bracers and 180 hit to cloak
Ur use trinket be sure its being used, especially with wings and guardian. Also try Sanctified Wrath instead of holy avenger.

Glyphs I use mass exorcism and double jeapordy.

I'm using a 483 weapon usually holding 80-100k, and bursting 200-250k
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Are we talking about a target dummy here ? O_O.

Before tonight, I was all Quick Sun Radiance's in my ret gear, and it didn't make a difference really. Icy Veins was proposing +STR as a 1st priority stat and to use the orange +STR/+Haste gems in prismatic/red sockets so I tried it out and it didn't seem to help.
Edited by Berith on 4/21/2013 7:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
IcyVeins and Noxxic are both terrible resources; do not listen to either.

DMR:X is a Darkmoon Relic: Xuen; it's an amazing trinket which, despite its item level, was highly competitive with normal raid trinks last tier. But, with Ret being your off-spec, it's probably not going to be worth the investment.

For stats and gear, strength is the greatest determining factor in a potential upgrade as it weighs more, point for point, than anything else; gems, though, are different since secondary stats have twice as many points on gems as there are primary stats. Once your haste:strength ratio is at the 2>=1, haste-biased gemming becomes superior to strength-biased. For haste-biased gemming, Fierce gems are used for red sockets only and prismatics/yellows are taken by Quick gems.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
04/21/2013 07:48 PMPosted by Berith

Are we talking about a target dummy here ? O_O.

Before tonight, I was all Quick Sun Radiance's in my ret gear, and it didn't make a difference really. Icy Veins was proposing +STR as a 1st priority stat and to use the orange +STR/+Haste gems in prismatic/red sockets so I tried it out and it didn't seem to help.

I do very little with dummies no its what I'm running in 10m Throne of thunder.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-mz7lrt1wqk7746jh/analyze/dd/source/

Log on a dummy. 76k with only kings buff. I gem haste in prismatic and yellow sockets str/haste in red, and haste/hit in blue, my haste rating is 9k
Edited by Paygan on 4/22/2013 12:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8568890781#16
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Your haste is extremely low. Mine is at 20.xx and it's still low. This is going to have a major effect on your dps as haste is going to give you more attacks because of the decreased gcd. I'm only 1 ilvl above you (504) and I'm putting out 60K+ without wings and goak.

When I burst in a raid, with all raid buffs, I'm pretty consistent between 85 and 90K. But on Jin'Roc for example, first boss in ToT, when I get the added water buff, and lust on first water buff, my dps shoots up to about 150K.

Haste is everything.
Reply Quote
@Berith: Took the liberty to SimC your profile, with self mastery buff & physical vuln. debuff, your dummy output over 803 seconds is 66k. Now this is under the "elite" player skill setting, where you're pretty much making zero mistakes or delays. What I would do is go hit a dummy for about the same time, and compare the numbers like "how many times did I CS, TV, Exo?"

I think the dummy in the simulation actually decreases in hp% over time, so your actual HoW usage is going to be different, when on an in-game raid dummy.

Link to SimC results: http://imgur.com/a/H7Ytl
Edited by Lufen on 4/22/2013 11:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
check mr robot, and use CLCRet with a good priority, the rest is up to you.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
04/22/2013 06:47 AMPosted by Nimaj
I'm only 1 ilvl above you (504) and I'm putting out 60K+ without wings and goak.

Hum, you're 23 ilvls above me ;) My Ret set is 481 with a 489 weapon. My 1h prot weapon has as much white DPS (not min-max obviously) as my 2h -_-.

@Berith: Took the liberty to SimC your profile, with self mastery buff & physical vuln. debuff, your dummy output over 803 seconds is 66k. Now this is under the "elite" player skill setting, where you're pretty much making zero mistakes or delays. What I would do is go hit a dummy for about the same time, and compare the numbers like "how many times did I CS, TV, Exo?"

Thanks! I was running a pure baseline (only buff being the holy damage one, unglyphed), but I'll take a few of the advices in this thread, switch back my prismatics to QSRs, change some enchants around to try and up Haste a bit without sacrificing my expertise and hit soft caps and see what it does. I'll do a couple of practice runs.

I was using Recount to check my DPS/Damage Done, is there a better add-on for this sort of testing ?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
04/22/2013 02:59 AMPosted by Invincible
kings

Should specify which kings. According to WoL it's Goak.

As in buffs I used Blessing of kings only, and yes I did use my Cooldowns in rotation Guardian I really don't count as a buff as compared to being a Damage CD.
Reply Quote
I was using Recount to check my DPS/Damage Done, is there a better add-on for this sort of testing?
Recount will do fine, you'll just have to keep track of time separately and stop when it matches SimC's timeframe. I usually am able to deliver 90% of theoretical dps on the dummy. A 10 minute test is not a large sample, but you can get a decent idea.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Hum, you're 23 ilvls above me ;) My Ret set is 481 with a 489 weapon. My 1h prot weapon has as much white DPS (not min-max obviously) as my 2h -_-.

Totally my fault. I looked at your profile and assumed you were in your ret set so skipped directly down to your stats. Oops.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]