The Hobbit

100 Troll Shaman
05/04/2013 09:10 PMPosted by Ziryus
scenes in there that were unneeded

Most movies have scenes that can be argued to be not needed that doesn't mean they dont add to the storyline.

Edit: I am not saying there was nothing in the hobbit that did not add anything to the story. I am simply saying that the argument about scenes being unnecessary is kind of silly.
Edited by Taluun on 5/5/2013 8:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/the-hobbit-meme.jpg

Remember how epic the Battle for Helm's Deep was?

In the books it covered less than 1% of the narrative. Most of The Battle of Five Armies in The Hobbit isn't even written down since Bilbo was unconscious for most of it; he was filled in on what happened later.

And all you get about Gandalf was him telling Bilbo (in about a sentence):

1) There was an important meeting of The White Council, and
2) They drove the Necromancer out of Mirkwood.

There's more than enough material here for a trilogy; although I'm curious about the extended editions. An Unexpected Journey felt a bit stretched already, so I'm not entirely sure what else they could add.

I'm just glad they can -add- information though, instead of cutting it like from The Lord of the Rings.
Edited by Verelyse on 5/5/2013 6:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
scenes in there that were unneeded

Most movies have scenes that can be argued to be not needed that doesn't mean they dont add to the storyline.

Edit: I am not saying there was nothing in the hobbit that did not add anything to the story. I am simply saying that the argument about scenes being unnecessary is kind of silly.

I'm more making the argument that scenes were intentionally padded with the intent to pad the running time. It wasn't just bad editing it was intent to make the book into three movies needlessly.

All I can say is books are not scripts for movies, when done properly they can be excellent source material for good movie scripts.
Edited by Ziryus on 5/5/2013 11:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
...intent to make the book into three movies needlessly.

I don't think it was done needlessly. The stuff (well, most of it) added were things Tolkien glossed over in the book, but are very important to the overall story, particularly how it interfaces with the LotR and the Silmarillion.

I, for one, am very interested in how Dol Guldor, the White Council meetings, and said Council's attack on Dol Guldor will be portrayed. Not to mention actually meeting Dain, Thrain, Radagast (this one was a bit much), and the like. It's all interesting stuff and I enjoy seeing Jackson's take on it.

You can complain about length all you want, but the fact is it's a huge body of work and bringing it to the big screen in an appropriate fashion simply will make for a long movie.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
05/05/2013 11:54 AMPosted by Rashadril
...intent to make the book into three movies needlessly.

I don't think it was done needlessly. The stuff (well, most of it) added were things Tolkien glossed over in the book, but are very important to the overall story, particularly how it interfaces with the LotR and the Silmarillion.

I, for one, am very interested in how Dol Guldor, the White Council meetings, and said Council's attack on Dol Guldor will be portrayed. Not to mention actually meeting Dain, Thrain, Radagast (this one was a bit much), and the like. It's all interesting stuff and I enjoy seeing Jackson's take on it.

You can complain about length all you want, but the fact is it's a huge body of work and bringing it to the big screen in an appropriate fashion simply will make for a long movie.

To make it clear I'm not complaining about the length, I'm complaining about why the length is as long as it is.

Are you telling me there wasn't a single scene where you wanted a wrap it up button?
Edited by Ziryus on 5/5/2013 5:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
Are you telling me there wasn't a single scene where you wanted a wrap it up button?

are you telling me you dont feel this way about like 99% of all movies?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
05/05/2013 07:11 PMPosted by Taluun

are you telling me you dont feel this way about like 99% of all movies?

Movies that I consider well done? Nope.

And i mean this from an editing stand point, I enjoyed the hobit but there was a lot of fat there that could have been cut out.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
Movies that I consider well done? Nope.

I see lots of movies as well done but I also in those same movies see scenes that don't progress it forward. Thats not to say I don't enjoy those scenes but when you start claiming things are unnecessary then you have to start cutting out things you enjoy.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue

Honestly I did at times, which is why I'm curious about what they could add to the extended edition.

But while that dropped the first film a point or two for me, I expect it to pay off in films two and three.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
The only thing I felt was a bit overblown and could have been done without were the chase scenes. That went a bit overboard--especially the Radagast one.

Other than that, I'm fine with it. Looking forward to the Director's Cut and the second movie quite a bit.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
05/06/2013 09:41 AMPosted by Rashadril
The only thing I felt was a bit overblown and could have been done without were the chase scenes. That went a bit overboard--especially the Radagast one.

This. The Radagast chase scene had no place in the movie at all. Most of Radagast's scenes could have easily been halved while preserving the story.

I was very disappointed with the way they portrayed the death of the Great Goblin. The scene from the book was awesome.

Just at that moment all the lights in the cavern went out, and the great fire went off poof! into a tower of blue glowing smoke, right up to the roof, that scattered piercing white sparks all among the goblins. The yells and yammering, croaking, jibbering and jabbering; howls, growls and curses; shrieking and skriking, that followed were beyond description. Several hundred wild cats and wolves being roasted slowly alive together would not have compared with it. The sparks were burning holes in the goblins, and the smoke that now fell from the roof made the air too thick for even their eyes to see through. Soon they were falling over one another and rolling in heaps on the floor, biting and kicking and fighting as if they had all gone mad.

Suddenly a sword flashed in its own light. Bilbo saw it go right through the Great Goblin as he stood dumbfounded in the middle of his rage. He fell dead, and the goblin soldiers fled before the sword shrieking into the darkness.

Instead we got the lights out bit, a prolonged chase scene, and a crappy duel.
Reply Quote
66 Dwarf Warrior
When I first saw The Hobbit I prepared myself on a few things: actors aging, better and different CGI and shooting techniques. The introduction creates enough momentum to dwell you into the story even if you haven't read the book, which you should. The impact upon seeing the actors playing Gandalf and Bilbo ten years older might impact you at first.
I was worried I was going to see some mistakes in time construction vs CGI advancement of the last ten years, like it happened for Prometheus which is a prequel for the very first Alien movie set in the late 70s. There you could see that technologies was better in the past rather in the future.
I was happy that Peter Jackson directed the first one and the following ones, and it would only have made sense since he did the same for the Rings trilogy. That avoided , IMO, major disappointments.

Keep in mind the book vs movie effect, it plays a major role in expectations. The Hobbit is a well done movie and it stands as one of the best of the year, wishing the entire new trilogy can be par to the LOTR.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

Other than that, I'm fine with it. Looking forward to the Director's Cut and the second movie quite a bit.

Seconded. The one that really annoyed me was the goblin caves escape. They could have had a tight, terrifying chase through claustrophobic tunnels but instead the camera pans back and the big CGI-fest chase ensues - and all I could think of while watching it was that god-awful robot factory gaming sequence from Attack of the Clones. Such a visual disconnection.

This kind of thing gets put in 'for the kids' apparently but even my 9 yo niece thought it was ridiculous. She did enjoy Radagast and the worg chase bit though - the elves coming in there to kind-of save the party was her favourite bit. Rest of the movie was good enough to keep her watching throughout. Same for me.
Edited by Shimmerglade on 5/9/2013 5:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Paladin
MST3K mantra comes to mind
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
I'm glad that the movies are long, and I'm glad that they are making three of them. The Hobbit is my favourite book of all time, and seeing it faithfully brought to life pleases me to no end.

So what if average moviegoers aren't happy with the length. The Hobbit trilogy is a love letter to Tolkien fans. In my opinion, the more time I get to spend in Middle Earth, the better.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]