The Hobbit

100 Human Paladin
First of all; I am a huge fan of Tolkien's Legendarium

But

I cant really put my finger on it, but, I'm not sure if i liked it. I didnt have great expectations honestly. I'm just fighting with myself on my opinion of it.

Liked it cause it put into visual perspective the adventures of Bilbo Baggins; didnt like it cause.. well.. im not too sure. Maybe because it kindaaa strayed from the book (thats not always bad, but i think that may be why). Idk

What are your thoughts
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
I enjoyed the part where they ate for 45 minutes straight. Amazing.

It was like being a fat convention where nobody is attempting to lose weight.
Reply Quote
78 Pandaren Monk
I think the biggest issue with it was stretching the story out over three movies vs. two that was originally planned and making the movie almost three hours long. Like the poster above me pointed out 45 minutes to eat dinner in a movie?

I enjoyed it much more at home on 3D blu ray being that it was split over two discs. Gave it a nice intermission and didn't break the pacing at all.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I think the biggest issue with it was stretching the story out over three movies vs. two that was originally planned and making the movie almost three hours long. Like the poster above me pointed out 45 minutes to eat dinner in a movie?

I enjoyed it much more at home on 3D blu ray being that it was split over two discs. Gave it a nice intermission and didn't break the pacing at all.

I feel this entirely explains why there's three movies, http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20120801
Reply Quote
100 Human Monk
I liked the movie, was kind of nice seeing this world again. There aren't many fantasy type movies out there on the big screen right now. I could tell, that the studio have put alot of work into it. For me, it was entertaining.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
This. The book itself could've been crammed into one single movie. Honestly it bothers me that the events that take place in the book seem to be almost a side plot to what the movie is depicting with the Necromancer. Bilbo feels more like a sidekick than a hero - that's not cool. It should be his story, not Gandalf's.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
[quote] Bilbo feels more like a sidekick than a hero - that's not cool. It should be his story, not Gandalf's.

Actually, that's about what he is until deep in Mirkwood. Bilbo doesn't really come into his own until dealing with the spiders and the elves. He really stands up when dealing with Thorin after Smaug is dead. Things are told from his perspective, but he doesn't reach his potential until things start to get really rough.

Also, all the things "added" to the movie come from Tolkien's other work. Mostly, it's from the appendices, but some from the Silmarillion. It's still Tolkien and it is canon.

Personally, I really liked the excursions into lesser known aspects of the whole story. I'm really hoping we'll see Gandalf actually go into Dol Guldur and his discovery of Thrain. I like detail stuff like this and was actually a bit disappointed that this sort of thing happened "off screen" in The Hobbit and the LotR.
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Hunter
it seems far more..for lack of better word, cartoony than LOTR, maybe lower budget? I still found it decent, and if i had known it was 3 parts like LOTR i would of waiting a couple years before i watched it
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Well, remember The Hobbit was mostly written as a children's story. A lot of that still clings to it in the movie, hence the somewhat exaggerated depictions of events and people.

I do believe Jackson and company have tried to move it away from that to some degree, but that's what it was and it still shows through.
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Paladin
I enjoyed the part where they ate for 45 minutes straight. Amazing.

It was like being a fat convention where nobody is attempting to lose weight.

Is it uncommon where you come from for a meal at a party to last less than 45 minutes? About an hour to an hour and a half is the norm in my experience. I understand that Bilbo had no clue that they were coming, but the end result was that there was a large gathering that more or less ended up being a party (that the host had no idea about).

Also, what does your last statement have to do with anything in The Hobbit (book or movie)? Dwarves are renowned in Tolkein's work for their love of beer and hobbits are renowned for their love of food. I don't think it was ever mentioned in any of the works that either dwarves or hobbits were trying to lose weight
Reply Quote
I enjoyed it. It really blew the old cartoon-movie from the 70's out of the water. I haven't read the book all the way through, I got to around after the dragon goes berserk on some town (about 3/4 through the book?), and that's off of hazy memory since it's been close to 10 years since I read that much....

If the 45 minute dinner scene is the one I'm thinking of, I won't say it's great, but it did somewhat follow the format from the book, with all the dwarves meeting up, being introduced to their burglar etc...

My only gripes if any, the Blu-Ray disc I got was single disc, I mean, I still have the 4-disc box-sets for the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and love them; I later read up and discovered the multi-disc boxes are coming later this year, I guess as some cash-in for the Christmas season, or some such.

And also, the fact that it's being made into three different movies.... it's one book, and adding all the extra material is ok I guess, but really, three movies for ONE book? That HAS to be some new record....
Reply Quote
55 Draenei Death Knight
I didn't think dwarves would work but you know what, everything was great, I might go see the second one in theater. This open the world to me and added so muc more debt the lotr where everything was a tight and narrow focus. I guess you could say hobbits were world building.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
And also, the fact that it's being made into three different movies.... it's one book, and adding all the extra material is ok I guess, but really, three movies for ONE book? That HAS to be some new record....

Tolkien was a wordy bastard.

Hemingway was quite likely the only renowned author to be 'wordier' than Tolkien. Things in the book move fast, though, and they're wanting to address the entire story. Given that the entire story is actually quite longer than the book, it will have to be split into multiple films.

Frankly, I like that it's being split into multiple films. Tolkien's works are supposed to be epic in the telling, and as such, so should the films be.

The best film series are trilogies: Star Wars, The Matrix, Lord of the Rings, Iron Man etc.

As an addendum: I mentioned Iron Man, and yes Iron Man 3 was great. Don't worry, I won't spoil.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
05/04/2013 02:54 PMPosted by Amaer

Tolkien was a wordy bastard.

Hemingway was quite likely the only renowned author to be 'wordier' than Tolkien. Things in the book move fast, though, and they're wanting to address the entire story. Given that the entire story is actually quite longer than the book, it will have to be split into multiple films.

Frankly, I like that it's being split into multiple films. Tolkien's works are supposed to be epic in the telling, and as such, so should the films be.

The best film series are trilogies: Star Wars, The Matrix, Lord of the Rings, Iron Man etc.

As an addendum: I mentioned Iron Man, and yes Iron Man 3 was great. Don't worry, I won't spoil.

Yes and no, splitting books into multiple movies is becoming an annoying trend I'm seeing. And in the case of the hobbit there's scenes that are blatantly dragged out to the point where it's obvious that despite conveying the message from the book there's blatant filler.

Part of good editing and directing is being able to tell a story without it dragging on and if he could lord of the rings in three movies it's just insulting that the hobbit would need 3 as well.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
They slashed and burned to fit the LotR into three movies.

Personally, I'd rather they restored material (and rewrote Faramir's portrayal) even if it took another 2.5 hour movie.

Editing, especially from a book, is always tricky, but I'd rather see things done correctly and completely, no matter how much time it eventually takes up.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Rogue
Editing, especially from a book, is always tricky, but I'd rather see things done correctly and completely, no matter how much time it eventually takes up.

This. I know the majority of movie go-ers want fast paced, straight to the point 1.5 to 2 hour films, but I wouldn't have minded a 6 hour, word for word movie. I think Jackson did the right thing by hitting the middle ground.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
Too much CGI.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
They slashed and burned to fit the LotR into three movies.

Personally, I'd rather they restored material (and rewrote Faramir's portrayal) even if it took another 2.5 hour movie.

I would have liked to see more of the books in the LOTR movies but when I watched the hobbit while I over all liked the movie there were definitely scenes in there that were unneeded and purely just in there to pad the running time.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/the-hobbit-meme.jpg
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]