[LFR]: Cata vs. Mist[LOOT]

90 Troll Mage
So I've been running the loot system in my head after missing yet another dozen rolls. I thought I would make a comparison from cata to mist.

In mist, we get this random drop chance of gear. Its pretty low, probably around 20-30%(maybe lower). Now in that 20-30% we have another drop chance, the actual difference in loot you get.(chest, weapon, trinket, etc.) So the odds of you actually getting a planned piece of gear? Pretty low drop per boss kill even with re-roll combined with even lower chance for planned loot.(even though some bosses only drop 2-3 items).

In cata, you get a drop chance of all the items from that specific boss, but it will drop the amount of items every singe time. Dependent upon the boss, good items may be slightly more in drop quantity(i.e. deathwing) Then you have to roll against another person, making pre-mades a constant problem with trades enabled.
-------------------------------------------

In my opinion, it seems mist allows a overall better loot chance. But that chance is ONLY if you re-rolll, and re-do the dungeon many, many times.

If raids were once a week and no loot after that, Cata would win hands down.
Edited by Burntwalrus on 4/25/2013 1:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
What is this I don't even
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
go home burntwalrus, you're drunk.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Wat?

At least MoP is objective. In Cata, you had to hope the piece you wanted dropped AND hope not too many people would roll against you on it. Most of the loot complaints now come from a biased perception from being able to see loot in Cata while getting gold on the side, whereas now if you don't win you just see the gold. Plus, the whole "everyone run with me and roll on my stuffs and trade" debacle.
Reply Quote
55 Worgen Mage
Wat?

At least MoP is objective. In Cata, you had to hope the piece you wanted dropped AND hope not too many people would roll against you on it. Most of the loot complaints now come from a biased perception from being able to see loot in Cata while getting gold on the side, whereas now if you don't win you just see the gold. Plus, the whole "everyone run with me and roll on my stuffs and trade" debacle.

Dont forget the "I'm goin to roll need on this piece of gear I don't need so I can try to get a piece of gear I need later."

God I hated Cata's LFR loot system.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Wat?

Gettin' more gold in MoP anyways.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
Cata LFR was the worst, especially the people who needed on gear you actually needed, while they just DE'd, vendored, or transmogged it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Cata's loot system was terrible for 25 complete strangers.

1. Chance at loot varied based on raid comp. So my chances at loot changed based on the number of other people that could roll on that item. Would often get raids that had overwhelming number of classes on the same token, and as soon as they saw that they would leave since you can only get loot once a week.

2. Loot drama of all kinds. Off specs. Needing to sell. Needing to DE. Needing to transmog. Needing just because. Needing to trade. Trading. "You won my loot give it to me or I will not (heal or tank)". Begging. Kicking winners. A bunch of people go premade to need things to trade in group to increase their chances while lowering the single que people's. People not rolling so they can afk and not get kicked. People leaving before rolling. People not rolling thinking that people that leave do not get a role (hint they do). Spent too much time with this then killing bosses.

3. Wasted loot. How many times did daggers drop when there were no rogues (or all the rogues got legendaries)? Caster mail with no shaman? The bow and polearm with no one to use? Had death wing drop 2 bows and a pole arm with no druids or hunters (back when they were stat sticks).
Edited by Mistearica on 4/25/2013 11:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Mage
If raids were once a week and no loot after that, Cata would win hands down.

Where are these raids that you can run repeatedly for loot in the same week, and how can I get in them?

OP has discovered a gold mine here, folks!
Reply Quote
10 Blood Elf Paladin
theres one reason the gearing system in MoP is bad, and it isnt even related to drop rates.

the problem, is EVERYTHING is tied to LFR. there are no new 5 man dungeons you can do daily. you have one shot per week (two if you raid with your guild) at gear. then you cant really make any progress till resets.

old valor gear costs valor, not JP, which also makes little sense. in any case, blizzard seems to think that grinding the same LFR wing over and over is compelling gameplay. it doesnt fill the role that 5 mans do, if anything this makes the gearing process even slower.

dungeon gear is useless, scenario gear is too rare. that leaves you with LFR/regular raiding. there is no other way to gear up fast unless you are willing to spend a lot of gold.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
the problem, is EVERYTHING is tied to LFR. there are no new 5 man dungeons you can do daily. you have one shot per week (two if you raid with your guild) at gear. then you cant really make any progress till resets.

That's not a problem, it's called fixing a problem. In Cata you had instant catch-up, which was horrible, and Blizzard agreed and still agrees. It doesn't take -that- long to gear up now since you can get 20 coins from the solo scenario in a few days to a week, depending on how lucky you are/much time you spend attempting to get the keys. I never coined in LFR, but can't you coin more than once on ToT LFR bosses?

04/25/2013 12:58 PMPosted by Sanctifìed
old valor gear costs valor, not JP, which also makes little sense.

It makes tons of sense, they don't want instant catch-up like in Cata, whether people buy that gear or not.

it doesnt fill the role that 5 mans do, if anything this makes the gearing process even slower.

God forbid you have to do a tiny bit of laughable work to get geared for raids now, instead of facerolling 5 mans for gear better than or on par with last tiers raid gear.
Edited by Naumu on 4/25/2013 1:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10 Blood Elf Paladin
04/25/2013 01:02 PMPosted by Naumu
That's not a problem, it's called fixing a problem. In Cata you had instant catch-up, which was horrible, and Blizzard agreed and still agrees.

blizzard also thought gating everything behind dailies was a great idea, and they were wrong about that too.

why is instant catchup bad? should people have to run terrace 90 times before they get a weapon upgrade? grinding the same instance with long queue times over and over quickly gets boring. with that spectacular 15% drop rate for gear, it is anything but optimal for gearing up.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
blizzard also thought gating everything behind dailies was a great idea, and they were wrong about that too.

They were wrong about that, I agree, but there's no "too" in there. Sorry. The way they did dailies was HORRIBLE, everyone agrees with that.

04/25/2013 01:08 PMPosted by Sanctifìed
why is instant catchup bad?

Explain to me why it's not bad, then I might give you something serious. You won't convince me or anyone else that it's not bad.
Edited by Naumu on 4/25/2013 1:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10 Blood Elf Paladin
new dungeons dont have to cover every slot either, they could just be a means of getting a few pieces, not every slot. raids would still have valuable tier bonuses and weapons/trinkets.

then again, they say there isnt time to make new dungeons, must be too busy making more dailies :|
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
If you want an alt to raid with, do the same things (not even close to the same as launch as right now) as you did on your main. God forbid spending some time on a second character instead of just gearing it up ASAP.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
There was another problem with Cata's loot system- chances were unbalanced depending on your role. Tank? Sweet, you have a maximum of one other person rolling against you. Caster dps? Haha, just quit.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
SWC
Getting loot bags is less disappointing than seeing something that you really want drop only to have someone win the roll and want to trade it for something that may or maynot drop from the next boss.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
This by far the worst loot system to date. The only thing I have been trying for every week are 1 handed weapons. Months later of wasted time still with a 2 hander.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
This by far the worst loot system to date. The only thing I have been trying for every week are 1 handed weapons. Months later of wasted time still with a 2 hander.

Grab 2 crafted 502 swords. Problem solved.
Edited by Zikx on 5/8/2013 10:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]