Downloading data for an upcoming patch.

(Locked)

Support Forum Agent
We are releasing some of the data for the upcoming 5.3 patch.

This download will be about 280 MB.

We expect the 5.3 patch to be released within the next several weeks. Currently, there is no option to disable this background download. This may be an option sometime in the future.

If you get any errors with this download, or if it is going too slow, or seems to freeze, these are the things to check:

1) Delete the Battle.net cache.
2) Antivirus programs, Security programs, or Firewalls
  • Try a Selective Startup first, to get other programs out of the way.
  • Configure these programs to allow the download.
  • Disable your security programs.
  • Uninstall your security programs. This is just a temporary step, and we recommend reinstalling your security programs after the download has finished.
  • 3) Windows permissions
  • Run WoW in Administrator Mode.
  • Run WoW on another User Account in Windows.
  • 4) Router ports
  • Forward ports 3724, 1119, and 6881-6999 on your router.
  • 5) Re-start the download
  • Open the World of Warcraft folder (you can right-click on the World of Warcraft shortcut, and choose "Open file location".)
  • Go into the Data folder.
  • Delete the wow-update-base-16844.MPQ file.
  • Start up WoW again to start the download again.
  • ________________________________________________
    Monday - Friday, 8 am - 5 pm PST
    Edited by Velnrak on 4/26/2013 8:20 AM PDT
    MVP - Technical Support
    100 Draenei Mage
    What a sticky ?

Didn't see this when I made my thread on this :

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8704281144

:3

There's direct download links in that thread if anyone's interested.

Links to it can also be found on my twitter page at https://twitter.com/bluspacecow
    I actually just came to ask about this, but these repeated patching process are intentional, yes? For the last few weeks, every time (EVERY time) I start up the WoW or D3 clients, I get a two minute patching process going. I'm not complaining, it just seemed that every freaking time was sort of excessive and I thought something might be up with my clients.
    This download will be about 280 MB.

This is very, very useful data for those of us who need to be conscious of download bandwith usage for those of us who have no choice but to use pathetic ISP's who throttle hard... is there any way that you guys can start to regularly put this little blurb of download size into the "news" section of the game launcher for forthcoming and already released patches? It's so much easier to get this info from right within there = rather than track down the info somewhere in the forums if its even available or even worse - find out how huge the patch actually was when either after or during an update your ISP starts to throttle you into oblivion, forcing the download to take forever to accomplish.

Ultimately - it would rock if we could also just manually download a file to update the game, meaning that everything did not have to be done through the launcher connected to the internet... and once that is downloaded once - end users can simply burn to DVD/etc,. running the file on all other computers that may need to be updated rather than eating bandwith multiple times for the exact same patch when you are running WoW on more than one computer access point. Downloading huge patches several times on lets say my desktop and laptop really sucks when you're forced to watch your bandwith consumption.
    MVP - Technical Support
    100 Draenei Mage
    Ultimately - it would rock if we could also just manually download a file to update the game, meaning that everything did not have to be done through the launcher connected to the internet... and once that is downloaded once - end users can simply burn to DVD/etc,. running the file on all other computers that may need to be updated rather than eating bandwith multiple times for the exact same patch when you are running WoW on more than one computer access point. Downloading huge patches several times on lets say my desktop and laptop really sucks when you're forced to watch your bandwith consumption.

You can actually.

See the thread I linked above - you can download the 5.3 pre-patch file manually. Then put it in your Data folder.
    04/29/2013 12:46 AMPosted by Bluspacecow

You can actually.

See the thread I linked above - you can download the 5.3 pre-patch file manually. Then put it in your Data folder.

When I clicked the "5.3" hyperlink - it brought me to an announcement about the Public Test Realm etc and the client for that and the download you referenced..... so my question would be - since this is "Beta" and you need the PTR to use it - how exactly is that updating the Main WoW launcher and game on your computer... as isn't the PTRealm client and WoW launcher client different? I'm not trying to have to copy my character over into the PTR and beta test things out - what I mean't form my original post - is that when final patches come out = I'd like to be able to download them once as a file on some form of media that is large enough to hold it (i.e. DVD etc) and then be able to manually install the same on each computer that I have the WoW launcher/client running on. Are you saying that this file you referenced earlier can be installed into the WoW launcher (with no PTR client installed and that itself will update the game)?

Maybe being the newbie that I am = I don't have the full picture - perhaps you can elaborate for me? I hope what I am wishing to accomplish is more clear for you now... :-D
    Edited by Lafdiadonai on 4/30/2013 1:12 PM PDT
    MVP - Technical Support
    100 Draenei Mage
    04/30/2013 01:11 PMPosted by Lafdiadonai
    When I clicked the "5.3" hyperlink - it brought me to an announcement about the Public Test Realm etc and the client for that and the download you referenced.....

Were you clicking this link in particular :

20 Human Paladin
    when will the patch be released?
    05/01/2013 12:14 AMPosted by Bluspacecow
    When I clicked the "5.3" hyperlink - it brought me to an announcement about the Public Test Realm etc and the client for that and the download you referenced.....

Were you clicking this link in particular :

No, I must have clicked the wrong link *doh*... In any event - while although I still stand by my original statements given those who much watch their bandwith consumption (and can now see that you guys may have some solution for that with links such as the one you suggested I visit earlier)... I for one = couldn't take my service provider anymore (Clear) for any internet purposes and their throttling me down to 0.01 bytes/sec after hardly using any GB's for the month and just "emergency installed" (LOL) in ground broadband once again (business class) with blazing fast speeds; now I couldn't be happier and don't have to any longer care about the size of patch updates etc! Hooray!
    Edited by Lafdiadonai on 5/3/2013 3:48 PM PDT
    100 Human Mage
    when will the patch be released?

Soon™
    This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]